Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jambiya need help (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19856)

Kubur 17th April 2015 09:36 AM

Jambiya need help

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Is it Arabic, I need some help for the translation...
Thank you!!

Kubur

Battara 18th April 2015 03:33 AM

You need to post pictures of the full piece before you get a translation.

BTW - those are Seals of Solomon, very talismanic warding off evil.

Kubur 18th April 2015 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK thanks
it's a Meccan jambiya
I wonder if the script is Arabic or Jew written in Arabic???
thanks

Kubur 21st April 2015 11:10 AM

Pffff really no comments about this inscription?
:(

Mrar 21st April 2015 10:14 PM

Trans

hi,
This is arabic letters and writing, and it is a quote from famous arabic poem. I can write it in arabic If you want

Kubur 22nd April 2015 01:54 PM

Yes please!!!
Do you have any idea about this jambiya and the poem on the blade?
Thank you

Kubur

Mrar 27th April 2015 04:43 PM

the poem dating back to 915-965. But the Jambiya to me seems made around 1950-1970. Mecca style but could be made in Yemen too.

Frankie2503 23rd March 2016 12:44 AM

Eyelash marks on Yemen jambiya blade

Anybody for for know anything about eyelash marks on a Yemen jambiya?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 23rd March 2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie2503
Anybody for for know anything about eyelash marks on a Yemen jambiya?

Salaams Frankie... I cant see any eyelash marks on the project blade...Where are they??.. There are as already pointed out 6 pointed stars which are Talismanic and some arabic . I dont see this as a Jewish weapon or made by Jews... It appears to be Yemeni of the Mecca style .

SEE http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14405

Rattling off a translation is not always the done thing...:) A lot of references carry hidden meanings or are Talismanic in nature making translation something of an avoid if possible situation... These to some people are quite powerful verses... thus some reluctance in translating. All arabic script is by nature Talismanic.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

mariusgmioc 23rd March 2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrar
the poem dating back to 915-965. But the Jambiya to me seems made around 1950-1970. Mecca style but could be made in Yemen too.

I would vote for Mecca. Doesn't look like a typical Yemeni to me.

harrywagner 24th March 2016 01:38 AM

Meccan

2 Attachment(s)
I think Mariusgmioc is right. This one looks Meccan. I have one with similar decoration. Good find!

Miguel 27th March 2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Frankie... I cant see any eyelash marks on the project blade...Where are they??.. There are as already pointed out 6 pointed stars which are Talismanic and some arabic . I dont see this as a Jewish weapon or made by Jews... It appears to be Yemeni of the Mecca style .

SEE http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14405

Rattling off a translation is not always the done thing...:) A lot of references carry hidden meanings or are Talismanic in nature making translation something of an avoid if possible situation... These to some people are quite powerful verses... thus some reluctance in translating. All arabic script is by nature Talismanic.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hello Ibrahiim,

Thank you for pointing out why some people would be reluctant to translate certain inscriptions, I have never given it a thought before your post. I don't think anyone who asks for help, myself included, in translating an inscription gives this a thought. I will be more sensitive in future but it is impossible for anyone who is ignorant of the language the inscription is written in to know whether or not they are the `strong verses` that make people reluctant to comply with the request. It seems like a catch 22 situation.
Regards
Miguel

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 27th March 2016 03:18 PM

Hubble Bubble Toil and Trouble. Leg of newt and eye of bat...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel
Hello Ibrahiim,

Thank you for pointing out why some people would be reluctant to translate certain inscriptions, I have never given it a thought before your post. I don't think anyone who asks for help, myself included, in translating an inscription gives this a thought. I will be more sensitive in future but it is impossible for anyone who is ignorant of the language the inscription is written in to know whether or not they are the `strong verses` that make people reluctant to comply with the request. It seems like a catch 22 situation.
Regards
Miguel

Salaams Miguel, That is why I wrote the post. So people can see that sometimes a few lines remain as un translated... not because the translation is that difficult.. but because of the Talismanic and often hidden meaning. This is occasionally very powerful stuff and not everyone may want to get into it... Medieval blades have something akin to this and it can put some people off ... No reason to apply the catch 22 though :)... :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.