Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indian Pesh-Kabz for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17200)

Cerjak 4th May 2013 06:21 PM

Indian Pesh-Kabz for comment

7 Attachment(s)
Who can tell me more about this Pesh-Kabz ,How old it could be ?

The grip is of (walrus ?) ivory and a heavy T-section blade ,16 inches long.
Any comment on it will be welcome

russel 4th May 2013 07:50 PM

I would say Afghan, not Indian.

manteris1 5th May 2013 02:22 AM

very nice.....................jimmy

bhushan_lawate 5th May 2013 03:47 PM

Hi,

In my opinion the grip slabs are elephant ivory and not walrus.

A nice piece though....!!!! My inclination is North India Mughal influence late 18th century.

We should be able to find more as the experts come in :)

Regards,
Bhushan

weapons 27 5th May 2013 05:18 PM

salut cerjak
ton peshkabz est afghan 19ième , je pense que la poignée est en ivoire d'éléphant... pas du morse..

It is an afghan peshkabz 19th, I think that the handle is of the elephant,not the walrus

Cerjak 5th May 2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weapons 27
salut cerjak
ton peshkabz est afghan 19ième , je pense que la poignée est en ivoire d'éléphant... pas du morse..

It is an afghan peshkabz 19th, I think that the handle is of the elephant,not the walrus

Hi Weapon 27 & Bhushan
Thank you for your answer unfortunately It 's not helping me about age and origin so 18 or 19 Th century ? Indian or Afghan ? :confused:
About the hilt yours opinion are the same so I safe :D

Tim Simmons 5th May 2013 05:59 PM

Looks more like camel bone, but a nice real old knife.

weapons 27 5th May 2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerjak
Hi Weapon 27 & Bhushan
Thank you for your answer unfortunately It 's not helping me about age and origin so 18 or 19 Th century ? Indian or Afghan ? :confused:
About the hilt yours opinion are the same so I safe :D

19ième afhgan

AJ1356 7th May 2013 07:33 AM

As others have stated, it is Afghan not Indian, the grip would be elephant ivory. I'd say 20th century, not 19th.

ariel 7th May 2013 03:49 PM

There was a discussion once on another forum about afghani chooras.
One person put forward a proposition that choora was a direct descendant of the karud, adapted for softer clothes, at the time whan chainmail went out of fashion ( or use). Thus, he claimed that all chooras date from the 20th century, supporting this assertion by the lack of iconographic evidence of their existence in the 19th cen. drawings or photographs.

Since the object in question obviously belongs to the choora/karud group as based on the configuration of its blade, this assertion is very relevant to the topic of this discussion.

My question: any examples of documented chooras from the 19th century or earlier? Any iconography of the 19th century?

CharlesS 7th May 2013 04:14 PM

Is anyone else seeing the porous nature of the hilt scales....might this be bone, rather than ivory?

sandeepsingh 12th May 2013 06:27 PM

Hi,
Grip is ivory and seems to be Indian.
It may be influenced from afghan pesh-Kabz form.
Thanks
Sandeep

mahratt 12th May 2013 09:10 PM

I believe that this is an item from Afghanistan. Late 19th century - beginning of the 20th century. Bone handle - not an ivory (elephant tusk), and the usual bone (such as the legs of the animal)

Rick 12th May 2013 09:16 PM

I tend to agree with mahratt; this was not an expensive dagger when new so I doubt it would warrant ivory scales . :shrug:

sandeepsingh 13th May 2013 04:19 PM

Generally crack type linings comes in ivory but i didn't no that such crack type lining comes in bone also.

ariel 13th May 2013 06:37 PM

One can see short longitudinal dark lines: these are periosteal blood vessels.
To simplify: bone. Not ivory.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 14th May 2013 08:32 AM

Ivory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
One can see short longitudinal dark lines: these are periosteal blood vessels.
To simplify: bone. Not ivory.

Salaams Ariel, I was searching for some references on Ivory since I recall the puzzling time I had in Afghanistan trying to figure out what these hilts were made of and I found this ~

Books about Ivory.

IVORY By Geoffrey Wills. Published by AS Barnes & Co. First American Edition. Hardcover, 95 pgs. Indexed. Synopsis: covers ivory identification, care, and uses around the world. Many black and white photographs and line drawings.

Is It Ivory? By Harvey Shell. Published by Ahio Publishing Co., 1983. Paperback.

Identification Guide for Ivory and Ivory Substitutes 2nd Edition. By E.O. Espinoza. Published by the World Wildlife Fund, 1992. Paperback.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

russel 14th May 2013 11:48 PM

The Espinzo guide is quite detailed and helpful. A scanned pdf can be found here:

http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/p...vory-guide.pdf

Russel

Battara 15th May 2013 12:37 AM

Thank you Russell for the link.