Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 16th September 2021, 09:21 AM   #1
mahratt
Member
 
mahratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 911
Default Image of an Indian warrior with a dagger khanjarli.

Dear forum participants. Does any of you know image of an Indian warrior with a dagger khanjarli.

Photo of A Nihang bodyguard serving in the Nizam of Hyderabad's irregular Sikh army, 1865, which supposedly has a khanjarli dagger, I know
Attached Images
 
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 3,342
Default

Hi Mahratt.

Great picture! I enlarged it a bit and adjusted the contrast to show the hilt of his dagger more clearly. In answer to your question, no I have not seen another picture with someone wearing a khanjarli.

Ian

.
Attached Images
 
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2021, 12:16 PM   #3
mahratt
Member
 
mahratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Mahratt.

Great picture! I enlarged it a bit and adjusted the contrast to show the hilt of his dagger more clearly. In answer to your question, no I have not seen another picture with someone wearing a khanjarli.

Ian

.
Hi Ian.

Thanks anyway!
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 05:29 PM   #4
Gonzoadler
Member
 
Gonzoadler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 202
Default

Mahratt, I thought these daggers with an iron handle like the warrior on the picture has are called "Chilanum" and Khanjarlis are looking different?
Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 06:34 PM   #5
mahratt
Member
 
mahratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoadler View Post
Mahratt, I thought these daggers with an iron handle like the warrior on the picture has are called "Chilanum" and Khanjarlis are looking different?
Hello, Gonzoadler. You are undoubtedly right. I marked in the picture
Attached Images
 
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 06:44 PM   #6
mariusgmioc
Member
 
mariusgmioc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,768
Thumbs up

Wow!

Thank you for sharing this very rare photo!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Gonzoadler
Member
 
Gonzoadler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Germany
Posts: 202
Default

Thank you Mahratt, the green marked piece seems indeed to be a Khanjarli.

Regards
Robin
Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 09:14 PM   #8
Saracen
Member
 
Saracen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 135
Default

A good photo. I really like the glance of this bodyguard).
But it piece very little resemblance to khanjarli.
In addition, I have never seen a khanjarli, which is worn on a suspension, and not behind a belt.


Could it be this?
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21429


Last edited by Saracen; 17th September 2021 at 09:28 PM.
Saracen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 01:36 PM   #9
mahratt
Member
 
mahratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
A good photo. I really like the glance of this bodyguard).
But it piece very little resemblance to khanjarli.
In addition, I have never seen a khanjarli, which is worn on a suspension, and not behind a belt.


Could it be this?
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21429

May be. That is why the photo says "possibly khanjarli"

This does not change the question voiced in the title of the topic.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2021, 03:26 PM   #10
kronckew
Member
 
kronckew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Room 101, Glos. UK
Posts: 3,650
Default

Does indeed remind me more of mine, tho your example has more decorative grip rivets...