Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 25th September 2023, 06:33 AM   #121
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 4,028
Default

Thanks Gavin. The handsome guy next to Piang, the officer (?) with the moustache, looks like J.J. Pershing who took up his post in Mindanao in the second half of 1899.

Last edited by Ian; 25th September 2023 at 06:45 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2023, 03:04 PM   #122
Gavin Nugent
Member
 
Gavin Nugent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks Gavin. The handsome guy next to Piang, the officer (?) with the moustache, looks like J.J. Pershing who took up his post in Mindanao in the second half of 1899.
The other interesting thing is Piang was well known for gifting all sorts of things, including weapons, from Lantaka to knives depending on the rank or importance of the US Officer. Could the double lantaka under Piang's foot is one such gift.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2023, 07:18 AM   #123
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
The other interesting thing is Piang was well known for gifting all sorts of things, including weapons, from Lantaka to knives depending on the rank or importance of the US Officer. Could the double lantaka under Piang's foot is one such gift.
Could be. The two lantaka are a matched pair with the external spiral grooves going in opposite directions. They look old but perhaps still serviceable. They would have made a handsome gift for an American officer. Piang was an astute reader of people, but I doubt he would have foreseen that Pershing would become a four star General and hold the position of General of the Army!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2023, 09:21 AM   #124
Gavin Nugent
Member
 
Gavin Nugent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Could be. The two lantaka are a matched pair with the external spiral grooves going in opposite directions. They look old but perhaps still serviceable. They would have made a handsome gift for an American officer. Piang was an astute reader of people, but I doubt he would have foreseen that Pershing would become a four star General and hold the position of General of the Army!
It was noted lantaka were only for Generals.

I suspect Taft probably took some fine things home with him after his introduction with Piang.

Junior officers were not left out either, they received Chickens most commonly.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2023, 01:57 AM   #125
Gavin Nugent
Member
 
Gavin Nugent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Could be. The two lantaka are a matched pair with the external spiral grooves going in opposite directions.
Ian, is a "Matched" pair the correct lens where that lantaka is concerned?

The barrels are joined by an integral central rib running front to back, and are retained in a single pivot and articulation. I only see a single double barreled Lantaka.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2023, 11:58 AM   #126
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Ian, is a "Matched" pair the correct lens where that lantaka is concerned?

The barrels are joined by an integral central rib running front to back, and are retained in a single pivot and articulation. I only see a single double barreled Lantaka.
Hi Gavin,

Yes, it is a double lantaka (two complete lantaka joined together), which I noticed at the time I made my post. They were not two lantaka that were plain, looked alike, and got married. They were actually designed and made to be a complementary pair (i.e., "matched"), albeit joined together into a single entity.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2023, 01:09 PM   #127
Gavin Nugent
Member
 
Gavin Nugent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Gavin,

Yes, it is a double lantaka (two complete lantaka joined together), which I noticed at the time I made my post. They were not two lantaka that were plain, looked alike, and got married. They were actually designed and made to be a complementary pair (i.e., "matched"), albeit joined together into a single entity.
Thanks Ian,

I struggle with the terminology personally. (INSERTING BROKEN SHRUG EMOJI)
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2023, 01:40 AM   #128
Gavin Nugent
Member
 
Gavin Nugent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,818
Default

Another for reference.
Attached Images
 
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
garuda kris

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.