Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 19th February 2024, 05:45 PM   #1
David R
Member
 
David R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,051
Default A new to me Sabiki or Dharia.

Birmingham Antique Arms Fair yesterday, and a good day out it was. I bought this within the first half hour which is unusual for me, I prefer to buy after a good peruse of the whole market, but I could not leave this on the table. A decent Sabiki, now cleaned up and on my wall.
Attached Images
      
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2024, 05:21 AM   #2
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,728
Default

Hi David,
This link may be of help http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17574
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2024, 11:36 AM   #3
Marc M.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Belgium
Posts: 103
Default

Hi David

This is my dharia, fairly recently i think.Bought it for the blade.
Your piece is older i guess, the silverware seems to me to be of better quality.

regards
Marc
Attached Images
 
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2024, 03:50 PM   #4
David R
Member
 
David R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Hi David

This is my dharia, fairly recently i think.Bought it for the blade.
Your piece is older i guess, the silverware seems to me to be of better quality.

regards
Marc
That is a blade worth buying though.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2024, 07:34 PM   #5
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Hi David

This is my dharia, fairly recently i think.Bought it for the blade.
Your piece is older i guess, the silverware seems to me to be of better quality.

regards
Marc
This is a RASHAQ style hilt, and yes, it is likely a more recently produced item. The way to tell is that the silver (or brass) hilt decoration is usually much thinner on the later items whereas the earlier ones have nice thick silver. The blade style is (I think) called MUAYYAR which describes those with a central rib, thought this one also has fullers each side of the rib, which is not usual in the older versions.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2024, 03:42 PM   #6
Marc M.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Belgium
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1 View Post
This is a RASHAQ style hilt, and yes, it is likely a more recently produced item. The way to tell is that the silver (or brass) hilt decoration is usually much thinner on the later items whereas the earlier ones have nice thick silver. The blade style is (I think) called MUAYYAR which describes those with a central rib, thought this one also has fullers each side of the rib, which is not usual in the older versions.
Stu
Hi Stu

Thanks for the additional information.Over the past year my interest in Arabic weapons has increased. I bought a few khanjars and a jambiya (hollow blade).
Almost all the info i have comes from this forum. There are a number of interesting books about these weapons, but they are difficult to find in Europe.

Regards
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2024, 07:00 PM   #7
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Hi Stu

Thanks for the additional information.Over the past year my interest in Arabic weapons has increased. I bought a few khanjars and a jambiya (hollow blade).
Almost all the info i have comes from this forum. There are a number of interesting books about these weapons, but they are difficult to find in Europe.

Regards
Marc
Hi Marc,
I might be able to help with books. Will send you a PM a bit later.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.