Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Image of an Indian warrior with a dagger khanjarli. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27285)

mahratt 16th September 2021 09:21 AM

Image of an Indian warrior with a dagger khanjarli.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Dear forum participants. Does any of you know image of an Indian warrior with a dagger khanjarli.

Photo of A Nihang bodyguard serving in the Nizam of Hyderabad's irregular Sikh army, 1865, which supposedly has a khanjarli dagger, I know

Ian 16th September 2021 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mahratt.

Great picture! I enlarged it a bit and adjusted the contrast to show the hilt of his dagger more clearly. In answer to your question, no I have not seen another picture with someone wearing a khanjarli.

Ian

.

mahratt 16th September 2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 266132)
Hi Mahratt.

Great picture! I enlarged it a bit and adjusted the contrast to show the hilt of his dagger more clearly. In answer to your question, no I have not seen another picture with someone wearing a khanjarli.

Ian

.

Hi Ian.

Thanks anyway!

Gonzoadler 17th September 2021 05:29 PM

Mahratt, I thought these daggers with an iron handle like the warrior on the picture has are called "Chilanum" and Khanjarlis are looking different?

mahratt 17th September 2021 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzoadler (Post 266165)
Mahratt, I thought these daggers with an iron handle like the warrior on the picture has are called "Chilanum" and Khanjarlis are looking different?

Hello, Gonzoadler. You are undoubtedly right. I marked in the picture

mariusgmioc 17th September 2021 06:44 PM

Wow!

Thank you for sharing this very rare photo!

Gonzoadler 17th September 2021 08:42 PM

Thank you Mahratt, the green marked piece seems indeed to be a Khanjarli.

Regards
Robin

Saracen 17th September 2021 09:14 PM

A good photo. I really like the glance of this bodyguard).
But it piece very little resemblance to khanjarli.
In addition, I have never seen a khanjarli, which is worn on a suspension, and not behind a belt.


Could it be this?
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21429

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attach...1&d=1463410035

mahratt 18th September 2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saracen (Post 266174)
A good photo. I really like the glance of this bodyguard).
But it piece very little resemblance to khanjarli.
In addition, I have never seen a khanjarli, which is worn on a suspension, and not behind a belt.


Could it be this?
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21429

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attach...1&d=1463410035

May be. That is why the photo says "possibly khanjarli"

This does not change the question voiced in the title of the topic.

kronckew 18th September 2021 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does indeed remind me more of mine, tho your example has more decorative grip rivets...