Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th September 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default British Bulldog

Hi Guys,
This is a late 19thC Belgian large calibre copy of the British Bulldog revolver. I thought this might interest some of you, especially our American cousins, as a book was published at the end of 2006 entitled 'The British Bulldog Revolver, the forgotten gun that really Won the West' by George Layman. I have not read the book but one of the premises is that there was ten times more of these guns of various calibres, manufactured in the U.K., U.S. and Belgium, in circulation in America in the last quarter of the 19th Century than Colts and S&W's combined, in fact it even suggests that the iconic Billy the Kid carried one of these amongst others. Hope this is of some interest.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Berkley

Popular imagery has George Armstrong Custer armed with a long-barreled Colt 1873 Peacemaker cavalry model at the Little Bighorn. But according to Captain Benteen, Custer carried "two Bulldog, self-cocking, English, white-handled pistols, with a ring in the butt for a lanyard." Custer was an avid gun collector.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 08:25 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Also to consider that the Belgium have produced zillions of these; the majority of discussable quality.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Sorry. Wrong place

Last edited by fernando; 10th September 2008 at 08:44 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Norman, this is really an interesting revolver, and I have kept coming back to it, admiring its distinct historical and actually, even popular connotations.
The term 'Bulldog' itself seemed so familiar and I recalled the old detective fiction from the 1920's "Bulldog Drummond", and wondered if there might be the basis for the detectives nickname. In the later American detectives names, it seemed popular to use the names of guns; Peter Gunn, Magnum, and even the heavy set 'Cannon', are the ones that come to mind.

It seems that British guns were considerably present in the "Wild West" and Wild Bill Hickok carried a Deane, Adams and Deane .45, among other guns. The bulldog in the later civilian versions was popular as a 'hideout' gun in its smaller size and the 'Bulldog' that Billy the Kid is believed to have used belonged to his boss John Tunstall, who was British.

The pair of revolvers used by Custer at the Little Big Horn are believed to have been the 1867 Bulldog military form with lanyard rings, of the type used by the RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary). Unfortunately they of course were gone from the battlefield, and have never surfaced as far as I know.

As Berkley notes, popular imagery has placed many misconceptions with Custer and the famous battle, one painting even shows him with his sabre. He was indeed a gun collector and avid hunter, who also had a sword collection. On an earlier thread we researched a sword of his allegedly taken from a Confederate officer in combat, and with a 'Spanish motto' blade. It was found he received it as a gift from another fellow officer. His British revolvers were likely also a gift.

Thank you for posting this wonderful and interesting revolver Norman!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hi Guys,
Jim, Berkley, thanks for the info. I had a vague recollection that one of these pistols had more than a passing notoriety, assassination of President Garfield, see illustration. The one I have is also a .44 but please be assured my intentions are honourable.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote