Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th September 2023, 04:26 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Roosevelt gifts from Moro Leaders

Roosevelt received many gifts from many kings and leaders, from many cultures. Some are displayed in various localities and institutions.

Does anyone know where the Gifts from Moro leaders are housed and if they have been photographed?
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2023, 10:43 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Gavin,

Do you mean Teddy Roosevelt or FDR?

I believe that at least some of the gifts to Teddy Roosevelt are in the Smithsonian collection. IIRC, Cato had a picture of a kris or a barung that was presented to Teddy Roosevelt. There were gifts also to Taft when he was in the Philippines, but he was not yet President then.

I don't know of any for FDR.

Any gift to a President is formally recorded and tracked, so there will be a record somewhere in the U.S. Archives. Many gifts end up in National collections or Presidential archives.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2023, 01:00 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Gavin,

Do you mean Teddy Roosevelt or FDR?

I believe that at least some of the gifts to Teddy Roosevelt are in the Smithsonian collection. IIRC, Cato had a picture of a kris or a barung that was presented to Teddy Roosevelt. There were gifts also to Taft when he was in the Philippines, but he was not yet President then.

I don't know of any for FDR.

Any gift to a President is formally recorded and tracked, so there will be a record somewhere in the U.S. Archives. Many gifts end up in National collections or Presidential archives.

Ian.
Thanks Ian,

Teddy is who I meant.

I do not recall him mentioned at all in Cato's book, but I'll thumb through it again to be sure.

I've followed a number of Cato's institution references though, and others.

Key word and name searches within national sites have turned up nothing yet. I may have to move to direct contact and paw over the written content within, as not everything within those documents is linked to or published to key word searches... although, you'd think items relating to T.R. would be more prominent within these institutions.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote