Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th September 2023, 11:22 PM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Small Ram Dao

This appears to be a small Ram Dao. I know I've seen something similar on the forum but can't find it with the search function.

The handle is a pleasant burl-type wood with a couple of small cracks. The blade is well-formed with a clear taper. It's sharpened on the inside curve. The pommel cap is missing but seems to have had a pointed crown-like fitting to the grip.

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks.

Dimensions

Length 46cm
Blade length 17.5cm
Blade width 1.2cm > 6cm
Ferrule length 6.5cm
Ferrule width 1cm > 2.5cm
Grip length 22cm
Grip width 1.5cm > 2.5cm
Attached Images

Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2023, 09:29 AM   #2
kronckew

This is southern Thai likely Pattani region or one of the close areas, also used in north Malay bordering regions to Thailands, the name ? really not sure, but this is not a Ram dao, they also have them in the southern regions of Cambodia on the very southern coast, but looking at this one I would say it is 100% south Thai.
Possibly a Phra Kho 0r Phra O.

kinda like a sickle/bill hook.

A more modern relative:
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 27th September 2023 at 09:50 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2023, 11:22 AM   #3
kronckew

See also: Thai site for antique ones

(use google site translate to get the english version, partial attached below)
Attached Images

Old 28th September 2023, 02:15 AM   #4
RobT

Default Which Which is Which

kronckew,
Much of the Google translation for the website sounds like California 60’s psychedelic rock lyrics (“Teeth of wood, teeth of grass Found a snake that had hooked fangs and was able to beat it”). I really like these blades and hope to get a few examples someday but first I need to match the pictures provided to the Phra O, Phra Kho, and Ai Deng texts.

Photo 1 (six blades): I believe that the first four blades are Ai Deng because “The short, slightly bent handle is the right size for your hand”. I assume that “bouncy” means that the blade is springy.
I believe that the last two blades are Phra O because “the handle is the longest part” and because “the neck of the knife is bent and curved into the groove of the shoulder”

Photos 3 & 4 (two views of the same blade): I believe that this is the long version of the Phra O which enables the owner to “use the tip of the stick in the ground and hold the base of your chin with your hand you can easily stand and watch Manohra compete”. (Fractured syntax not withstanding.)

Photo 5 (five blades): I believe that the four blades on the left are Phra Kho and the blade on the right is a long handled version of same because “the tip or head is bent like a parrot’s beak”. (Why, if he has access to one of these blades, the author finds it necessary “to use my teeth to clear the rubber plantations on a regular basis” is anybody’s guess.)

From what I can gather, Jerseyman’s very nice blade is also a Phra Kho. I would be very grateful to you if you could add clarity to Google’s woefully inadequate translation.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2023, 02:13 PM   #5
kronckew

Google translation is of course for 'Standard' Thai, not idiomatic localizations. So it may seem a bit unusually phrased for non-native speakers. People from the northern areas have trouble understanding those from the south.

Anyway, These are common tools around the southern Thai regions and have been for hundreds of years and are still used today, but the older types of smaller ones were often made from local hardwoods, if you research south Thai knife in Thai on google pics you will find many refs to Pattani knife, but there is very little in English anywhere about such knives - tools as no one appears to have much knowledge of the region and no books appear to exist on this region either.

South Thai knife - มีดปักษ์ใต้

One link that is very interesting is here, showing a long handle version of this type knife.

https://www.sac.or.th/exhibition/lmf2017/?p=74

You will find that the elaborate pommel even if missing its tip on the piece in this post is typical of the pattani region if you search Pattani knife in Thai language on google, the style is very typical of Pattani and neighbouring regions, might also be good to mention that these are also used in north Malaysia as the Thai border meets Malaysia near Pattani in far south Thailand, there may well be a whole different name for the type of knife there.

The ''spring '' meaning has nothing to do with the blade, it is the hilt they refer to having spring as it is made from hardwood non-hollow solid bamboo or Malacca cane - (king of rattan canes) which is springy and flexible, the long hilt ones being made of this type material with a woven - crotchet cordage over the top of the cane - wood which is then lacquered many times.

I am sorry, but this is as much as I can tell you about such weapons, I suggest that if you want to know more you research the words south Thai knife in Thai, you will then find hundreds of interesting styles of knife that have hardly ever been seen before in the western world.

I'll conclude with a photo of my Phra:
I gather that, especially the smaller decorated ones like mine and the original post, are also used as weapons when needed.
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2023, 12:40 PM   #6
Sajen

Agree with Wayne, it's a Southern Thai sickle knife.
Here one of it's relatives, a parang from Kelantan. 37,5 cm overall, blade 20,5 cm. Compare "Spirit of Wood, The Art of Malay Woodcarving", page 104.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 1st October 2023 at 01:53 PM.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote