Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th March 2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Hommine

Default Powder boxes from Oman

Hi I have have listed some powderboxes, firestriekers etc. I bought in Oman. I believe they are quite old. I am particularly interested in any comments on the letter belt with the several wooden powderboxes , these little "pipes" have geometric designs on them that have been burned in the wood. The leather is strung with a lace around the piepes so the powder stays inside. Actually one of them is a bone... Has anyone seen one of these before any idea how old.

There is also a curieus silver firestriker with a nice silver chain. Does anyone know if this was only for decoration or did it have another purpose?

Hielke
Attached Images

Hommine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Hommine,
As in the matchlock post, I found information on these in Elgood (op.cit, p.47, fig.4.9 and 4.10) as well. The silver powder flask are termed 'talahiq' and are of 19th c. and the wood powder flasks are 19th c. also. I'm not sure on the powder boxes, but do know these carried measured charges, and wonder if the markings might denote quantity?

The chain on the firestriker probably prevents its loss, but chains were highly favored decoratively as well. The decoration on accoutrements signify the extreme importance of weaponry to the machismo and image of the warrior.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Smile NICE PIECES

Hi Hielke,
Very nice items. If you are ever interested in parting with any please let me know.
I have a small selection of Omani items including a Talahiq and an Omani decorated Martini Henry rifle. Also 2 nice Khanjar shown in attached pics.
The comments about the matchlocks follow what I understand about them. Those ones though, are as far as I am aware, are definately Omani in origin--not Indian.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 03:42 PM   #4
ward

nice pieces the charger tubes are a common way of loading matchlocks and flintlocks. you will find these in afghanistan russia turkey etc. I have a number of these belts. decoration of tubes is common by file work or burn. the silver in many of these pieces was done by the jewish silver smiths. 18-19th century. The only one I would question is the chain with the striker at the end. That looks like souq work to me. The powder measure is nice some of these incorporate a plunger device to be able to measure out different loads some do not
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Hommine

Default silver firestriker

The silver firestriker is a strange object. You can't strike fire with it (silver). However it was bought long before the tourist era in the interior. It also has significant wear and tear and is finely made. It must have been some sort of symbol. The silver powderboxes were also worn symbolically in Oman long after the matchlocks were used. Have never seen another silver firestriker before. Maybe it was just a fun object. I bought some antique miniature brass cooking pots that were also made for fun / to play.

Hielke
Hommine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hommine
The silver firestriker is a strange object. You can't strike fire with it (silver). However it was bought long before the tourist era in the interior. It also has significant wear and tear and is finely made. It must have been some sort of symbol. The silver powderboxes were also worn symbolically in Oman long after the matchlocks were used. Have never seen another silver firestriker before. Maybe it was just a fun object. I bought some antique miniature brass cooking pots that were also made for fun / to play.

Hielke
Salaams... I just discovered this whilst searching back through the forum on an entirely different subject ~ Very nice items indeed,,, The firestrikers are now very rare. You will find that the strikers are steel or iron whilst the fittings and chains are silver. If the striker is silver it would be purely Iconic and worn as a good luck charm rather than a practical piece but I suspect they are ferous made... not silver. Anyway gunpowder ~ abu futillah muzzle loaders were still being used in the 20th Century and the powder charges (I assume they are the brass type) fitted into a belt ... though not that belt as that belt is for Martini Henry ammo 577 originally made in about 1872 with many weapons finding their way into Palace Guard armouries in Arabia and Oman via Muscat and Ajman ... I have seen a belt specifically for these charge containers. I have also seen brass decorated containers and others adorned in ivory. Actually as part of a cross belt system... Even for an Omani narrow waist it seems short? Ive had another look at the belt and ... I think you may be right.. It could be a purpose made abu futilla cartridge belt. I wonder if it is made for the waist or ??... cross belt.. either way that is a very rare item ..
The Talahiq are interesting and were worn round the neck sometimes hanging down the back...Like all silver, the items worn are Talismanic and may be thought of rather as; Gold the Sun / Silver the Moon. They too are very rare now. Very nice stuff... Thanks.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th June 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
rickystl

Wonderful stuff !!!! I'm wipping the drewl off my mouth as I look at the photos And that silver decorated Martini !!! Thanks for posting pics. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote