Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2005, 01:51 AM   #1
Rivkin

Default medieval sword on ebay

Dear All,

There've been a number of swords appearing on ebay, for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...518487104&rd=1

does it look like a real thing to you ? There've been a dozen others sold in a very similar condition, for a very similar price.

Thank you very much,

Kirill Rivkin
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 07:55 AM   #2
wolviex

Default Venetia ?

It looks like 15th/16th century Venetian sword.
I can't judge the authenticity of this thing from such bad photos. Somehow I don't feel convinced to this one, especially when you noticed there were plenty of them last time.

Regards
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivkin

Thank you very much !

Here is my problem - the seller says his father died and left him swords.

a. They are all in a _very_ similar condition.
b. He is using private auctions.
c. They all go for 300-400$.

On the other hand:

a. They are all different from each other.
b. They don't have any obvious warning signs (at least for me - which does not really mean anything).

Sincerely yours,

Kirill Rivkin
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2005, 04:51 PM   #4
tom hyle

Yeah, if real 1600s, Venetian; but is the swept-tip guard "right"? Possible the seller is quite honest & these or some might be 19th repros, but I see no bad signs. I am told repeatedly that 1400-1600 swords were to be readily had for around $50 in England and Germany up thru the 1950s, and there are a lot more around than you can prove by provenence, for certain. It could be a fake, but I don't see anything especially suspicious. It's a gamble, anD that's why it's $400 instead of $4,000. Why would eveness of corrosion make you suspicious? Niether eveness nor uneveness of corrosion are unusual.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs down Sword with potential as an attractive decorator

I suspect the ebay market found a correct price for this item as it does appear to have potential as an attractive decorator. I also suspect that 19th century may be a bit early for date of manufacture.

These days I see medieval style swords of which I am very suspicious in even the most prestigious venues. My advice: If you ever decide to punt on a medieval style sword for large money, then you should see the thing up close and in person beforehand and or have paid the extra premium for examination by a capable and experienced agent responsible only to you in the matter.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2005, 06:36 PM   #6
erlikhan

I am not an expert about European swords at all, but as far as my eye experience and insticts about iron material say I am suspicious about its being several centuries old. I dont think it should be very important if 19th century or later. Iron and steel can easily be made corroded and look older. Some moist is enough for that. Bronze can not so easily. Its green patina prevents the material beneath from destructive corrosion. Thats why good conditioned bronze age swords are found much more than later Iron swords. This sword could has been protected very well till now for centuries by many and many owners?? Perhaps yes but why?? And even if so, still the material should look overall more tired , and its sharp lined edges and corners should get erroded .Seems too much intact, and most important, a simple, undecorated structure to have been kept ,taken care of and protected so fresh, good for centuries. It can have value now, but such a simple sword should not be worth of keeping so careful for all centuries since its production.
I would prefer to be cautious and suspicious about iron or steel swords if offered as several centuries old, especially if they are simple, dont have characteristic periodical chiselling ,inlay, gold, silver work, any kind of art expensive and difficult to imitate, and making it valuable enough for all ages, to be kept carefully.
But still, if it's just 400 dollars, it is nothing to loose anyway. You can loose 100 dollars perhaps (you could easily resell it on ebay for lets say 300), but you can earn 5000,7000 or whatever. The chance is uncomparably higher than chance of 100 dollars lottery ticket
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote