Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th May 2006, 03:22 AM   #1
BluErf

Default Sumatran sword -> Identified to be an unusual parang nabur

Anyone specifically knows what this type of sword is called?

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php
Attached Images

Last edited by BluErf; 28th May 2006 at 03:06 AM. Reason: New information from forumnites
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 04:11 AM   #2
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
Anyone specifically knows what this type of sword is called?

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_album.php
Sure, i'd call it BEAUTIFUL!
.....though it could be a "sundang"....
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Hmm...I've handled this piece... A beautiful blade. Congratulation! The hilt, typical of a parang nabur but with a shorthened crossguard on both sides. See link for examples of the hilt crossguard...

http://www.eriksedge.com/INDO126.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=20085&fkxs=1
http://old.blades.free.fr/swords/parang/par04.htm

I doubt that it's a hulu "iku mie", Acehese 'Amanmeru' or a Batak form as well.
The blade however looks like a mandau blade.
Just my 2 cents opinion.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 27th May 2006 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added links...
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 05:32 AM   #4
BluErf

Thanks for the pictures Shahrial. Yep, I see that the hit form is indeed the same as the parang nabur, but the blade form is definitely not.

I think the blade was forged locally, and not of indo-persian origins. Though the overall profile is like that of a mandau, it lacks the very slight arc we often see in mandaus, and also, I believe mandaus are bevelled on one side of the blade only. This piece is bevelled on both sides, thus allowing for ambidextrous use. Also, the tips of mandaus often have some 'extra' features adorning it, not 'clean' like this blade.
Old 27th May 2006, 06:31 AM   #5
Dajak

Hi this is an Parang Nabur it is an malay sword that also was in use by the seadajaks.
the guard is missing you can see that they cut it off.
This form is not often but as you can see the straigt one that is in the book off Zonneveld and in my collection
Attached Images

Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Quote:
... but the blade form is definitely not...
OK. The blade is not a mandau...anyone else have any idea? My 2 cents becomes 1 cent worth.
Old 28th May 2006, 03:13 AM   #7
BluErf

Hey Shahrial, don't worry about it. Our 2 cents do not devalue; they contribute to better understanding.

I agree with the opinion that this piece is a parang nabur with an unusual blade form. I read in Zonneveld's book that not all parang nabur has the D-guard, but in this case, the D-guard and quillon was probably sawed off at some point in time. However, I thought it sort of improved the 'aesthetics' of the blade when it is unsheathed -- the hilt flowed more smoothly into the blade. I do recognize that it does look a bit funny in its sheath, with the wood on the scabbard mouth showing.

The straight blades in Zonneveld's book, and that in Dajak's collection actually has a bit of convexity to the cutting edge. This example of mine is completely straight. Could it be case of this blade being 'salvaged' from another sword-type? Does anyone recognize this blade form in other types of Kalimantan or Malay swords?

One last thing - anyone knows of skilled Kalimantan craftsmen who can do a good job with the D-guard and quillon?
Old 28th May 2006, 04:01 AM   #8
RobT

Default Bangkung?

Hi Blu Erf,
The blade looks like a Philippine bangkung. I wonder if the Indonesians had a version of this sword also.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 04:21 AM   #9
BluErf

That sounds plausible, because after all, Kalimantan is very close to the Philippines. Whoa, the more we dig, the more information surfaces.

David - was that why you mentioned this sword could be called a 'sundang'?
Old 28th May 2006, 07:40 AM   #10
Dajak

The blade form is like an mandau the straight one that I have has even an krowit like the Jimpul
Old 28th May 2006, 08:22 AM   #11
BluErf

Hi Dajak,

Thanks. However, I thought though the blade may a bit like a mandau, but there are quite a number of klewang form in Sumatra which also looks like this. Hence, when I first looked at it, I thought it was N. Sumatran. The hilt convinced me otherwise.

I was informed of a closed ebay auction (by a fellow forumnite - Derreck) for a parang nabur. Hope Derreck does not mind me attaching the picture for discussion purpose.

I noticed that the D-guard in the picture is attached to a white brass nail that seemed to be hammered into the pommel. My parang nabur's hilt had no traces of such a nail insertion. Is it that not all D-guards for parang nabur ends up being nailed to the pommel?
Attached Images

Old 28th May 2006, 02:13 PM   #12
Dajak

NO not al see pic there are much types but to me it looks like the handle is not the original it maybe a replace handle
Attached Images

Old 28th May 2006, 03:16 PM   #13
Alam Shah

Default thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
... but to me it looks like the handle is not the original it maybe a replace handle
Hmmm...maybe that explained why there's no hole for the horn hilt's D-shaped guard. Probably the guard had been cut before the hilt replacement. Hence, no reason to put a hole there...(just speculating)

Quote:
Hey Shahrial, don't worry about it. Our 2 cents do not devalue; they contribute to better understanding.
No sweat... 2 cents investment is maturing... I do agree that the blade might be salvaged from another sword type.
Old 28th May 2006, 04:52 PM   #14
BluErf

I have a question - How do we tell that the hilt is not original? If it was a replacement, why not replace with the D-guard as well?

The overall feel is that the white brass fittings on the scabbard is matching with the white brass on the hilt. The sheath was made for the blade and fits perfectly.
Old 28th May 2006, 06:08 PM   #15
Dajak

wooden handle easy to replace the metal part not because it is normally one piece diffucult to get it together

the wooden handle as I can see from the pic no sign off use

As you can see when it is in the scabbard there is a piece missing cutting off is the easy way

Look at these handle s all have sign off use
Attached Images

Old 28th May 2006, 06:27 PM   #16
rasdan

Hi all,

I think the D guard was probably connected with the nail at the end of the hilt. Btw, is it a nail? I think the "nail" is actually the end of the blade tang that is screwed to make sure the hilt dont slip off. If the hilt ist new, maybe the last owner only made a hilt for it and suit the old brass part for it. Probably..
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 05:54 PM   #17
BluErf

Thank you all for sharing information and opinion on this unusual P. Nabur.

I guess it is so atypical that it raises many questions that we can only speculate about, and I think that adds to the mystery and fun. The lost D-guard (or was there ever a D-guard when this piece was put together? Did a previous owner saw off the guard to suit his silat style? Or maybe the owner simply hated the D-guard and quillon? ) is part of the history of this piece.

At the end of all these, I've grown to appreciate the uniqueness of this piece even more. Add to that the beautiful blade, horn hilt and complete scabbard, this piece is going to stay with me for a long time. I am going to keep it as it is because I think it will make a very interesting conversation piece.
Old 29th May 2006, 07:24 PM   #18
Dajak

It is not an unusual one just modificated