Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th April 2019, 12:11 AM   #1
nickolas33

Default JOHANNES WUNDES SWORD

Hello dear friends
I am historical collector but new in collecting swords.I have in my own a Johannes Wundes sword I think,but I do not know anything else about it.Please I need your opinion about this sword.I hope by the photos you can have an idea about its originality or where it comes from.......
Thank you....Nick
Attached Images

nickolas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 02:06 PM   #2
corrado26

This king's head mark has been in use by the Wundes-family until 1610. By the way I am not sure wether the wire grip at the hilt is original.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 02:45 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum, nickolas33 .
Nice sword, you have there. If, as Udo says, the only part not original is the wire grip, you should be glad to own such authentic piece.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 03:16 PM   #4
cornelistromp

Hi Nick,

grip and pommel are new, 20thC, blade(surely) and guard (possibly) end of 16thC.

best,
Jasper
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 03:39 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nick, very nice Wundes blade, and as noted, the grip and pommel modern restoration, and very tastefully done. It is not uncommon to find these kinds of situations as swords were refurbished in their working lives in many cases, so in effect, this is just a more recent extension of that practice, and places a wonderful old blade (and probably the guard as Jasper notes)in proper context.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 09:23 PM   #6
nickolas33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Nick, very nice Wundes blade, and as noted, the grip and pommel modern restoration, and very tastefully done. It is not uncommon to find these kinds of situations as swords were refurbished in their working lives in many cases, so in effect, this is just a more recent extension of that practice, and places a wonderful old blade (and probably the guard as Jasper notes)in proper context.
Thank you guys very much for your replies.As a new sword collector that I am,your opinions are valuable and helpful for me.As you said the wire grip and maybe the pomel are newest.I wonder about the guard.
Old 17th April 2019, 03:17 PM   #7
CSinTX

My impression is similar to others. The blade old and good. The grip and pommel definitely more modern. The guard, I'm less sure but I lean towards 19th C or later.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 05:07 AM   #8
Will M

Looks like a keeper!
Early swords are available but prices keep climbing, don't get talked out of it.
I don't collect such early swords but I did acquire a mortuary sword, the price was extremely low at auction for what it was.
Your sword has a great makers mark stamped deeply and with the restoration work displays well.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 09:06 AM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Still the value of a precious blade is one thing, but that of a whole precious sword ... is another .
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 01:12 PM   #10
MForde

I have a tantalisingly similar mark on a hanger. No crown though, alas.
Attached Images

MForde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2019, 08:43 AM   #11
nickolas33

Thank you guys
Old 29th September 2019, 12:28 PM   #12
bvieira

Hello,

First of all i would like to say that if you really interested in knowing more about that sword that is impossible to do it by internet with photos, you should contact a professional and show it in person, you must see the opinions in the internet as opinions only and not 100% sure.

I agree with most of the things said above, the grip is modern, the pommel is modern, the guard is not original and was adapted do the blade, it can be a older guard or a modern as the pommel and the grip are both fakes.

The blade seems real because of the mark, just that, but even a mark can be easy forged if wanted, none of the above opinions take in consideration the size, the weight, the quality of the metal (something can only be seen by having the sword in hands).

Somebody above said that is a item to "keep" i would say it's a item to stay away!

Last edited by bvieira; 29th September 2019 at 04:03 PM.
bvieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
nickolas33

Default JOHANNES WUNDES SWORD

Hello bvieira
Your opinion is a bit hard.This sword belonged to a famous 96 years old German collector which after his death I bought it from a serious auction house in Germany.It belonged to a huge sword collection of the past owner.If you have the experience even from the photos it is not difficult to recognise that the blade is an original piece by Johannes Wundes the Elder 1560-1610.As the experts in the auction house said the guard is a later piece in 19th century and pommel and grip a bit later.As you know older times sword makers used often old blades to refurbishe swords as Jim McDougall said.These stuffs maybe are newest and not from 17th cen. but not fakes at all as you present them.My opinion is this because I have the sword in my hands.As old collector I have the experience to recognise old or new metals.
regards...Nick
Old 8th October 2019, 06:49 AM   #14
ulfberth

Hello Nickolas,
the blade is 100 % original and so is the stamp and indeed it is not hard to see at all in this case.
The guard is 19th C the wire and pommel later, in fact it is exactly as the auction house described it.
Kind regards
Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote