Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th January 2018, 07:35 PM   #1
ashkenaz

Default Forging/Design Differences between Luzon, Visayan and Mindanao made Kampilans?

Two amateur questions:

1. I read on some articles a while back, and a few posts from some forums and youtube comment sections that Kampilans that Visayans and Luzonese made had profile and design differences in the blade's design and profile from that of the Moro Kampilan?

(not talking about hilts, handles or scabbard differences, but talking about the literal blade design itself)

Do these differences exist? And if so, what are they?

2. And I thought only Mindanao people, were the only ones who ever evidently and historically made Kampilans? I've never even seen a remount Kampilan (antique) with a Visayan hilt for example let alone. These claims seem... "funny" again, like my questioning of the other myths I scratch my head over with.

Thanks,

((Oh, and I am so sorry I keep asking really newbie questions, but there is so much misinformation and questionable claims people make about Filipino blades, you wouldn't even believe it! There's one claim from aswangproject that Visayans abandoned long Kampilans because they thought short swords like Sundangs, Pinuti and Ginuntings were more practical to them instead. Among other claims that cite literally no sources or give a valid comprehensive explanation and there is a handful of people who buy into these myths that I find questionable.))

Last edited by ashkenaz; 14th January 2018 at 05:42 AM.
ashkenaz is offline   Reply With Quote