Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th November 2016, 02:14 AM   #1
Rafngard

Default Three new ones from Luzon

Hello All,

This time of year in Minnesota, good photo days are hard to come by, so when a bug to take some photos and post some of my newer toys came, I just did it, even if it was dark outside. So apologies in advance for the less than ideal photos. These have had only a light cleaning, and I only took a few pics. Hopefully better ones will be forthcoming in the future. All were purchased for slightly more than a song.

The first is a really long (31 1/2 inches) bolo from Apalit (mark is incomplete, but in comparison to others, it seems to be pretty clearly Apalit). Carabao horn hilt, brass fittings. Leather scabbard that's seen better days. I'm not quite sure if the tip was originally rounded, but the round edge is sharp. It's extreme length makes me wonder if it was made for a specific purpose?

The second a much more manageable 22 3/4 inches, with a horn handle and brass fittings.. I think this would be called a ginunting (scissors-like)? I'm really happy about how complete this one is, with the original scabbard and belt, though the tip is hanging on for dear life. The blade has clearly seen use. I've tried scrubbing it but the dark suffice is remarkably persistent. I'm wondering if perhaps it was original? The blade is without marking, but the scabbard has what appears to say "MMapalao Lucban" on it. I suspect the first part is the makers name (M. Mapalao?) and the second refers to Lucban in the province of Quezon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucban

The third, and much more recent bolo is also from Apalit, with a clear stamp on the blade. The handle and scabbard are wood and the fittings are aluminum. It feels nice in the hand, though honestly, were it not for the Apalit marked blade I would not have purchased. Seller says it's a WWII bring back, I thought it may be a bit more recent. Though perhaps the blade is older than the rest of it.

About Apalit:
This thread has more on Apalit
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18769t

As does this one.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12914

Also, this threat has my other Apalit bolo.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21708

I'm extremely unsure as to how old these (especially the first two) so I'd love to hear any thoughts on the subject.

As always, any thoughts, comment, and/or corrections are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Sajen

Hi Leif,

the first one I would call matulis or simple itak, the tip was most probable once pointed, I think it's the oldest from this pieces, turn of the centuries?

The second one you have researched well and I agree with you, age I would guess first quarter 20th century.

By the last one I would agree with you, WWII or a little bit later but I don't think the blade is older.

Nice pieces!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 05:18 PM   #3
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
The second one you have researched well and I agree with you, age I would guess first quarter 20th century.
Hello Detlef,

Do you think the blade color could be original, do we have examples like that? Or is it more likely just old gunk?

Thanks,
Leif
Old 29th November 2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Nice bolos

Rafngard:

I agree with Detlef. The second one seems to have some old oxidation giving it that darker appearance. Personally I would not clean it any further--just oil it or put some silicone wax on it. If you wanted to take it back to bright steel you could use a mild abrasive in a blasting box or spend a few hours polishing it with progressively finer grit paper. But I think it looks fine as it is--just my personal preference.

Always good to see another Gopher State poster.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
Hello Detlef,

Do you think the blade color could be original, do we have examples like that? Or is it more likely just old gunk?

Thanks,
Leif
Hello Leif,

would agree with Ian, maybe the surface of the blade is rough? Have you tried aceton? This would remove gunk.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 02:35 AM   #6
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
would agree with Ian, maybe the surface of the blade is rough? Have you tried aceton? This would remove gunk.
Except for a few spots, the surface is mostly smooth, though I will give the acetone a try.

Thanks,
Leif
Old 30th November 2016, 02:41 AM   #7
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Personally I would not clean it any further--just oil it or put some silicone wax on it. If you wanted to take it back to bright steel you could use a mild abrasive in a blasting box or spend a few hours polishing it with progressively finer grit paper. But I think it looks fine as it is--just my personal preference.
Thank you very much for your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Always good to see another Gopher State poster.
Oh! I didn't know there were any Minnesotans still active. If you're in the Twin Cities, you should let me buy you a beer sometime.

Have fun,
Leif