Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2015, 03:34 PM   #31
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Miguel.
Now THAT is a unique shield. Beautiful multi-colored decoration and detailed bosses. And the tail! That's great!! Maybe water buffalo ? Do you have pics of the reverse side of the shield? Thanks for posting.
Rick.
Hi Rick,
Glad you like it, I have no photos of the inside but will take some and try to show you tomorrow.
Regards Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 03:51 PM   #32
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
MIGUEL THATS AN AMAZING SHIELD VERY UNIQUE,MUST BE FOX OR WOLF TAIL WHICH IS USED AS A TALISMAN,CHEERS
Hi Bandook,
Thanks you may well be right I never thought of it like that. If it is as you suggest I don't know how it is attached as the tail is attached almost to the centre of the decorated circle and really looks as though it is part of the beast the shield was from. Miguel
Old 26th August 2015, 07:06 PM   #33
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Miguel.
Now THAT is a unique shield. Beautiful multi-colored decoration and detailed bosses. And the tail! That's great!! Maybe water buffalo ? Do you have pics of the reverse side of the shield? Thanks for posting.
Rick.
Hi Rick,
I replied to you yesterday but it seems to have gone astray. Here are the pics you requested. Miguel
Attached Images

Old 26th August 2015, 07:17 PM   #34
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hi Bandook,
Thanks you may well be right I never thought of it like that. If it is as you suggest I don't know how it is attached as the tail is attached almost to the centre of the decorated circle and really looks as though it is part of the beast the shield was from. Miguel
Hi Bandook,
A couple more pics showing tail or mane on shield. As you can see the hair looks as though it is growing out of the hide, the person who attached this was a real craftsman. I believe your suggestion, that it could be a talisman, to be correct as I cannot see that the decoration was applied around the hair. The hair seems to coarse to be fox or wolf though. Miguel
Attached Images

Old 29th August 2015, 05:22 PM   #35
rickystl

Hi Miguel.
Thanks so much for the additional pics. Even the hand pad and leather grips are still intact. Very nice. As you say, the tail looks like it is "growing" out of the shield LOL. Which tells me the the butt of the animal (maybe water buffalo?) was used, with the tail being left on during the tanning process.
It's sure a very neat and interesting shield, and very decorative. I like it!!
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote