Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 8th September 2014, 05:12 AM   #1
Lfarrell
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Default Yemeni Matchlock

I have recently been given this matchlock. Told it was bought from a store in yemen. I would like to know more about its providence - age of the weapon, type of rifle, place of manufacture, is it an intact piece? Some images are posted including a barrel stamp
Attached Images
    
Lfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,145
Default

19th c. South Yemen
Hadramawt
May be the barrel from Persia, 18th c.
Beautiful piece!
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 05:10 PM   #3
trenchwarfare
Member
 
trenchwarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 385
Default

Yes, nice gun. Is the metal work silver, or aluminum? Looks like the latter to me. If so, more like mid 20th century. Or at least, decorated then.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 7,154
Default

Nice and interesting piece. I would say either silver or white metal. Testing by a jeweler would determine which. Aluminum wouldn't have any green patina.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 05:14 AM   #5
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,731
Default

Nice piece but IMHO the decoration is mid to late 20th century, and typical of Yemeni work. Likely white metal rather than silver. The matchlock gun could be older. I would call the style Indo/Arab, and agree that it probably originated from the Hadhramaut region.
It looks to be complete, though an old break in the stock is evident. The older piece of iron/steel band over the top of the comb of the stock is to strengthen the repair. The white metal decorated plate shows no damage and this is why I say that this decoration is a later (and more modern) addition. Also the wound banding down the barrel is not usual, and is likely to enhance "eye appeal" at point of sale.
Similar matchlock style from Oman at this link http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18302
and here http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18832
Stu

Last edited by kahnjar1; 9th September 2014 at 07:27 AM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Lfarrell
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies and valuable information. The banding looks to be beaten silver to me, although i have not had it tested, and i agree probably added later to enhance its looks

I am interested in the actual gun type/make - if there is one associated with this piece, especially the makers mark on the top of the barrel - if anyone can shed some light on this?

If this piece is from a yemen/arab origin - did they also make the base weapon? or could it have been made in europe and transported out to the far east for local sale?

Many Thanks
Liam
Lfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Lfarrell
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks Stu - for your reply

Out of interest - I am currently living in Dubai, but am originally from NZ (Hokitika), and lived a long time in christchurch. Any ideas on how to legally bring this gun into the country?? - ie: collectors licence, importing licence?? any info woudl be appreciated.
Lfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 06:58 AM   #8
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfarrell
Thanks Stu - for your reply

Out of interest - I am currently living in Dubai, but am originally from NZ (Hokitika), and lived a long time in christchurch. Any ideas on how to legally bring this gun into the country?? - ie: collectors licence, importing licence?? any info woudl be appreciated.
Hi Liam, To get your gun into NZ.....I assume you hold a NZ Firearms Licence? You will probably need one, although I would think that this would be classified as an antique and therefore you could probably own it without a licence. You definitely would need to have a Permit to Import from our Police. Perhaps you could email me sabiki@clear.net.nz and I can give you a Police contact, and also better details.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 07:07 AM   #9
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfarrell
Thanks for the replies and valuable information. The banding looks to be beaten silver to me, although i have not had it tested, and i agree probably added later to enhance its looks

I am interested in the actual gun type/make - if there is one associated with this piece, especially the makers mark on the top of the barrel - if anyone can shed some light on this?

If this piece is from a yemen/arab origin - did they also make the base weapon? or could it have been made in europe and transported out to the far east for local sale?

Many Thanks
Liam
OK to try and answer your questions. The gun TYPE is Matchlock. The barrels are often European or copies thereof, with (often) Italian type barrel marks. Several are shown in one of the links I gave you.
The gun itself is IMHO unlikely to have been made in Europe, and could have been made anywhere in Arabia or India. Beyond that I can not help, though others may have more concrete evidence as to origin.
As stated earlier, the term Indo/Arab is usually applied to this STYLE of matchlock.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Default

Salaams all...Just a few notes to add... The material wrapping the stock and butt may be a pot metal mixture including aluminium. The condition of the sharply cut split palmette and work on the butt looks fresh...and whilst not unusual it may indicate relatively recent work done in this regard. Some evidence by ICOMAN indicates a possible European / German origin to matchlocks in the region particularly Oman...Please see http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/O...d-viewing-1znc ....however the Indian link for Yemen is clear for this style..since the umbilical chord of trade and close relations has tied the two countries firmly together for centuries. I see various stones used in the decoration to woodwork here including glass beads in the likeness of coral and ageek...(agate.) The huge butt wooden stopper is also typical of Yemeni style. Souks in the region appear to be still picking up through-put items like this from Sanaa and I wondered if this one came via the Sharjah Souk ?

I read an interesting article from [Link removed] where a comparison and link is attributed to Coorg guns in South India because of trade and mercenaries of Southern Arabia operating there...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Andrew; 10th September 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Andrew
Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,725
Default

Ibrahiim, the weapon in the link you provided in your post, above, is for sale. Unfortunately, I must remove the link per forum rules.

Andrew
Vikingsword Staff
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Ibrahiim, the weapon in the link you provided in your post, above, is for sale. Unfortunately, I must remove the link per forum rules.

Andrew
Vikingsword Staff
Regret previous entry....Try this for a sold item illustrating similar style of decoration and a footnote to the Tareq Rajeb Museum in Kuwait... well worth a visit !

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19793/lot/51/

A South Indian (Coorg) 20-Bore Silver-Mounted Matchlock Gun
Malabar, 18th/19th Century. Apparently many mercenaries from South Arabia worked in Southern India and thus the link in style in the two regions. Trade of course played an important part in this style of design being copied in Southern India and Yemen.

Footnotes from reference;

Quote'' For a related example see Robert Elgood, Firearms Of The Islamic World in the Tareq Rajab Museum, Kuwait, 1995, pp. 181 and 207-8, no. 124 (illustrated).'' Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 11:48 AM   #13
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 624
Default yemeni matchlock

hi liam,have you managed to get this gun into new Zealand,i am based in Auckland,nz and also collect such guns,do email me on rajeshalva@hotmail.com
regards rajesh
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:04 PM   #14
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfarrell
Thanks Stu - for your reply

Out of interest - I am currently living in Dubai, but am originally from NZ (Hokitika), and lived a long time in christchurch. Any ideas on how to legally bring this gun into the country?? - ie: collectors licence, importing licence?? any info woudl be appreciated.
HI YES YOU WOULD NED A STANDARD FIREARMS LICENCE TO IMPORT THIS INTO NEW ZEALAND,AND APPLY FOR A PERMIT TO IMPORT,YOU HAVE TO IDENTIFY A CARRIER AIRLINE AS MANY AIRLINES DONT EVEN TAKE ANTIQUE FIREARMS,NZ CUSTOMS WILL CHARGE YOU 15% GST ON COST OF ITEM PLUS SHIPPING FEE TO NEW ZEALAND,REGARDS RAJESH ALVA
rajeshalva@hotmail.com
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 08:28 AM   #15
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all...Just a few notes to add... The material wrapping the stock and butt may be a pot metal mixture including aluminium. The condition of the sharply cut split palmette and work on the butt looks fresh...and whilst not unusual it may indicate relatively recent work done in this regard. Some evidence by ICOMAN indicates a possible European / German origin to matchlocks in the region particularly Oman...Please see http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/O...d-viewing-1znc ....however the Indian link for Yemen is clear for this style..since the umbilical chord of trade and close relations has tied the two countries firmly together for centuries. I see various stones used in the decoration to woodwork here including glass beads in the likeness of coral and ageek...(agate.) The huge butt wooden stopper is also typical of Yemeni style. Souks in the region appear to be still picking up through-put items like this from Sanaa and I wondered if this one came via the Sharjah Souk ?

I read an interesting article from [Link removed] where a comparison and link is attributed to Coorg guns in South India because of trade and mercenaries of Southern Arabia operating there...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
saalam Ibrahim,which is the best souks in Dubai or sharjah to look out for weapons like these,and how much would one expect to pay,can you buy these without a gun licence in the U.A.E
WHATS THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR BUYING GUNS FROM THERE,REGARDS RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 05:55 AM   #16
kahnjar1
Member
 
kahnjar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 2,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
HI YES YOU WOULD NED A STANDARD FIREARMS LICENCE TO IMPORT THIS INTO NEW ZEALAND,AND APPLY FOR A PERMIT TO IMPORT,YOU HAVE TO IDENTIFY A CARRIER AIRLINE AS MANY AIRLINES DONT EVEN TAKE ANTIQUE FIREARMS,NZ CUSTOMS WILL CHARGE YOU 15% GST ON COST OF ITEM PLUS SHIPPING FEE TO NEW ZEALAND,REGARDS RAJESH ALVA
rajeshalva@hotmail.com
Hi Liam, This is not NECESSARILY the case. IF you are bringing the gun to NZ as part of your luggage, then just pack it as parcel and have it checked as part of your luggage. You should not need to declare the contents to the airline. When you get here though DO NOT under any circumstances try to fool Customs as they will seize the item. Get the right paperwork and be straight up and you should have not problems. If you are bringing the item with you then the GST payment should not apply. Anything SENT to NZ over $300 in value usually attracts duty/GST charges.
Hope this helps.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Member
 
Ibrahiim al Balooshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buraimi Oman, on the border with the UAE
Posts: 4,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
saalam Ibrahim,which is the best souks in Dubai or sharjah to look out for weapons like these,and how much would one expect to pay,can you buy these without a gun licence in the U.A.E
WHATS THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR BUYING GUNS FROM THERE,REGARDS RAJESH
Salaams Bandook, Its not so much the regulations here you need to worry about ...more the regs of the country you want to bring/send them to. Whilst here they may only observe a load of old pipes...but the country you send them on to/ export to may take a very different view. Price I dont get into here... Its down to the bargaining principles... The 3 souks to observe are Yemen-Sanaa, Muscat-Muttrah and Sharjah-Blue Souk... The Yemeni one whilst probably the best for these items is a whole lot different from the security angle but once you have set up a trader there he may be the best way forward... Frankly I wouldnt go there ...Muscat and Sharjah are very safe ...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.