Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 20th March 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default My second purchase from Auctions Imperial

Beside from the talibon I win a second piece from AI at Timonium for unbelievable low money and this maybe only because Steve was so fixated to get the kampilan that he don't reconized this nice gunong!
http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot....genum=1&lang=En
According to the description are the fittings at the scabbard from silver and the ferrule at the handle are from swasa. I have given a very low bid and never thought that I will win it by this price.
Here the pictures.
Attached Images
    

Last edited by Sajen : 21st March 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Indianajones
Member
 
Indianajones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 180
Default

Nice purchases; it seems you are getting quite a Filipino collection (next to your Molucca)!
Good luck
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Nice purchases; it seems you are getting quite a Filipino collection (next to your Molucca)!
Good luck


Yes, in the moment it is growing!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 04:13 AM   #4
archer
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 348
Default On line bids

Hi, I bid on line too. So far I haven't been notified. My bid was recorded as winning, so today I called and asked when I might be notified. I was told winning the on line bid was not final as our bids had to be compared bids at the auction, So I should know by the end of the week. Have you guys been notified?
Thanks, Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Hello Archer,

I have get the bill already for my two items at Monday and paid with my credit card. Do have been declared/registered for bidding?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Centerville, Kansas
Posts: 2,055
Default

Beautiful gunong Detlef, I am very happy that you were able to add this to your ever growing Philippine collection. Do you have an idea on the age of this piece? My congratulations to you on being able to acquire this, I am jealous !!!

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:13 AM   #7
AJ1356
Member
 
AJ1356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 286
Default

Very nice, Imperial had lots of nice stuff this time.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 09:12 AM   #8
kai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,868
Default

Congrats, Detlef, nice one! Please keep us posted when you receive these.

Seems like this year, again, some bids were not honoured and contributed to quite a few pieces going for much less than current market prices or what any straight ebay auction would have gained. I do wonder who commissions these pieces for auction when the auctioneer seems to repeatedly underperform.

Last year I had a confirmed CC and confirmed online bids; I should have been the high bidder on 3 pieces - none of these bids were honoured and all went for much less than my limit. I was not amused and neither were any of the sellers, I guess...

Needless to say, I didn't received any explanation from AI despite several tries from my side. Given the apparently erratic performance, I won't consider selling any piece from my collection through this auction.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Beautiful gunong Detlef, I am very happy that you were able to add this to your ever growing Philippine collection. Do you have an idea on the age of this piece? My congratulations to you on being able to acquire this, I am jealous !!!

Robert


Hi Robert,

thank's again! I would guess for the age around 1920-1930 but Jose will know it more exactly. In the description was told late 19th century but this I would take with a pinch of salt!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
Very nice, Imperial had lots of nice stuff this time.


Thank you! Yes, some very nice items and I am curious to see by which prices they are sold!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Congrats, Detlef, nice one! Please keep us posted when you receive these.

Seems like this year, again, some bids were not honoured and contributed to quite a few pieces going for much less than current market prices or what any straight ebay auction would have gained. I do wonder who commissions these pieces for auction when the auctioneer seems to repeatedly underperform.

Last year I had a confirmed CC and confirmed online bids; I should have been the high bidder on 3 pieces - none of these bids were honoured and all went for much less than my limit. I was not amused and neither were any of the sellers, I guess...

Needless to say, I didn't received any explanation from AI despite several tries from my side. Given the apparently erratic performance, I won't consider selling any piece from my collection through this auction.

Regards,
Kai


Thank you Kai,

will post some more pictures when I have received it. Can add in the moment that it is 25 cm overall.

I was astonished for example that I get the talibon for $ 150 since the highest online bid have been by $ 170 (still I am). It seems that many bids are not honoured this time as well. And agree with you that I never won't consider selling any piece by AI.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 08:14 PM   #12
VVV
Member
 
VVV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,635
Default

$ 150!!!

That was a steal for this nice punal, congratulations Detlef.

Have you received a confirmation that you really got it?
I have also had the same kind of experience once as Kai with AI.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
$ 150!!!

That was a steal for this nice punal, congratulations Detlef.

Have you received a confirmation that you really got it?
I have also had the same kind of experience once as Kai with AI.

Michael


Hi Michael,

yes, a real steal! But not $ 150, this was for the talibon, $ 70 for the punal!!!! And yes again, have get an invoice and a confirmation that it will be shipped this week.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 09:34 PM   #14
VVV
Member
 
VVV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,635
Default

Hi Detlef,

Even better!
The Talibon/Garab is my favorite Visayan sword.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 10:24 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,685
Default

Sajen you are right in the estimate of age for this piece. Congratulations.

I would watch the oxidation process over the next couple of months - if it starts to oxidize dark then it is copper, if no change, then swassa. Of course a jeweler could test and find out for you........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:38 PM   #16
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Sajen you are right in the estimate of age for this piece. Congratulations.

I would watch the oxidation process over the next couple of months - if it starts to oxidize dark then it is copper, if no change, then swassa. Of course a jeweler could test and find out for you........


Hello Jose,

thank you for confirming the age of the gunong. Since I have pieces made from swasa I hope that I can see it by the colour, when I will have doubts I will let test it.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Ferguson
Member
 
Ferguson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kernersville, NC, USA
Posts: 748
Send a message via AIM to Ferguson
Default

Very nice Detlef!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:39 AM   #18
CharlesS
Member
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,511
Default

Rsword and I both had a chance to see that one and really admired what we both thought was swassa. I hope we were right!

Congrats!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Rsword and I both had a chance to see that one and really admired what we both thought was swassa. I hope we were right!

Congrats!



Thank you Charles, hope you and Rick are right as well!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Have received the gunong and I am very pleased. But I am nearly sure that the "silver" fittings are just silver plated.

Next days I will take some additional pictures!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 12:21 AM   #21
Sajen
Member
 
Sajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany, Dortmund
Posts: 5,963
Default

Here as well some additional pictures.
Attached Images
    
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.