Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th February 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Ypoznan

Default Folding knife - looking for information

Hello Gentlemen.
Looking for information on the knife in the picture. I have my own theory, but I do not want to reveal her not to suggest answers. The knife is very specific when it comes to finish the handle. It seems to me that the shape of the handle determines how easily sticks to the knife. This "tail" at the end is very bent and interferes with (I think) in holding the knife in the traditional way. It remains to handle the opposite. But of course it is only speculation.

Knife is probably derived from the twentieth century, may be slightly older. Probably lacks linings. Survived only metal parts, very, very rusty.

I would be grateful for every response. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Ypoznan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

JUST A GUESS PERHAPS ITS A OLD FORM OF RAZOR? I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SORT OF KNIFE THE BARBERS USED IN THE DAYS OF DON QUIXOTE. THE CURVED PART AT THE BACK IS UNUSUAL AND UNKNOWN TO ME BUT IT STRIKES ME AS PERHAPS SPAIN, PORTUGAL OR ITALY IN ORIGIN BUT JUST A GUESS?? BUT ANY POST DESERVES A REPLY.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Andrew

Looks like a straight razor to me.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 05:25 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Folding kinfe = Navaja

Spanish author Rafael Forton reminds us that the term NAVAJA comes from NOVACULA, meaning (in Latin) nova, as for renewing, or making new, referring to the act of shaving.
The missing link, being a transitional specimen or specimens connecting the ancestor razor blade to 'modern' navajas (folding knives) must be jewels to collectors.
An hypothetical approach to such thing is shown in his work LA NAVAJA ESPAŅOLA ANTIGUA (so often quoted in this forum), in page 24, estimated to be from the 17th century.
I would'nt mind considering Ypoznan's old (ancient ?) example worthy of certain importance.
I wonder what Navaja enthusiasts like Chris Evans think about this piece.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Ypoznan

Thank you very much for your answers.

Hmm ... I will say frankly that he considered the possibility that it might be a razor to shave. But I found nothing similar. I compared this to the old blade razors: Spanish, generally European, Egyptian, Chinese - nothing.
I am a passionate about Spanish Navajas and according to me (although I'm not an expert), it is not Spanish Navaja de afeitar. Of course I have no confidence.

Still, after all, does not exclude the possibility that it could be razor. Only that it probably does not come from the Iberian peninsula. I was looking for razors now in Arabic, Serbian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Turkish... - also nothing.

The blade is not unique. Many knives Europe (and elsewhere) has a similar blade, it's not special. The key role of the handle, which is very rare. Especially the ending. Here is the key to the puzzle. I also saw a razor, with a similar blade, but the handles were very different. Their handles are curved or straight, but did not have such a "tail".

I hope I hit on the right track.

Bardzo dziękuję.
Janusz
Old 17th February 2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Chris Evans

Hi Everybody,

Ypoznan; Pleased to make your acquaintance on this forum. I have read your many excellent posts on the Spanish forum and visited your equally outstanding website, my only regret being that I do not speak Polish. Nice to see a fellow navaja enthusiast here.

Fernando: Regarding ancient folding knives, I am out of my depth and into guess-work territory. Those of us that can access the Spanish writings have all read the standard works on the subject and I, for one, find it hard to add anything concrete. With Ypozna's knife we are into archeology!

I am inclined to think that the concept of a folding knife is so simple that it musty have been known for a very, very long time. As for actual clasp knives, with some sort of blade affixing mechanism in the open position, I go with Forton, namely that it is a post 1700s development, but only for lack of convincing evidence to the contrary. By the Renaissance, lockwork mechanisms were so highly developed, just look at gun wheelocks, that it was more than possible to make a clasp knife, it's just that we haven't been presented with a reliably dated specimen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I wonder what Navaja enthusiasts like Chris Evans think about this piece.
Exactly what the author said; Navaja de afeitar? (razor?) Too hard to tell, especially without being able to handle the specimen. I often wondered what poor folk in the olden days used to shave with and a roughly made razor, akin to the one shown would have fitted the role well. After all, even a well sharpened pocket knife will allow one to shave, albeit not pleasantly. All that is needed is a very thin edge, which need not extend too far up. This thin edge would have been lost with the passing of time, rendering positive identification impossible, unless the rest of the blade was also too thin for other applications.

Edit: An afterthought. When closed, the handle would have made contact with the edge, hardly ideal for a shaving razor, even if lined with soft leather or such like.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chris Evans; 18th February 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Ypoznan

I respond with a delay because of my posts must be approved by the Administration Board. I do not have full access to the forum.

Hello Chris. I am also very happy being able to talk to you. Also I am very happy that my site you like. Recognition from your site a lot to me.
As you probably noticed, in my previous post ruled out the Spanish origin of this knife. So I think in any case. I have not seen in the source texts of Navajas anything like it. I hope you are able to confirm my suspicions.

Knife does not belong to me. Maybe soon I'll have more pictures and further details about it - then be supplemented topic. I'm thinking ... maybe this knife is much older? I've seen similar structurally knives from Roman times. As correctly noted by Chris, the design of this knife is very simple and well known for a long time. It is difficult to definitely rule anything in this matter ...

Pozdrawiam serdecznie
Janusz