Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th October 2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Interesting Yunnan Dagger

Hi All

I just picked this up on ebay seems old but I am not that familiar with these types of knives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2882wt_926
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Ron Anderson

Very nice.

Chiseled blade. Wow.

I'm not familiar with these kinds of knives but I would have thought it was from the Balkans, or Ottoman empire period Turkey.

But what would I know.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Interesting sticker

Interesting sticker Lew, I wonder if it was even hidden in a plain sheath to resemble a simple stick, a wolf in sheeps clothing.
It appears to me to be from the border regions of China, Burma & Laos, a very diverse region.
Similar file designs to the spine are seen on my Hudaidao from this region shown on display in my Gallery page, as I am not permitted to place the link in these pages myself, I'll grab the image of the file work and place it here for reference.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 02:55 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default File markings

File markings found on my prize pair ;-)

Gav
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter

Gav
Wow, very interesting to see the match of the marking along the spine! And the two hollow dots...so maybe that was suppose to be that way? I had thought that along the spine the hollow round holes had contained inlaid brass dots that had fallen out?! Now seeing both Gavin's piece and yours Lew it makes me wonder?!? Intentional?! or missing brass dots? Love it.

I was thinking before that this piece was more Burmese....granted the same/ related tribes are across both borders...and traded amongst each other. Thanks for sharing the pics, Gavin.

Great knife, Lew! Guess I didn't bid high enough! Nah, well great to see you got it and posted about it! You will have to post some pics once you receive it in the mail!

The multiple fullers reminds me of the one dha you have Gavin...I'll let you do the honors if it suits you As I remember you nicknamed it 'the multi- fuller death dealer'?!?!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 05:01 AM   #6
Nathaniel

You know now that I think about it...The blade shape of the knife is not the norm of what you see for people in the Golden Triangle area...but it does remind me of the same shape of some Hudiedao....not to say this means much...but just an observation....I know it's a stretch.

#s012
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 15th October 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Nathaniel

Quote:

Gav
Another idiot observation...the decorative marks on the tip of the upturned flaring guard on your Yunnan Hudeidao remind me of something you see on more of with some Indian pieces??

Last edited by Nathaniel; 11th October 2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Another idiot observation...the decorative marks on the tip of the upturned flaring guard on your Yunnan Hudeidao remind me of something you see on more of with some Indian pieces??
To my eye and others more learned do not agree with me, but I think the quillon ends appear more Thai or Vietnamese in design...

On the multi-fullered front Nathaniel, I think this is the piece your draw similarities from, the feather weight fighter.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2010, 04:37 PM   #9
katana

Hi Lew,
the similarity to a Shula (albeit a straight bladed version) is striking. I have seen several Arabic curved bladed daggers with a very similar 'fullering' pattern......can't find pictures though

Regards David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Andrew

I really like the stuff from Yunnan. Nice knife, Lew.

Gav, I don't know how you manage to hold on to that pair--horrible. Really disgusting and ugly. Look, mate, if you ever feel like you just can't stand the sight of that set, send me an email. I'll take them off your hands and give them a good home.

Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
Nathaniel

Quote:
To my eye and others more learned do not agree with me, but I think the quillon ends appear more Thai or Vietnamese in design...

On the multi-fullered front Nathaniel, I think this is the piece your draw similarities from, the feather weight fighter.

Gav
Okay, I found the picture of mine: Similar to Gavin's but his has a inlaid seal in the middle of the blade so 6 fullers compared to 4.

Old 12th October 2010, 12:24 AM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Okay, I found the picture of mine: Similar to Gavin's but his has a inlaid seal in the middle of the blade so 6 fullers compared to 4.

I love these Dha blade Nathaniel and your example is a very nice clean example, true beauties....and in the hand WOW...though look close there is a 7th fuller at the top of the forte and if you add the fullered spine in to the mix that makes for 15 fullers to the whole blade Yours too has another fuller that I think I can see too...If Lews little one has 6 fullers, image what its big brother must have should he still be around ;-)

Andrew, the pain that pair puts me through every time I walk in to my office ,I couldn't ever wish the burden on another, it would not be fair

David, an interesting observation, those Shula are usually good quality knives in the big scheme of things, though I have not yet seen a straight one...interested to see on though and also the fullering pattern you note in other regions too.

Lew, you have an interesting knife there. Simple, functionable and obviously a strong sharp blade of good manufacture. I'd like to see more on the temple like pommel, that is an interesting feature.

Gav
Old 13th October 2010, 11:02 PM   #13
Andrew

lol. You have another matched pair of daab I'd be willing to take off your hands as well. Just say the word--I'm there for you, mate.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:05 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Default But wait there is more

Andrew, you would have to be the kindest man I have ever known, wanting to burden yourself with items such as these and to release us from the stress of these in our lives.
I fear if I was to show you the matched pair of 40inch Namphee steel Thai Dha you may go in to meltdown and as the weight of all these will surely be too much...

On another note Andrew, looking at the stacked temple like pommel of Lew's, can you draw any conclusions from its shape?

Gav
Old 14th October 2010, 04:57 AM   #15
Nathaniel

Quote:
I love these Dha blade Nathaniel and your example is a very nice clean example, true beauties....and in the hand WOW...though look close there is a 7th fuller at the top of the forte and if you add the fullered spine in to the mix that makes for 15 fullers to the whole blade Yours too has another fuller that I think I can see too...If Lews little one has 6 fullers, image what its big brother must have should he still be around ;-)
Gav, Yup, you are correct there is a thin line fuller towards the spine at the forte. So that would make 5 fullers each side...10 total. There is a very nice false edge that starts at the 1/3 of the way up....wickedly light...one of the best blades I own and it's a longer that normal dha blade at 27 inches. How long is your blade? Unfortunately, mine does not have the original scabbard as yours does.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:45 PM   #16
Andrew

Cool

Quote:
On another note Andrew, looking at the stacked temple like pommel of Lew's, can you draw any conclusions from its shape?

Gav
Hi Gav,

It's one of those Thai elements that, when combined with certain Chinese elements, are characteristic of many weapons from Yunnan.

Otherwise, not sure what you're asking.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 15th October 2010, 12:30 AM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Default The pommel cap

Thanks Andrew,

I thought the six sided 'temple like' pommel may be characterisitc directly related to a specific region/culture/belief rather than just artistic licence when manufactured.
I say this as the maker could simply have added a simple plate to peen the tang over.

Gav
Old 15th October 2010, 02:56 AM   #18
Nathaniel

My guess : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupa
Old 15th October 2010, 03:07 AM   #19
Nathaniel

Or you may find similar to a: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagoda But a Pagoda is a place of worship, where as a Stupa is not something you can go into, but contains relics of the Buddha. Think of it kind of like a Buddhist Pyramid, but instead the the Pharaohs Relics, it's the Buddhas
Old 15th October 2010, 03:08 AM   #20
Nathaniel

White Stupa in Xishuanbanna in Yunnan Province...this one is more clear Tai/Dai influence. The temples there show what we would most commonly recognize as more of Burmese type architecture, culture & dress.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 15th October 2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 15th October 2010, 03:09 AM   #21
Nathaniel

Three Pagoda in Dali, Yunnan
Old 15th October 2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Andrew

Quote:
Thanks Andrew,

I thought the six sided 'temple like' pommel may be characterisitc directly related to a specific region/culture/belief rather than just artistic licence when manufactured.
I say this as the maker could simply have added a simple plate to peen the tang over.

Gav
Oh, it's definitely possible, Gav. I just don't know personally.

A