Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
katana

Default Short Spear - like an Zulu Iklwa , but not.

After seeing the sellers pictures, I had assumed that the shaft had been 'cut down' (a common practice with 'bring backs' ) However, on receiving it ...I am almost certain that the shaft was originally this length and that it is possibly used as the Zulu's Iklwa.

The head is socketted and the blade is a very 'flattened' diamond (cross section) Spearhead 'blade' is 34cms long (5cms at the widest point)It is very well tempered and seems more like a sword blade in nature. The edges are sharp with a number of very old nicks.
It seems to me that this spear other than the usual stabbing function also has some cutting abillity ....a 'cut and thrust' spear ?????

It definately handles as a close quarter weapon....OAL 125cms

Some of the engraved decoration seem Congolese, others seem Sudanese

Please has anyone any ideas to origins ....and whether this spear is used as I am suggesting. thank you

Regards David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Definately not Zulu. I would go with Sudanese or maybe Hausa tribe from Nigeria?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I think I would agree with Lew. The idiot I am, I lost these two spears in a bad swap.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=sahel+spear
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

"The idiot I am, I lost these two spears in a bad swap."

Happens to all of us....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
ashoka

It's probably a Mandinka/Manding spear, I,ve had several similar with the leatherwork typical of the swords, this one probably also had leatherwork along the shaft. So Niger/Chad/Nigeria type area. I,ll post a picture if it would be of interest.
ashoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Martin Lubojacky

I saw similar spearheads like David´s one in North Cameroon and also North Nigeria.Not exactly the same, but very similar. Acc to some local people they vere from Sokoto, acc to another ones from Adamawa. Never with shaft. I will do my best to post photos during the weekend, but the spearheads will not be cleaned.
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Iain

I'm going to throw in a wild guess of Fuble jaral (stabbing spear), I'm afraid I don't have good documentation for the type (besides a mention in "Notes on the "Bororo Fulbe" or Nomad "Cattle Fulani". Part I, by E. A. Brackenbury © 1924 The Royal African Society."), but having seen the description of the type pop up occasionally, combined with the general Nigerian/Cameroon providence provided by other members I think it's a relatively good stab in the dark.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:42 PM   #8
katana

Wow ! thought there was only one reply and then found many (its been a little quiet on the Forum lately )....thank you very much for all your replies ,

I have had another look at the shaft, the last third (opposite to the 'head' end ) is slightly tapered .....again suggesting that this was originally designed to be 'short'. Had the shaft been longer and the taper continued down its length it would have been incredibly thin and 'weedy' at its 'butt' end.

Hi Ashoka,
I would like to see the pictures of the Mandinka/Manding versions of the spear, thank you.

Hi Martin,
look forward to the pictures, thanks.

Hi Tim,
I suspect nearly all of us have had regrets swopping/selling items ....I know I have ....and Battara has ... and.....

Thanks Lew for your prompt reply and ISPN for the 'background' reference

Kind Regards David
Old 29th April 2010, 02:32 PM   #9
ashoka

Images of a related spear, less fullering but similar profile and decoration, length of the head on this one is 57 cms to the base of the socket. The shaft on this is pretty thin and light too.
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2010, 03:02 PM   #10
katana

Thanks Ashoka ,
as you said very similar (very nice spear, by the way), Spearhead, on mine, is 47cms from point to base of socket. I cannot see evidence of any leather having been used to cover the shaft, but similar to yours.... it is both thin and light.
However, there are a number of 'shrinkage' cracks that have a dried 'substance' within them ......to me (using a jeweller's loupe) it looks like 'old' dried out hide glue or a similar 'organic' adhesive ....perhaps evidence that there was a covering afterall

Kind Regards David
Old 29th April 2010, 03:30 PM   #11
ashoka

There is fabric/cotton under the leather as is usual for this kind of work, probably glued on, Maybe the reason why the shafts are so light/slender, if yours had had fabric and leather on it, it would have been a pretty regular thickness. It's Stefan not Ashoka btw
Old 29th April 2010, 05:15 PM   #12
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashoka
There is fabric/cotton under the leather as is usual for this kind of work, probably glued on, Maybe the reason why the shafts are so light/slender, if yours had had fabric and leather on it, it would have been a pretty regular thickness. It's Stefan not Ashoka btw
Hi Stefan ( ),
my apologies ......the fabric 'under-covering' is a good point, the hardened 'hide' glue does seem to have fibres within it, and as you say the combined layers of fabric and leather would increase the diameter.....but would also have the benefit of strengthening the shaft also.

Kind Regards David
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Martin Lubojacky

Enclosed please find some types of spearheads from Nigerian Sahel, also from neighbouring Cameroonian areas (and also from Chad). Following info was not verified - I just repeat what local vendors said:
The first three spearheads from the left side should be from Chad, the first one is very heavy.
The fourth from the left should be from Nigerian Adamawa.
5th (slender one) was allegedly used by "Shewa Arabs", area between Maiduguri and Maroua (also Borno state, Kanuri people).
6th - nobody knows (local "mystery", could allegedly be from Burkina Faso ?)
7th - allegedly common shape in Nigerian Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Taraba States, the shape should be typical form northern Nigeria, common. Engravings on the blade were done by Fulani people - who also used this shape.
8th - Very common shape in Sahel, this one allegedly from Kano - Sokoto (?)
The last one - first from the right: Allegedly Tupuri people speaking Laka language, willages Durum, Durubai, Tereki (Nigerian-Cameroonian borderland).
Regards,

Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:35 PM   #14
katana

Hi Martin,
nice collection of spearheads and thank you for posting them.

Kind Regards David