Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th October 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default Auction Review San Giorgio, Genova, Oct 4, 2009: An Unusually Fine Two Hand Sword

This late 16th century Venetian Sword was hammered down at 12,200 € on Oct 4, 2009 making it one of the most expensive specimens of its group.

As the description states the grip leather has been restored.

Enjoy the details.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

On we go.
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

That's it.
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Default Another Venetian Two Hand Sword in the same sale, sold 7,000 euro plus fees

Have fun!

Michael
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

The rest.
Attached Images

Old 15th October 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Marc

Outstanding!
Thank you, Michael. As always in your case, the pictures are not only (obviously) beautiful, but carefully picked up to be also extremely informative, turning your posts into true references.
Just a question... why Venetian? Is this typology (side rings, relatively straight and relatively short quillions, usually of round or poligonal section, relatively narrow blade, frequently fullered, etc...) abundant in the Doge's Palace Armory, or a certain number of them have been found with Venetian marks in the blade? I'm aware of the Winged Lion in the second exemplar, but I'm curious for the origins of the wider typological attribution.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Marc,

Though not being able by far to match your profound arguments on correctly assigning this sword I fully agree with you from the little I do know. So I am not ashamed to admit just having followed the catalog description.

Whenever trying to be precise on edged weapons in my posts I follow expert opinions sought before.

Like always, your kind words on the 'outfit' of my posts make all efforts seem worth while, so thanks a million!

Best,
Michael
Old 15th October 2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would like to echo Marc's comments Michael on your brilliant work at presenting these weapons in such detail, perfectly shown in instructive setting and with the additional graphic to restructure markings as originally placed. Absolutely superb!!

I admit that in these very high end auction catalogues which are clearly attended by equally high end and discerning collectors, I presume the attributions are accordingly vetted and correct.
This does not, as noted, answer the questions sought by students and scholars studying the weapons, asking why?

As Marc has astutely noted, the winged lion suggests of course the Doge's Palace in Venice, supporting the attribution, but it will be interesting to look comparitively for outstanding features that might denote certain key characteristics associated with Venetian weapons.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 05:49 PM   #9
broadaxe

Any chance to know the weights?
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Marc

Your posts, Micahel, are more than worthwhile. They are a treasure

Thanks for your answer. I'll keep looking for clues, that's something that has been circling my mind for some time, now...

Thanks again. Both swords are a beauty, would have loved to be at the hands-on sessions for the sale...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
Any chance to know the weights?

Unfortunately not for these but we do know from various documented specimens of two hand swords that they varied in both length and weight from ca. 150-170 cm and 2.300 to 3.200 kg (ca. 1500-1550) and from ca. 170-220 cm, their weight reaching more than 4.5 kg in the later years of the 16th and the first quarter of the 17th centuries.

Best,
Michael
Old 21st October 2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

I admit that in these very high end auction catalogues which are clearly attended by equally high end and discerning collectors, I presume the attributions are accordingly vetted and correct.
This does not, as noted, answer the questions sought by students and scholars studying the weapons, asking why?

All best regards,
Jim
Hi Jim,

Like so many times before you took the words right out of my mouth - although, having been both a regular attender and buyer at such high end sales over the decades, I would tend to sort of relativize the broad and honorable expectation that 'the attributions are accordingly vetted and correct.' The general situation seems to be better with the renowned British houses but now and then even they feature items in their catalogs which are highly dubious at first glance to say the least (mostly swords and hafted weapons, I have to admit) and which sometimes make me go out and bet a friend that 'a special piece' will not be sold. Would these bets involve money instead of just being proved right I might be a rich man by now ...

I am trying not to either oversimplify or cherish national prejudices but the further south (and/or east) you get on the map the more generous, lavish, liberal and open to interpretation quality assignments in auction sales tend to get ... Sadly Germany seems to be about as far south and east as you will get ...

I have to admit that I had added some more icons originally, and not all of them smilies (though all from our official list), but a very nice, intelligent and far-seeing deus ex machina kept me from posting them.

With my very best wishes,
Michael