Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd August 2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Royston

Default PARANG JENGOK ?

G.C. Stone refers to a weapon called a Parang Jengok, unfortunately with out a picture in his epic tome.

The description of it's use sounds a bit dubious but I suppose anything is possible

I am probably way off the track here, but is it possible that this is one ? I have never seen one, has anyone else ?

I realise that it would require the "hook" to be straightened out and that Stone says the projection comes from the end rather than down the back, but if it isn't one, then perhaps someone can tell me what it is.

As usual all comments will be greatfully received.

Thanks
Roy
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
G.C. Stone refers to a weapon called a Parang Jengok, unfortunately with out a picture in his epic tome.

The description of it's use sounds a bit dubious but I suppose anything is possible

I am probably way off the track here, but is it possible that this is one ? I have never seen one, has anyone else ?

I realise that it would require the "hook" to be straightened out and that Stone says the projection comes from the end rather than down the back, but if it isn't one, then perhaps someone can tell me what it is.

Thanks
Roy
Hi Roy,

it's a very nice Kelewang from Kelentan, Malaysia. Look inside "Spirit of Wood" on page 104-105.

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 02:43 AM   #3
t_c

Nice piece Roy, really interesting blade style.

Here's an example from Gardner's book on Keris - sorry about the bad photo, but there's a Parang Jengok for comparison too.

the text:
1. Parang Jengkok 2. Kelantan: parang bengkok 3. Golok jambu. 4 & 5. Java: kudik.
Gardner does also call it a Kelantan Kelewang ("Golok jambu or the Kelantan Kelewang" pg 73) - maybe Sajen can clarify the two names, perhaps one is local, the other general? How wide-spread are these blades?

Gardner offers an little anecdote: one would swing the blade over their shoulder to "spike" their enemy in the brain as they are passing by!? Hearsay by Gardner's own account, but interesting.

After seeing this somewhat irregular style of blade I was wondering if is it possible that some of the weapons depicted on "Weapons of Moroland" plaques are actually of foreign origin/trade pieces (assuming that some are not made up entirely)? There seems to be a fair amount of "spiked" pieces shown on the plaques, but I haven't seen too many historical examples of "spiked" blades coming out of the southern PI. I know it's a stretch, but it might explain some things....
Attached Images

t_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston

Thanks
Roy
That's a kelewang as Sajen mentioned.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 12th August 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_c
.. Here's an example from Gardner's book on Keris - sorry about the bad photo, but there's a Parang Jengok for comparison too.

the text:
1. Parang Jengkok 2. Kelantan: parang bengkok 3. Golok jambu. 4 & 5. Java: kudik.
Gardner does also call it a Kelantan Kelewang ("Golok jambu or the Kelantan Kelewang" pg 73) - maybe Sajen can clarify the two names, perhaps one is local, the other general? How wide-spread are these blades?...
1 ~ 2: are examples of Kelantanese parang / golok.. include an example of a parang jambul / calung / jenguk / ginah / anak wali.. all names refering to the same class of items..
3: is a kelewang. note the handle and shape of the item.
4 ~ 5: are kudi and kujang respectively..

Last edited by Alam Shah; 12th August 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_c
Nice piece Roy, really interesting blade style.

Here's an example from Gardner's book on Keris - sorry about the bad photo, but there's a Parang Jengok for comparison too.

the text:
Gardner does also call it a Kelantan Kelewang ("Golok jambu or the Kelantan Kelewang" pg 73) - maybe Sajen can clarify the two names, perhaps one is local, the other general? How wide-spread are these blades?

Gardner offers an little anecdote: one would swing the blade over their shoulder to "spike" their enemy in the brain as they are passing by!? Hearsay by Gardner's own account, but interesting.

After seeing this somewhat irregular style of blade I was wondering if is it possible that some of the weapons depicted on "Weapons of Moroland" plaques are actually of foreign origin/trade pieces (assuming that some are not made up entirely)? There seems to be a fair amount of "spiked" pieces shown on the plaques, but I haven't seen too many historical examples of "spiked" blades coming out of the southern PI. I know it's a stretch, but it might explain some things....

Sorry,

I know nearly nothing about this parang, I only remember direct that I have seen this parang inside the book I write before. But I think that Alam clarify this already. But I can try to take a photo from the book later.

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote