Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th July 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default Some books for collectors

Here are some books from my book list – maybe some of them will be of interest. Pleas notice that the books shown below are NOT for sale, they are only for orientation.

ACTE-EXPO: Splendeur des Armes Orientales. Galerie ART, Paris 1988.

Akhtar, Dr. Nasim et al.: Islamic Art of India. Islamic Arts Museum, Malaysia 2002.

Allan, James & Gilmour, Brian: Persian Steel, The Tanavoli Collection. Oxford University Press, 2000.

Alexander, David: The Arts of War. The Nasser D. Khalili Collection of Islamic Art. Vol. XXI. The Nauer Foundation in association with Azimuth Editions and Oxford University Press 1992.

Ed. Archer, Mildred, Christopher Rowell & Robert Skelton: Treasures from India. The Clive Collection. The National Trust 1987.

Aziz, Abdul: Arms and Jewellery of Indian Moghuls, Lahor 1947.

Babur-Nama (Memoires of Babur). Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Pvt. Ltd. 1998. Reprint

Balsiger, Roger N., Kläy, Ernst J.: Bei Schah Emir und Kahn. Meier Verlag Schaffhausen 1992.

Battuta; Ibn: The Travels of Ibn Battuta. Munshiram Manoharla Publishers, India. Reprint 1999. Translation and comments by H.A.R.Gibb.

Chodynski, Antoni Romuald (ed.): Persian and Indo-Persian Arms and Armour of 16th - 19th Century from Polish Collection. Malbork, Poland 2000.

Clarke, C.Purdon: Indian Art in Marlborough House. London 1898.

Folsach, Kjeld von: Art from the World of Islam in the David Collection. Copenhagen 2001.

Haas, Claus-Peter. Kröger, Jens: Oriental Splendour. Islamic Art from German Private Collections. Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg 1993.

Holstein, P.: Contribution a L’etude des Armes Orientales vol. I-II. Les Éditions Albert Lévy, Paris 1931.

Hoyland, Robert G. and Gilmoure, Brian: Medieval Islamic Swords and Swordmaking. Kindi’s treatise ‘On swords and their kinds’. Gibb Memorial Trust, London, 2006.

Leth, André: Islamske vĺben i dansk privateje/Islamic Arms and Armour from private Danish Collections. Davids Samling. Copenhagen 1982.

Tod, James: Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan, vol. I-II. Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers, 2001 reprint.

Watt, George: Indian Art at Delhi 1903. Being the Official Catalogue of the Delhi Exhibition 1902- 1903. Delhi 1903, reprint 1987.

Welch, Stuart Cary: Imperial Mughal Painting. Chatto & Windus, London 1978.

Zebrowski, Mark: Gold, Silver and Bronze from Mughal India. Alexandria Press, London 1997.

Zeller, R.: Orientalisches Sammlung Henri Moser-Charlottenfels. Beschreibender Katalog der Waffensamlung. Bern 1955.

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 9th July 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 01:03 PM   #2
paolo

Hi Jens,
I'm really interested in :
Zeller, R.: Orientalisches Sammlung Henri Moser-Charlottenfels. Beschreibender Katalog der Waffensamlung. Bern 1955.

Let me, please, know its price.
Paolo
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
Hi Jens,
I'm really interested in :

Let me, please, know its price.
Paolo
I don't beleive these are for sale Paolo. I think Jens has been kind enough where many wouldn't, to share part of his booklist with fellow collectors and researchers so they too can obtain books that one would otherwise not know about.

Great list thanks Jens.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you Gav.
I did not think that anyone would believe I would sell the books, so I got a bit surprised when I within a quarter of an hour got two mail about buying books from the list. As you will see at the start of the thread, the error has been corrected.
Jens
Old 9th July 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

Exclamation Terms of Service

Forums members are again reminded that commercial discussions are strictly prohibited in the discussions forums, just as discussion is prohibited in the swap forums.

There has been a recent escalation in violations and the bear is awake and in a mauling mood. If anyone wants to go back to moderated status, just violate these rules and that will be the best outcome you can expect. Remember also that your private messaging and forums e-mail forwarding access will be forfeit in this status.

If someone posts something for discussion and you covet it, take it to private message or e-mail. Offers to buy in the discussion forum are a violation.

If you feel a listing in the swap forum is fraudulent, report the post to the moderators team. If you have a lesser disagreement, take it to private message or e-mail with the seller. Third party corrections and comments in the swap forum are a violation.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Lee,
If you think I have done something wrong by posting the book titles - feel free to remove the thread.
Jens
Old 9th July 2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Lee
EAAF Staff

Cool Reading / Library Lists are OK

Jens,
I have no objections at all to persons listing their libraries and or recommended books on a subject and you have done no wrong.
I trust paolo was just briefly disoriented and forgot in which forum he was browsing.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 08:07 PM   #8
paolo

Sorry for the damage I caused.
I didn't red "the books shown below are NOT for sale, they are only for orientation. "
Please forgive me. I red the threat in a great hurry, and when I saw the title of the book I'm searching for by many years, I loose my head.
Regards
Paolo
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Andrew

Thanks, Jens! This reminds me to look for that old bibliography thread we put together and link it to the "classics"...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Tatyana Dianova

Thank you Jens for the very interesting list. I still do not have 90% of books that you mention...
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Jens Nordlunde

For those of you who would like to know some more about the historical background and influence, there are books like this.

Majumdar, R. C.: Suvarnadvipa – Hindu Colonies of the Far East. Vol. I-II. 1937. Cosmo Publications, reprint 2004. It is very interesting, and the author has also written a book about the Champa kingdom, but I don’t have this one yet.

Sewell, Robert: A Forgotten Empire (Vijayanagar). Published 1900, reprint 2007. This one I hope to get within a few days, so I have not read it yet.

One thing, which one must not forget is, that all authors on subjects like this, have used other books for reference, and a mistake made in one of the early books is likely to appear in one of the later books, so the texts should be analysed and compared to the knowledge the reader has, and with other sources.
Old 10th July 2009, 06:49 PM   #12
Sikh_soldier

Thumbs up

Hi Jens

Thank you very much for listing this information, I will try and keep an eye for these texts, I now understand how you have amassed such great knowledge on this subject

Bally
Sikh_soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 09:38 PM   #13
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Bally,
You know, just as I know, that the list is far longer than the one I have shown. It does however give an idea what to look fore. Depending in what directions ones interests goes.
Jens
Old 11th July 2009, 03:28 PM   #14
olikara

Thumbs up 2 pounds for 1

Jens,

I once read somewhere that when one collects arms, you should have 2 pounds weight of books for every 1 pound weight of metal!

You have proved it right!

Nidhi

Last edited by olikara; 11th July 2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo
olikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Jens Nordlunde

Nidhi,

It is nice to hear from you.

No I don’t think I have two pounds of books to one pound of weapons, and I doubt that I have even pound to pound, but I feel quite sure that Anita would skin me, or at least consider it, if I had them 2:1 as you suggest. However, I agree, you can’t get enough books on the subject you collect.

Most start to collect, and then buy a book now and again, but it should be the other way around. Buy a stack of books, read them, and start to collect – I too did it the wrong way.

Jens