Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2007, 03:56 AM   #1
Arny

Smile HEMBRUG KLEWANG (HUMBREG)

I need some help here people. I know very little concerning swords so I'm hoping someone answer a few questions for me. My father served with the Dutch Army in Indonesia from 1946-1949 and came back with 3 kris daggers and what I believe is a Hembrug Klewang (sword) total length 73.70 cm. The blade clearly shows the word: HEMBRUG, which I realize is from Hembrug Holland. Near the hilt (handle) is the following P.A.K. 380. Can anyone shed any light on this inscription? Sorry I don't have a picture but I do know the Dutch used these swords in Indonesia and when the colonial army KNIL fought against the local population, especially the Aceh War of 1873-1904

Would appreciate any help and many thanks.

Last edited by Mark; 25th October 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: removed auction-related text
Arny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Henk

Hello Arny

If it is a sabre with the inscription HEMBRUG, you've a dutch army klewang. The inscription PAK 380 is probably a military notation. But I don't know what it means.

Last edited by Mark; 25th October 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: removed auction-related text
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Arny

Thanks (bedankt) Henk. How interesting that there is 4 types of Klewangs.

I'm still open to suggestions as to what the P.A.K. 380 on the HEMBRUG klewang stands for?

Arny

Last edited by Mark; 25th October 2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: removed auction-related text
Old 24th October 2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Henk

You're welcome, Arny (graag gedaan)

For adding pictures on a thread, search the forum. I know there is a thread with instructions how to add a picture.

Discussing your klewang with the P.A.K. 380 is of course no problem.

Last edited by Mark; 25th October 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: removed auction-related text
Old 24th October 2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Arny

Thanks for the reply Henk. I hope someone else picks up my P.A.K. 380 concern and can give me an answer.
You mention there was 4 types of Klewang's that the KNIL used. Was not the Solingen type also used, making it 5 types of Klewangs?

(Bedankt Meneer, tot ziens) It's always good to practice my Dutch.

Arny

Last edited by Mark; 25th October 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: removed auction-related text
Old 24th October 2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Henk

Arny,

I found a very interesting article by J.P. Puype and R.J. de Stürler Boekwijt.
De Nederlands-Indische marechausseesabel
Ontstaan en ontwikkeling van de militaire klewang
(The Dutch-Indonesian marechausseesabre) (marechaussee is military police)
(Arise and development of the military klewang)

The military klewang was imported in 1898 and used by the marechaussee. These sabres were German blades (Solingen)
In 1904-1905 the production of the Marechausseesabre in the Artillerie Inrichtingen (A.I.) of the Hembrug factory started. If the Hembrugproduction was able to produce enough and how long import from Solingen was necessary, was not predictable. This armyfactory, who came in the years 1897-1899 to the Hembrug was proud that her blades were comparable with the Solingen products, and even better.
The production of klewangs for the Indonesian and later for the Dutch army was a succes.
In 1905 it was decided to provide the entire infantry of the KNIL with the klewang. the marechausseesabre 1905.
The factorystamp HEMBRUG isn't always present. The origin of those blades is uncertain.
It is possible that German producers until the first worldwar continued producing marechausseesabres for the KNIL. And next to the signed examples also delivered unsigned blades.

Small question, you mentioned that you could practice Dutch. Does that mean you aren't Dutch?
Old 24th October 2007, 10:55 PM   #7
Arny

Thanks again Henk. The more I learn about these klewangs, the more I realize how little I do know. Much appreciated.

As to your question Henk, I am of Dutch background in that both parents were born in Holland. They immigrated to Canada in 1951 and my father left his sword and kris daggers in Holland at that time. He got them back 20 years later and was actually carrying them under his arm through the Toronto airport. That would not happen today.
I am born in Canada but speak Dutch reasonably well, although I can't write or read it very well.

A.
Old 25th October 2007, 05:58 PM   #8
kronckew

i have one of the earlier solingen ones that was the model for the rest. we've discussed these at length over the last year & here is the most recent link, this has llinks to earlier discussions. (edited: this is the same link as in post above, i shoulda looked before i leaped )

a solingen made dutch klewang:

i've seen a couple of the japanese captured ones on ebay recently, on those they cut them down & removed most of the hand guard leaving a simple cross guard remnant. i also saw one the other day that had the guard removed completely and the scabbard was a new silver mounted traditional indonesian klewang type. the handgrip with the distinctive rivets was still there tho. i bid on it but it went for about twice what i could afford.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 07:19 PM   #9
Henk

Kronckew,

Now you know what you have. A Dutch Marechausseesabre, made in Solingen by P.D. Luneschloss. Luneschloss is not unknown. Made also some other stuff.

Last edited by Mark; 25th October 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: removed auction-related text
Old 25th October 2007, 08:06 PM   #10
kronckew

it is one of my earliest sword purchases and still one of my most favourite swords, it still has most of it's original dark blued finish on the 62.5 cm blade, except where it has worn a bit from inserting it in the scabbard, but the grind lines are as crisp as the day it was made, and it's as sharp as a razor still with no nicks, gouges or rust damage.

the scabbard is in excellent shape as well, no wear or damage, well oiled - the small button-holed strap has a slight amt. of age cracking.

the guard is rust browned with a nice dark even patina, coated in dried varnish-like oil and the wooden scales are also in excellent shape with only a couple of dents. some evidence of stabilised rust under the scales, but it looks much the same as i'd expect it looked when it was first issued. there is some slight pitting near the hilt around the makers mark area, but none on the rest. it sits next to my bed justincase something (besides the dogs) goes bump in the night... the only thing i'm missing is the frog to hang it from a belt.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 10:31 PM   #11
Mark

Default FYI

It turns out that one of the klewang that started this thread is still on sale. There is a lot of good discussion here, though, so I edited out anything about the auction piece, to preserve the rest.

Please continue this interesting discussion (just don't talk about that other klewang that is on auction).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 02:09 AM   #12
Arny

Well gentlemen, I just acquired 2 Klewangs today, one is an authentic HEMBRUG and the other one is unmarked. Unfortunately, no scabbard for either of them. So if anyone has a scabbard or 2 that will fit on a Klewang or a US M1941 / M1917 CUTLASS please let me know.

Arny
Old 26th October 2007, 02:13 AM   #13
Arny

Mark, the auction on that Klewang that got this discussion going, has ended.

Arny
Old 26th October 2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Mark

OK. Was it ended by a purchase? I had understood that it has been relisted several times. If it's been sold, there is no problem with taking up the discussion again. I have to consider whether putting back the posts (in whole or in part) is appropriate, though.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 04:40 PM   #15
Arny

The auction ended by way of purchase. If you log onto that item on e-bay, it says the item has ended.

Arny
Old 26th October 2007, 06:50 PM   #16
Henk

Mark,

Thank you for deleting the posting on that klewang. It was relisted several times. The seller listened to me and Arny and even changed his description and added the word "FAKE". The seller is a real nice guy and honest. I don't think it will show up soon.

Putting back the posts? Don't know. The only thing we do, is showing that a possible German klewang was upgraded in a bad way to "HEMBRUG klewang" in the search for more money. With that action a good piece was ruined.

Just leave it and lets concentrate on the interesting discussion as you adviced.
Old 26th October 2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Arny

Thanks Mark and Henk.

I'm still attempting to find out what the following means and was found stamped on my Dad's Hembrug Klewang. P.A.K. 380
Anyone want to take a stab at it? Pardon the pun.

Arny
Old 27th October 2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Henk

Arny,

The only thing I can think of is that P.A.K. 380 is a serial number. Klewang and scabbard used to be numbered.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:57 PM   #19
Arny

Yes, most likely, Bedankt Henk.
Old 6th February 2008, 01:50 PM   #20
Henk

Arny,

I found out what the meaning is of the marking P.A.K. 380 on your klewang.
The P. means that this klewang belonged to the police forces. Mostly one or two characters followed the P. Those characters where the indication of the district. A.K. was the district Papoea New Guinea. 380 was the inventory number of the klewang.
That means that your klewang belonged to a police officer in Dutch service on Papoea New Guinea.
Old 7th February 2008, 01:15 AM   #21
Bill M

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=hembrug
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote