Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 19th September 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
dana_w

Default Free e-Book: Die Kriegswaffen in ihren geschichtlichen Entwickelungen (1893)

Die Kriegswaffen in ihren geschichtlichen Entwickelungen (1893)
The weapons of war in their historical evolutions (1893)

Today I have been researching Johann Jacob Kuchenreuter (1709-1783), a Court Gunmaker to the Princes von Thurn und Taxis. While trying to decipher his makers mark I came across a link to a PDF copy of this book. Maybe someone else will find this source of information useful too.

http://archive.org/details/diekriegswaffeni00demmuoft
Attached Images

dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Matus

Hi,

there is an excellent book on the Kuchenreuter dynasty (although in German):

Die Kuchenreuter und ihre Zunftgenossen by Dirk Götschmann

There is also the Kuchenreuter family chronicle available online (in German as well):

http://www.kuchenreuter.de/datei?datei_id=2

Of course, there are other books available, covering in part the Kuchenreuters' works.

Are you collecting the guns of Johann Jacob? He is one of my favorite gunmakers...

Regards,
Matus
Matus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
dana_w

Hello Matus,

I have been researching a holster pistol in my collection made by Johann Jacob Kuchenreuter.

https://plus.google.com/113925773621...ts/VhtaAxuUtpA

I don't YET own a copy of HEER DER NEUE STOCKEL and often turn to this forum for help identifying a makers mark.

When I found Die Kriegswaffen in ihren geschichtlichen Entwickelungen (1893), it seemed like a good thing to share here at the forum.

It's amazing how much good research information is out there if you know where to look. For example here is a copy of the Armouries of the Tower of London, Vol I & II, (1916)

http://archive.org/details/inventorysurveyo01ffou

http://archive.org/details/inventorysurveyo01ffou

I had found the Kuchenreuter website and family history, but not Die Kuchenreuter und ihre Zunftgenossen by Dirk Götschmann. Thanks for sharing, it looks like an interesting book. Unfortunately I don't speak German.

Thanks again,
Dana
Old 6th October 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus
Hi,

there is an excellent book on the Kuchenreuter dynasty (although in German):

Die Kuchenreuter und ihre Zunftgenossen by Dirk Götschmann

There is also the Kuchenreuter family chronicle available online (in German as well):

http://www.kuchenreuter.de/datei?datei_id=2

Of course, there are other books available, covering in part the Kuchenreuters' works.

Are you collecting the guns of Johann Jacob? He is one of my favorite gunmakers...

Regards,
Matus

Hi Matus,

Unfortunately, the author, Dirk Götschmann, has always shown a certain tendency to overestimate his own capabilities as far as early firearms are concerned. Thus, he lacked the basic authority to judge that a wheellock gun made in the style of ca. 1600 and illustrated on one of the first pages in his book on the Kuchenreuter dynasty, is not a genuine piece but a crude 19th century fake.

Not every statement is true and conveyed with real authority solely on the grounds that it is printed in a book.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Another book to take cum grano salis and to interpret and judge with utmost aloofness is Demmin's Kriegswaffen ...

Not only does it represent the state of knowledge of 19th century arms historians at a stage when they were just tying to dare a first and tentative scientific approach to the topic - a state now completely obsolete; what is even more burdensome is the fact that this book contains only line drawings which are both highly vague and inapt for any serious conclusion to base on.

Over a span of more than 35 years of both scientific and practical research into earliest firearms and accouterments, it has become an established principle of mine never to accept drawings to base a judgement on.

Photos are the sole reliable and accurate prerequisite - of course under the reserve that only a thorough inspection including taking the gun completely apart can allow to judge the item with sufficient authority!

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 6th October 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 6th October 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Another book to take cum grano salis and to interpret and judge with utmost aloofness is Demmin's Kriegswaffen ...

Not only does it represent the state of knowledge of 19th century arms historians at a stage when they were just tying to dare a first and tentative scientific approach to the topic - a state now completely obsolete; what is even more burdensome is the fact that this book contains only line drawings which are both highly vague and inapt for any serious conclusion to base on.

Over a span of more than 35 years of both scientific and practical research into earliest firearms and accouterments, it has become an established principle of mine never to accept drawings to base a judgement on.

Photos are the sole reliable and accurate prerequisite - of course under the reserve that only a thorough inspection including taking the gun completely apart can allow to judge the item with sufficient authority!

Best,
Michael
Thanks Michael!

Maybe I was a little too enthusiastic about finding a copy of Die Kriegswaffen in ihren geschichtlichen Entwickelungen, for free at http://archive.org . I don’t speak German, but the makers marks in the book were a help. It is probably a good idea to approach any book with a dose of skepticism, even ones published recently. I know that sometime old books have poor illustrations, use obsolete terms, and have outdated information, but I often still find them useful.

Good photos are almost always preferable to drawings and as you say, there is no substitute for a “thorough inspection including taking the gun completely apart”. It is amazing to watch people who have a lifetime of experience look at a piece. I always try to get them to describe how they look, and what they are looking for.
Old 6th October 2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Dana,

Don't worry, I gathered right away that your main concern was about those few marks printed in Demmin's book.
Stiill the best compendium on gunsmiths as well as crossbow and cranequin makers marks is the first edition of Johan Stockel's Handskydevaabens Bedomelse, 1938 and 1943. It is true that Eugène Heer added many new entries in his 3-volume work Der neue Stockel of 1978 but also mixed up good entires by Johan Stockel.

I own them both.

Best wishes,
Michael
Old 7th October 2013, 06:31 PM   #8
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Dana,

Don't worry, I gathered right away that your main concern was about those few marks printed in Demmin's book.
Stiill the best compendium on gunsmiths as well as crossbow and cranequin makers marks is the first edition of Johan Stockel's Handskydevaabens Bedomelse, 1938 and 1943. It is true that Eugène Heer added many new entries in his 3-volume work Der neue Stockel of 1978 but also mixed up good entires by Johan Stockel.

I own them both.

Best wishes,
Michael
I am still looking for a "reasonably priced" copy of Stockel. I am even willing to settle for the inferior 1978 edition. Luckily, I now know four people who own copies.... BTW, you are number four Michael.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:52 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_w
I am still looking for a "reasonably priced" copy of Stockel.
Amen
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Matus

Hi Michael,

thanks for the comment. I fully agree with you, but I have to say, that the book also contains a lot of useful information - for example about the yearly production of Andreas Jacob - and for a Kuchenreuter fan also a few nice photos.

All the best!

Matus
Matus is offline   Reply With Quote