Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th January 2006, 01:53 AM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default opinions of nice talibon puppy

What do you think of this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/19TH-CENTURY-PHI...QQcmdZViewItem

I tried to get it but as usual, got my brains beaten out again. (That's why now I wear a helmet ).

Nice pierced scabbard work, nice engraving and inlay, and nice Christian display (I think representing "Jesus Christu" in Latin). Notice the elaborate horn hilt carvings - not seen a talibon like this before. Impressive puppy (woof! ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 02:49 AM   #2
Spunjer

...wondering if it's chiseled ground as well?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Interesting that this one has a full length tang and butt screw. Not typical for Visayan knives and swords which usually have a blind tang construction. Also the angle between the hilt and blade looks odd (not as prominent as usually sen on old talibon); there is no "thumb pad" at the end of the blade; and the handle has a small ferrule. Looks more like a Luzon hilt than Visayan.

I suspect this may have been a custom order piece.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 05:36 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I HAVE SEEN THIS TYPE OF WORKMANSHIP ON A FEW BOLOS FROM LUZON BUT NEVER ON A TALIBON. THE EXPERTLY CARVED HORN HANDLE WITH SILVER AND THE TANG PASSING THRU THE POMMEL ARE COMMON ON THE BOLOS. THE INLAYED BLADES ARE MORE SCARCE BUT I DO HAVE ONE EXAMPLE IT WAS EITHER MADE AS A PRESENTATION PIECE OR CUSTOM ORDER I SUSPECT. I ALSO SUSPECT IT WAS NEWLY MADE AT THE TIME THIS MAN MAY HAVE VISITED THE PHILIPPINES SO IF WE KNEW THAT DATE APPROXIMATELY IT WOULD GIVE US A GENERAL IDEA OF WHEN THIS TYPE OF WORK WAS BEING DONE AND PERHAPS WHERE AS WELL. I THINK WHOEVER MADE THESE WAS PROBABLY THE BEST IN THE AREA AND THAT FEW COULD MAKE EDGED WEAPONS OF THIS QUALITY AT THE TIME SO IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE TO TRACK DOWN WHO MADE IT ALSO.

WISH I HAD THE SWORD INSTEAD OF A LOT OF GUESSES
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Beautiful piece, it is fascinating how the 19th century love of the Gothic revival has crept on to the blade and yet the handle has less European influence. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 06:01 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Nice Souvenir

Very nice work !

BTW ; that guy getting out of Mr. Maff's plane is none other than Jack Dempsey .
http://www.genetunney.com/general4a.jpg
(see middle figure)
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Spunjer

jack dempsey the boxer, or jack dempsey the stamp collector? j/k

another little tidbit: his great grandson is now a mixed martial arts fighter (cage fighter)

i'm with vandoo's theory... i'm kinda wondering about the scabbard; carabao horn perhaps?

Quote:
Interesting that this one has a full length tang and butt screw. Not typical for Visayan knives and swords which usually have a blind tang construction.
ian, yeah, visayan sword with full length tang and a butt screw is not that typical. that said, here's one i've had. notice the chisel side is not too pronounced. another unusual part of this binangon is the disc guard, which i think, is a coin or a medallion, due to the ridges on the edge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 21st January 2006 at 12:54 PM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote