Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Eliza500

Default Karamajong aces from Uganda

Hello. I have come across a few of these axes, with figural bone handles. Does anyone now anything about their history or when they were first made? I have received them from an art teacher in Uganda, who has had very little information on them.

Thanks!

Elizabeth Bennett
Africa Direct
Eliza500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 08:06 PM   #2
katana

Hi Elizabeth,
have you any pictures you could post ?

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Eliza500

Default Karamajong axes-picture

Hello, David. I don't know how to add a picture-will try to figure it out...but in the meantime, you can cut and paste this:

http://www.africatoyou.com/photos/GHB38.jpg

Thanks so much!

Elizabeth
Eliza500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Elizabeth,
While I think that David and Tim have much more expertise in these African weapons than I do, I always welcome the opportunity to do some checking on my own and offer some observations.

Using the link of the axe illustrated, I looked into Ugandan examples in "African Weapons" by Fischer & Zirngibl (#60,61). These have the head characteristically inserted into the haft, and seem to have as usual variations of axe head shapes. In the reference it is suggested that these axes, as well as your example by the illustration, are likely of Acholi tribe or allied subtribes northern Uganda. The examples illustrated in the resource noted both have different head shapes, but these were collected in the first decade of the 20th century.
The head on the axe you have shown seems very much like those on cult axes of the Songe, to the southwest in the Congo.

Like most ethnographic weapons, especially those in Africa, it is very difficult to assess date as there variations within tribal weapon groups often reflect subtle symbolic and artistic expression, especially in ceremonial pieces like this. Given the figures reflected in the haft, I think looking into the art of the Acholi, whose royal lineages are of Nilotic Luo derivation (Lokal, Lokeer or Lobito, ref: "The Middle Age of African History" ed.Roland Oliver, Nairobi, 1967, p.53) might give some clues.

Concerning how long these particular weapons have been produced, this would be even more difficult. Virtually all provenanced examples are those collected by exploration late in the 19th century and into the 20th. In these tribal cultures, though some pieces are revered in tradition and ceremony and these held along with local legend and often folklore, most weapons used have not survived from early times. We do know that the Luo culture in Ugandan regions derived from Nilotic incursions beginning about early 16th century if I understand correctly, so possibly looking into that aspect might prove useful.

Just my observations and hope of some help.

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 18th October 2008 at 12:47 AM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 01:08 AM   #5
Bill M

Hello Eliza,

Glad you made it here. I think that you will enjoy the Forum.

Here is the picture you wanted to post.

I did a little color correction.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 05:58 AM   #6
trenchwarfare

Elizabeth. This post will probably confuse you even more. I recently sold one of these, that was an ebay purchase. Seller said that her husband had bought it on their honeymoon, in a souvenir shop, in the Caribbean. Belize, I think. M.P.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 06:07 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A battle axe?.....on a honeymoon?.....in the Caribbean? Way weird!!!
Although on a similar note, on a sort of honeymoon trip with my (ex) wife I did buy a rusty old cannonball Uh....she was NOT thrilled, especially trying to get through airport security.

These kind of axes we know are rather commercially produced as African art is an extremely popular form, with huge expensive magazines and books dedicated to advertising galleries all over. The inserted axe head, and brass or copper wound bindings are also more common with all this publicity, so a hands on examination is almost essential to determine authenticity. Even then, as we know, the experts too can be fooled if the item is intended to be represented as an antique. Knowledge and experience are key, and here we are simply trying to guage possibilities geo-tribally for the form.

Its good to see you posting here Trench! Welcome!!! and thank you for the very interesting note.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 18th October 2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Elizabeth, although I cannot see the whole item I suspect this is a recent made for "art"????? trade object. Stained maybe even smoked, weak patchy patination. Rather like this so called Lube axe I was very recently daft enough to waste £75 on ouch, from an ebay seller beware those with too much of the same stuff!!! Never too wise to balls up i tell myself that obects in a certain light are easy to be fooled by but I really should have known better .
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 05:31 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Elizabeth, although I cannot see the whole item I suspect this is a recent made for "art"????? trade object. Stained maybe even smoked, weak patchy patination. Rather like this so called Lube axe I was very recently daft enough to waste £75 on ouch, from an ebay seller beware those with too much of the same stuff!!! Never too wise to balls up i tell myself that obects in a certain light are easy to be fooled by but I really should have known better .
No worries Tim...we all make misteakes!!
Thanks for coming in on this ,
All the best,
Jim