Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th July 2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Neil

Default Dagger id question

I recently acquired this dagger as part of a group knives. This one in particular is outside my field of study so I am at a loss for what it is exactly. The dagger is 17" long total, with a horn grip. As seen in the pictures one side of the blade has a central ridge while the other side is flat. I would really appreciate some help with the who, what, when, and where of this piece. Thanks in advance for any insights.
Attached Images

Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Looks like a WW1 trench knife. This is now in another members collection.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=dirk
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Henk

Looks Philipine to me. I think the more knowledgeable members in this field wil jump in.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Rich

Or possibly a variation on the Chinese "bowie" and dirks??

Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Neil

Thank you guys for your input so far. Interestingly enough it did come with a small group of old Chinese knives. Chinese weapons are what I am most interested in. Although from my experience this piece does not seem fit in that category. I could be wrong though.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:56 PM   #6
katana

The hilt does seem to be Chinese 'styled' ....the blade, perhaps, a recycled bayonet

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 11:24 PM   #7
trenchwarfare

The blade does appear to be that of a socket bayonet. Hard to pinpoint a time and place. I've seen this style dagger from the American Revolution, War of Northern Aggression, WWI, and WWII.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Atlantia

Looks like a strange Chinese fighting knife to me.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 11:42 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

HERE ARE TWO KNIVES I HAVE WITH THIS THREE SIDED BLADE CONFIGURATION. FLAT ON ONE SIDE AND WITH TWO SIDES MEETING IN THE MIDDLE FORMING A THICK CENTER RIDGE. THE LARGE OLDER ONE IS DEFINITELY CHINESE THE SMALLER I AM NOT SURE OF. I SUSPECT THIS IS AN OLD CHINESE FORM THAT MAY HAVE BEEN SPREAD BY CHINESE MERCHANTS AS THEY TRADED MOST EVERYWHERE. PERHAPS SOMEONE WILL HAVE A CHINESE NAME FOR THIS FORM OF BLADE. AS FAR AS I KNOW IT IS NOT A COMMON FORM.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 01:16 AM   #10
DaveA

Default One half of a double knife set - China river pirate

The pictures below are of my double knife, a "river pirate" weapon that is a variant of the hudiedao.

I believe your dagger is one knife in a matched pair of hudiedao.

River piracy along the Yangtze River was rampant in the 19th century. Pirates battled the military for nearly a century. These swords without guards can be instantly reversed in the hand and used with the back edge to subdue an opponent without lethal cuts. The lack of a hand guard distinguishes the ‘river pirate” type from other hudiedao. The hudiedao were widespread by the 1860’s and their design is thought to be derived from maritime boarding knives. The overall length of each of my knives is 14 ¼ inches and each blade is 10 ¼ inches.
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Neil,

I too would suggest Chinese in origin.

DaveA,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
The pictures below are of my double knife, a "river pirate" weapon that is a variant of the hudiedao.
The lack of a hand guard distinguishes the ‘river pirate” type from other hudiedao. The hudiedao were widespread by the 1860’s and their design is thought to be derived from maritime boarding knives.
I am curious to know more about the "River Pirate" attribution and were specific supporting information can be found.
I'd be very surprised if piracy had any standard of weapon for such a general attribution when considering guardless varieties known share similar grips to the guarded type suggestion to me the factory making these weapons made many varients including curved varieties with raised yelman and brass tonkou.

Thanks

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 04:19 AM   #12
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Neil,

I too would suggest Chinese in origin.
Gavin,
What aspects in particular give you the impression that it is Chinese
Thanks,
Neil
Old 21st July 2012, 05:34 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Gavin,
What aspects in particular give you the impression that it is Chinese
Thanks,
Neil
Such a weapons is hard pressed to find a conclusive answer.
The first aspect for me would be the thick bronze guard.
The hilt looked curved or at least on an angle that swayed me to the Philippines with Henk indicated and the faceted hilt shape also reminds me of some weapons found in the region but I again come back to the guard and that I have had two (and seen other) Chinese knives with simple thick guards and European like blades.
Both I had were modified bayonets, one being of this form like yours but with a cylindrical all brass hilt of slightly differing form, the other I see Nathaniel has picked up....although showing rather standard fittings does have a modified single edged bayonet blade.
Recycled goods are seen often in Chinese weapons of the working class and I am sure other regions but for me, I run with China.

Other images of the butt and tang might offer more clues too.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 21st July 2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Spelin, um speling...um spelling!
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 07:14 AM   #15
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Neil, and may I add that this is a very interesting dagger you have found. Like Gav, I would very much like to see more images of the butt and tang of this piece to help in its identification. Now for the blade itself, I do not believe that it was ever part of any bayonet but instead is a common style from both the Philippines as well Spain and other areas that were once under Spanish rule. The faceted hilt is also very Philippine in style while the guard is more Chinese in appearance. This piece could very well be a Chinese/Philippine influenced design and possibly from Luzon. Like I stated earlier, more pictures of the end of the hilt would help in identifying it place of origin.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Neil

I really appreciate everyone's insightful comments. I will definitely post more pictures as requested.

At this point I am feeling the Philippine suggestions make the most sense to me. I know I have seen this blade form before, and when Robert mentioned Spanish influence it rung a bell as I look at the piece as a whole. I really see no Chinese commonalities that I am familiar with aside from the association of the group of knives it came in. I believe the former owner was a knife collector so it could have snuck in there under the radar. Of course that is just my opinion.
Old 21st July 2012, 10:04 PM   #17
Neil

Here are the additional pictures.
Attached Images

Old 21st July 2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Good thought Robert, I can easily see how it could be a hybrid of a ethnically Chinese smith in the Philipines with the Spanish/ Philipino influence. The Chinese traded and settled all over Asia.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 11:23 PM   #19
Sajen

By searching in old threads I stumbled over this thread. I think that the dagger in question is a Tres Kantos dagger from Luzon.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote