Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:00 PM   #1
shayde78

Default Poor condition Kindjal

I'd like to get your comments on the Kindjal pictured below. This was part of a lot that I recently won. The condition of the items is not great (you may have seen the 'soussan patah-like' tulwar and the kukri in earlier posts).

Anyway, here we have what I believe is best termed a Kindjal. Its condition suggests some legitimate age, but per feedback on the kurkri thread, poor storage conditions can make an item achieve the look of a relic in an accelerated timeline. The lack of adornment and the rivets appearing to have hand forged heads suggests something from the early 20th century, and something intended for use, rather than mere decoration. The wood is deteriorated - from age or poor storage conditions? Of course, I'm been victim to wishful thinking of late, so I am willing to concede this was made last spring, and aged quickly due to the pandemic, as I know I have!

Specs:
Overall length - 21.4"
Blade length - 16.5"
Blade width - 2 7/16" (just in front of hilt)
Blade thickness - 5mm (tang as visible between handle slabs)
Weight - 13.75 oz

As always, thank you for your comments.
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote