Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st July 2018, 02:26 AM   #1
jagabuwana

Thanks for the tips Alan - I've done as you said and it looked a lot better. Here are some photos prior to my stain attempt with sulfur, salt and rice water - I'll have pictures of that in my next post.

Bjorn - thanks for sharing. Mine too was covered in rust. I think you might be able to get into those crevices with a pick to get the rust out.
Attached Images

jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 02:52 AM   #2
jagabuwana

First time staining attempt:

I made up a paste of
*1tbsp powdered sulphur
*1tsp salt
*Rice water

I brushed it onto the blade after cleaning and drying, and covered it in cling/saran wrap.

I checked on it this morning and it looked like black squid ink and rust in there. I got worried so I rinsed all the sulfur off and gave it a scrub with detergent.

I have a feeling that had I left it in there it would have turned very black. This is what it has looked like after roughly 20 hours.

Based on the above, what should I be doing anything differently or should I have stayed the course?
Attached Images

Old 1st July 2018, 06:26 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

For that stain medium, I would be inclined to leave the stain at this point:- it is black, it is white, you can see the pamor; good enough.

Make sure all the sulphur and salt is off, WD40, dry, oil.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 10:13 AM   #4
jagabuwana

Yeah you're right Alan, I'll do that. Though a part of me wants to re-do it with a paste with far less sulfur, and apply it more conservatively to see if the result would be more even. Then again I'm also afraid of overdoing the cleaning in a short space of time.

Also I think in my excitement I forgot that sulphur is no replacement for warangan, and expected something much more striking. It was a good learning experience though.

Anyway, I think I'll put this one down for awhile Thank you everyone, particularly Alan, for the guidance and input.