Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd March 2024, 04:04 PM   #1
RobT

Default Unknown Club

Hi All,

I have had this wooden club for some time now but have never seen anything like it. Although rather plain Jane, the wood is heavy and hard. My thumb nails which, if sharpened, could serve as weapons, can’t dent it, so I don’t think it’s a tourist piece. It is about 22.75” (57.785cm ) long and 3.875” (9.8425cm) at the widest point (tip). Does anybody know where it is from?

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2024, 04:08 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Looks like a Solomon Island piece. Probably collected ww2.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2024, 05:41 PM   #3
Sajen

The patination looks good so I doubt that it's a tourist piece.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2024, 08:51 PM   #4
RAMBA

I think it is South American

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21882
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2024, 05:44 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

I have clubs from the Solomons and South America that have elements to the form of this example. So bit of a tough one. Also one might have to consider the New Hebrides which I now think may be origin.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 12:52 AM   #6
RobT

Default Maybe Not A War Club

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. I agree with Tim Simmons’ comment about the club having elements found on both Solomon Island and South American clubs. The problem is that, considered in its entirety, the club doesn’t conform to anything traditional that I have seen from the pacific, Australia, or South America (or North America for that matter). I also agree with Sajen that the degree of patina argues against the piece being a tourist item and would add that the use of such hard wood plus the careful smoothing of the grip (as contrasted with the tool marked blade) also indicates that the club was intended for use. Given the lack of ornamentation, it is possible that the club was made during WW II for someone who was unwilling to risk a traditionally made family heirloom in battle but needed a weapon in a hurry and so would accept a relatively crudely worked item without any socio-cultural decoration. It is also possible however, that this isn’t a battle weapon at all but rather something like a large fish club or a seal club. That would explain the lack of ornament, rough fashioning, and why the shape doesn’t conform to any of the various war clubs.

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 9th March 2024, 07:55 PM   #7
kronckew

Looks like a roughly finished (in a hurry?) malaita, typical wings on the far end.

Mine:
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2024, 12:58 AM   #8
RobT

Default No Complete Match

kronckew,

Your post neatly sums up the two problems I have with my club. Problem one for me is that, although my club has elements in common with clubs from both South America and various Pacific Islands, it isn’t an overall match for any particular type, For example, the “wings” on your club taper toward the tip but on mine the taper is toward the hilt. My club is far more bulky than is yours and the wood used appears to be very different in terms of color. Your mention of my club’s rough finish speaks to my second problem. War clubs are prestige items and, if not ornately decorated, are at least well finished (as is your club). While it obviously has been designed to be a very effective blunt force weapon, the finish on my club is commensurate with a workman’s tool not a war club. That may be why we can’t find a good match for my club. Examples of war weapons are commonplace but examples of work tools are usually found tucked away in an anthropologist’s monograph or some other obscure document.

Sincerely,
RobT