Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2016, 12:05 PM   #1
russel

Default Lulu Celiko (or something else?)

I recently won this small Sumatran knife on eBay. At first I thought it may have been a Lopah Petawaran but it lacks the parallel back and edge which seem typical of these.

The blade form seems very similar to the Lulu Celiko in Van Zonneveld (p. 84), although the handle curves in the opposite direction to the one illustrated. I have not been able to find any other images of this type of knife, which Van Zonneveld suggests were part of wedding ceremonies.

The scabbard seems VERY similar to that of a Rencong (perhaps it is not original to the knife).

The seller suggests that the handle is copper. I do not have the knife in hand so I am uncertain. If I am VERY lucky it may be Suassa.

There is a faint inscription on the scabbard (ZY50 1911) which may be a museum number and collection date.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the identification of this knife, it would also be great to see other examples.

Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 12:37 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Russel,

would agree, it seems to be a luju celiko. Why the handle curves to the wrong side I don't know, it's the normal curve a lopah petawaran show and it seems that this both types of knife are related. Wish you good luck that the handle is from suassa. Great and nice catch!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 04:43 PM   #3
Ferguson

I thought it was a Rencong, because of the direction and 90 degree curve of the handle. But I could find no pictures of Rencong with that type of handle. Looking forward to finding out more. I put in a very small bid, as I wasn't sure what it was. Glad another forum member won it!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Sajen

Here the picture shown in in Van Zonneveld (p. 84), it's an old drawing, maybe the artist has done a mistake by the direction the handle show!? I assume Albert has taken this picture from a second source. Would be more as interesting to see other examples.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 06:07 PM   #5
kai

Thumbs up

Congrats, Russel, nice scoop!

IMHO, it is a luju celiko, indeed. I have one with a hilt in the same direction (pic to follow); AFAIK, Albert's account is based on a single source (Kreemer).

I'm ready to bet your's also suassa...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 01:42 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I took a look at the pictures off eBay and, though hard to tell from the bad pictures, it does look like suassa to me. However, it would be best to get it tested by a jeweler to make sure.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 02:14 AM   #7
kai

Here is my example; the scabbard is probably a later replacement. I haven't seen any rencong-style scabbard before - your's looks quite convincing though.

As with Lopah Petawaran, these seem to be ceremonial blades only. Both types are probably based in (Karo?) Batak and possibly old Gayo cultures; probably the concept dispersed northwards upon increased contacts between Gayo and Alas with Aceh: the rencong is related, of course.

BTW, the drawing is from Volz (usually reliable despite the sketches being a bit coarse): this example has 2 "crowns" (probably an integral bolster and another similar ring) at the base of the hilt as also found on some Lopah Petawaran and clearly a saruek ulat as found on some Gayo and a few Aceh status pieces; the scabbard might be Karo.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote