Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th January 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Hazardous materials-please read

I hope everyone will please forgive the somewhat deceptive headline, but as we know from Journalism 101, that is the sometimes the hook that brings people to read a certain item. For example, the thread containing forum rules is clearly an unintriguing title, and it has become quite apparant that its content is entirely unknown, or complacently overlooked at an alarming rate.

I wanted to just note that personally I have very much enjoyed the priviledge of membership in our forums, and the friendships and fantastic learning experiences shared here in our common interests in arms and armour.
I think the key word here is 'priviledge', and that we are fortunate to have these forums for open and friendly discussions on our favorite subjects on arms as well as working together to advance our knowledge on these.

One of the leading threats to this harmony is that of abuse of our discussion forums with regard to commercial activity, and I would implore everyone to take a moment to glance at the thread containing rules......particularly #1 and #3...discussion of items currently in the process of being offered for sale, especially active auctions, is strictly prohibited.

Obviously, in the world of collecting arms, it becomes necessary to also sell items and we are all aware of that. Many collectors actually advance to a professionally commercial level in which they become formal dealers. It is important to understand that the rules concerning items for sale within the discussion forums is that there is potential for legal problems with open comments toward the items, and those issues threaten the general well being of these forums we enjoy as a privilege.
The swap forums are provided as a courtesy, and most will note that the option for commentary is notably excluded.
We do encourage those collectors wishing to sell, or buy items to use these, and of course invite members who are in fact commercial level dealers to place notices there as well, in all instances of course abiding by provisions established.

It seems there are quite a few instances where individuals are using our services to discuss and promote items bound for ebay, which is also a problem. In these cases, I would encourage those members to rethink posting these items without consulting privately with intentions clearly stated.
I think most will find that being straightforward in these matters is not only courteous, but most of us here are glad to help when afforded that courtesy.

My main concern here is that oversight and deliberate abuse of priviledges often has the unfortunate result of consequences. For those who think that these things will go unnoticed, please be aware, while the arms collecting world is global...it is a small world, and many are watching constantly. I value each and everyone here not only as members and staff, but as friends and colleagues. I do not want any of us to be placed in compromising positions by either inadvertant or complacent actions, nor especially deliberate disregard for rules intended to protect all of us.

Lets keep this place the friendly and fun place to learn about arms, and keep the commercial stuff in the places provided for it OK

Thanks for listening guys!!!

As always,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I agree wholeheartedly with Jim! Though I no doubt do not understand the full potential for problems both legal and otherwise that can occur. I am sure those more knowlegable are stearing us in the right direction and Jim would not have made this post if it were not necessary because of a current problem. Moderators never ban people from the forum willingly when it does occur it is for good reasons ,which are stated in our rules of membership.
Lest we forget these forums are not free but provided to us free by those who love weapon collecting enough to want to spend the cash and do the work to preserve the knowlege that has been largely lost in the past when those who passed from this life took it with them. Few of the many collectors wrote books containing their knowlege of things in their collections or the storys of how they got them or the storys that came with them. What a great loss!
The forums are a source for future refrence where even such as I may put in my two cents worth and that little bit added to lots of others will eventually add up to a valuable treasure. So use this refrence even if you are looking for information prior to selling something, use the swap forum to sell or trade for free "something you will not find at ebay". But the rules are no advertizements (things currently for sale) in the regular open forums!! give us a break there are too many advertizements in our lifes as it is and there is no place for them in a refrence base. NOTE I didn't use all caps as usual as I didn't want to appear angry.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

THANK YOU VANDOO! and I used caps not to be yelling, but delightedly responding to your comments, exactly the kind of reaction I hoped for. I want us to unify in our efforts to maintain the well set standards we have all worked to establish, and I dont want the distasteful circumstances of disciplinary action to cause the loss of any members. I choose to believe the best in everyone and that unfortunate oversight is the basis for instances of infraction at hand...this is why I want everybody to take a look at the rules, and pay attention!
The moderators here are volunteers who work very hard at trying to keep things in line, and do not relish being forced into taking action against those who choose to ignore rules....like us, they would very much like to just focus on the pursuit of enjoying our hobby and discussions.

This is a place we all enjoy through the generosity of the owner, Lee Jones, and the administrative hard work of the staff. I just think we should all remember to show our appreciation by compliance with these relatively simple rules.

Thank you Barry for your support!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Henk

Gentlemen,

I want to underscribe this also with full agreement. This place became a complete library with references for our hobby. A dictionary no one can afford. Lets keep it that way!
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 05:32 AM   #5
kahnjar1

To Jim and others who have responded here, a big thank you, and full agreement re the immeasurable value of this Forum. As one who DID err once and was banned for the prescribed period, I can definately say that it will not happen again! Not to be able to partake in the business of this Forum is certainly not a pleasant situation in my opinion. Rules are there for a good reason, and with the international nature of this Forum, laws will obviously be addressed more seriously in some countries than in others.
Keep up the good work Jim
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Andrew

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote