Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th June 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Putting together a museum exhibit linking Java keris to Philippine kris

A few months ago we had a visit from a patron and a museum curator. They were particularly impressed by the Javanese keris and the Philippine kris and asked us to put together an exhibit that will open August 15.

This has opened a fun, but challenging venue for Anne and myself. It has also made us realize that we are collecting in an area that the general public does not have a clue! FI, they got the idea that the Javanese were a "tribe" in the southern Philippines!

We realized that we need more information, maps. Where are the Philippines? Where is Java? Both in a world view and also in relationship to each other? What is the link(s) that places wavy bladed knives in both cultures?

We think we know a lot about our collections until we try to explain to interested, intelligent people who are ignorant of these cultures, but want to bring something of the beauty of these pieces of armor, spears, swords, shields, etc to the attention of the General Public. Who want to educate people about these cultures.

So we are asking your help. Opinions? How would you simply explain the basics? What would you say and how would you say it? Please realize that we are asking several questions.

A name for the exhibit? Thinking of calling it something like:
"The Elegance of Malice:" (subtitled) "From the talismans of Java to the Freedom Fighters of the Southern Philippines." (Anne's title)

This is quite and exercise in consciousness and can be a lot of fun. Very educational for us! Maybe get you to thinking about your collection and how much we take for granted that the average person knows about our objects.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 01:36 PM   #2
tom hyle

Great! First off vis kris (I do not recognize any difference between the words keris and kris nor the swords, except as an internal variation of great complexity of which region is only one factor) waviness is a minor issue, relatively uncommon, and certainly not definitive. A kris is usually defined by its flared guard (gonjo ganga etc.) being a seperate piece from the blade, and with the purpose of containing the majic (of which cutting is only one aspect) in the blade for both safety reasons and to keep it enslaved/domesticated/whatever you want to call it; under control and use.
Technically kris-like swords without a seperate ganga are "iras ganga" "without ganga" and are not kris per se.
Kris per se is a very holy and magical weapon. It can only be used or carried by certain persons for certain purposes, etc. Kris-like weapons (tempius, matulis, parang this-n-that, gunong, etc.) exist throughout its range, which can be used by anyone for any purpose but handle like a kris, with its cut-n-thrust capability and its lovely forward curve.
Kris sundang ("Moro" kris) is not so different, though it is one of the largest types; there as sooooooo many types of kris.

Last edited by tom hyle; 26th June 2010 at 05:04 AM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 01:42 PM   #3
tom hyle

There is a penninsular Malay form of kris sundang (Moros are a Malay group; most Malays, whether in the state of Malaysia, Philipines, Indonesia, etc. are moslems, or to say in Spainish "Moros" ie Mooroccans )
To the South there is a long kris called kris panjang (long kris; kris sundang may translate "warsword kris") which is often, probably falsely or exaggeratedly, associated with execution of Death sentences.
One rare type of Moro kris has a single edged often swell-tipped kampilanlike blade.
Where is Justin?
Old 25th June 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
tom hyle

Most kris have a round- or oval-section tang, sometimes twisted. Such tang is generally viewed as speciallized for thrusting. In this regard, and well as the flared base so good for parries kris resembles the European "smallsword"
Kris sundang has a more robust (usually) rectangular-section tang, like an oceanic SE Asian cutting sword. Occasionally more modern ones (mid 20th+) have a nail-like tang a-la dha or tulwar. This seems a new and foreign influence.
Kris tangs are wedge-shaped.
Kris are meant to be removeable from their handles and other "dress" like Japanese swords are (The myth of Japanese isolation and uniqueness is highly overblown)

Last edited by tom hyle; 25th June 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 25th June 2010, 01:52 PM   #5
tom hyle

Moro swords (including bangkungs sometimes for instance) are sometimes bound to their handles by metal or fiber bindings that cross hooks or holes in the blade. These bindings are called asang or baca, and have long tangs themselves that are bound between the handle surface and its wrapping.
On kris sundang these are said to be to secure the ganga to the blade rather than the blade to the hilt. This does not seem correct to me though. Why the tangs? What about when they're on bangkungs? (bangkungs have no seperate ganga) other kris do not AFAIK have bacas/asangs. It is not a kris feature IMHO, but a Mindinao feature.

Last edited by tom hyle; 26th June 2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 25th June 2010, 01:54 PM   #6
tom hyle

It is traditional with collectors in USA to speak as if the pommel on kris sundang were seperate from (and more interesting than) the handle. Usually if not always they are actually one piece of wood (etc.).
Old 25th June 2010, 01:56 PM   #7
tom hyle

In addition to the iron ganga many kris (non-sundang) have a second, nonferous, round, drawn-on bolster that sits around the tang above the blade, below the handle (swords are spoken of in the "West" traditionally as if being worn; the point is the bottom; the pommel is the top) This ring is often jewelled and AFAIK its purpose is jewelry.
Old 25th June 2010, 01:58 PM   #8
tom hyle

kris may be held by pinching the blade, and many have grooves for the fingers to engage. The kris becomes your finger, so to speak.
Old 25th June 2010, 02:00 PM   #9
tom hyle

Please don't use the word malice. Death and War are mighty fine Gods. They are not about malice.
Old 25th June 2010, 02:02 PM   #10
tom hyle

Is this the right forum? I think so, but can this thread by on the kris forum, too?
Old 25th June 2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Bill M

Great response and good info, Tom. Let's "dumb it down" a bit for the average person. Right now they are not asking, for example, the difference in a Sulu Kris and one from Mindanao. But there are basic questions.....

Granted, a kris has a asymmetrical ganja. I have also heard it is a "cork in the bottle" to hold the Djinn/Spirit in the blade.

But, why does it look like that? Why Asymmetrical? Someone went to a LOT of work to make the ganja look like that. Why? What is the ritual where the Djinn is "invited" into the blade? How is the kris venerated? Ceremonies? Specifics? I know a little about the yearly ceremonies for Javanese (during Ramadan, would like some pictures BTW), but what about the PI Kris?

I know the answers to some of these, but I certainly have gaps (often LARGE gaps).

How did a person get qualified to be a kris holder?

When did a person decide to carry a kampilan instead of a kris? A Barong? Were barongs more regional, like Sulu, or were they carried (concealed) by a person who wanted to get in close to an enemy?

Were panabas weapons of choice for any group, or just an agricultural device that graduated to a "mop up" weapon after a battle to kill the wounded without accidentally hitting the ground with a better blade? And enforce Sharia law?

I am having a great time with this! Learning a flow, a big picture! Thanks again!
Old 25th June 2010, 02:09 PM   #12
tom hyle

I'm a big-picture, flowing, sword-loving guy, but the Moro students and the "keris" crowd will probably, hopefully fill in a lot of details......
Old 25th June 2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
Please don't use the word malice. Death and War are mighty fine Gods. They are not about malice.

The Curator and Executive Director like the title, but it is my decision. What would you suggest as a better overall title. I like "Elegance" but am very open.

BTW I am certainly fine with the Mods moving this thread to the Keris Forum, but this is really about much more than the kris. They are also interested in the people (PI and Java), other weapons, daily life, religion and talismans.

Most of this I see centered in a time period from about 1400-1500 until 1925-50, though I do like the picture of the keris guy on the scooter.
Old 25th June 2010, 02:28 PM   #14
tom hyle

"Ellegance of Death?"
Old 25th June 2010, 02:31 PM   #15
tom hyle

A bit of a pain for you, perhaps, but IMHO it should be a two-forum thread, and the keris forum would hook you up major detailed info, explanatory pictures, etc. It's not just for keris, but other tosan aji, et.
Old 25th June 2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Bill,

I'd suggest that what we are talking about here is a diaspora of the keris from its place of origin (Java) through travel and trade to the Philippines .

(see the Thai Kreis thread in the Warung)

It seems pretty likely the keris came to the Philippines with the Malays .

I'd suggest that questions about the keris be asked in the Warung and queries about the Moro kris be posted here (ethno) along with any conclusions drawn from the results of the information from both forums .

Some questions to explore might be the importance of pamor patterns in Moro krisses, and an exploration of the esoteric importance of the Moro version vs the Javanese or Malay .

Here, I think, you may run into trouble with info from the Philippine side .
The Moro people were not much interested in the act of surrender .

Sadly much of this knowledge may have died with the men who were defending their faith and their lands in the 19th and early 20th centuries .

Last edited by Rick; 26th June 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 12:18 AM   #17
tom hyle

place of alleged origin (Java) This is a much-debated point, some even pointing to India for the origin of the kris.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:20 AM   #18
tom hyle

I reiterate kris and keris are not truly two seperate forms. Kris sundang is a type of k[e]ris. In Standard Indonesian "keris" is pronounced "kris".
Old 26th June 2010, 12:24 AM   #19
tom hyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

Here, I think, you may run into trouble with info from the Philippine side .
The Moro people were not much interested in the act of surrender . .
What do you mean "were"?
Old 26th June 2010, 01:29 AM   #20
kahnjar1

Quote:
place of alleged origin (Java) This is a much-debated point, some even pointing to India for the origin of the kris.
My two cents worth regarding origins.....Malaysia may not be the origin but the Kris figures prominantly on their National Coat of Arms, and also is used as a prominent part of the logo of Tourism Melaka, so one could assume that the Malays have some claim??
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 02:35 AM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Please .
Prove otherwise .
Old 26th June 2010, 02:37 AM   #22
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
I reiterate kris and keris are not truly two seperate forms. Kris sundang is a type of k[e]ris. In Standard Indonesian "keris" is pronounced "kris".
We use this different spelling to make it clear which species of weapon form we are discussing, Tom .
Old 26th June 2010, 02:43 AM   #23
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
What do you mean "were"?
Bud Dajo, Bud Bagsak, etc. .
Numerous other Cottas that were wiped out to the man woman and child ?
Warrior class Men, their Wives and Children ?
The people who carried these traditions ?

Mostly gone .

We digress ...
Old 26th June 2010, 04:37 AM   #24
tom hyle

Quote:
Please .
Prove otherwise .
I don't have any need to prove otherwise; I merely point out it is a far from settled matter. A simple search of these forums will show that to anyone. So you please; don't present your favored position as a settled matter.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:41 AM   #25
tom hyle

Quote:
We use this different spelling to make it clear which species of weapon form we are discussing, Tom .
And instead you thus make it obscure and confusing, creating a division that is largely invalid and that the natives of the region do not recognize. Indnesian and Malay books on kris tend to give kris sundang as a variant form like any other, for instance.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:42 AM   #26
tom hyle

Quote:
Bud Dajo, Bud Bagsak, etc. .
Numerous other Cottas that were wiped out to the man woman and child ?
Warrior class Men, their Wives and Children ?
The people who carried these traditions ?

Mostly gone .

We digress ...
You digress; I merely reply. Their descendants ain't started laying down yet, is my point.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:32 PM   #27
Bill M

In this exhibition we are looking for links from Javanese (and Balinese) keris to PI kris.

I began studying the Javanese / Balinese keris a few years ago. I found an object of exquisite beauty and craftsmanship. I was (and still am) attracted to the spiritual nature. The blade and particularly the tang are relatively weak as a fighting piece.

It seemed much more a talisman and spiritual weapon than a battle piece.

I found it difficult to study the spiritual/religious nature of the keris. I learned, from a great teacher, about the construction, the metallurgy even the numerology, but an in depth understanding of the religious nature continues to elude me.

The Javanese keris continues to be the core of my Indonesian collection, followed by Balinese and then other areas.

A good friend Great grandfather was an American General in the PI in the late 1800s/early 190ss. In going though his effects they found three "blades" that turned out to be the genesis of my PI collection. A dagger, a kampilan and a kris (dual fuller twist core).

Here I found a massive spiritual blade that was also a combat weapon.

So we are thinking about showing the keris as having originally coming from India. There seems to be evidence to support this. Developing in Java and expanding to the other Indonesian islands -- as a talisman more than a fighting weapon. And being the genesis of the south Philippines kris and a principle weapon of these freedom fighters.

I am trying to make this as authentic as possible, but realize there is a lot of conflicting information and ideas with cadres firmly entrenched in their positions/opinions.

This exhibition is in a small museum in south Georgia. We are following an exhibit of cotton growing in the early 1900s. Boll weevils and the beginnings of mechanization. These patrons are our local audience.

The men will probably come to see the swords. The women to see the exhibits and jewel-like Javanese/Balinese keris.

This will not be an in-depth study with pages of information. Some text panels that first show world geography, then the regional geography, then pictures (like Magellan fighting for his life in the surf) and a kampilan in a case nearby.

We are not here to debate if the greneng has dha shaped carving, nor the position of the blumbangan.. Discussions like this are much more appropriate to this erudite forum, and I mean that last remark with great respect.

To me and Anne, this is a chance to refocus and reconnect with our collection of marvelous pieces. Hopefully to jump start our interest back into Indonesia and the Philippines. Our best pieces will not leave our home and vault, but maybe a few museum visitors will get a glimmer of places, people and things they have never seen before.

So from India to Indonesia to the battles of the south Philippines culminating with interviews with two PI Princesses I personally know - one from the lineage of Sultan Kuderat and the other from the lineage of Datu Utto.

I do have much larger museums asking for exhibits and this can also be a springboard for them.

So thank you all again for your help in this great project and lets keep it fun! And isn't it a major reason for being a collector to share your fun with others?
Old 26th June 2010, 12:41 PM   #28
tom hyle

Kris tang is not weak. It is very sufficient to its purpose as a serious and deadly weapon, as in fact, and possibly at an earlier date than in Europe, an expression of what Burton called the Modern Sword; the sword for thrusting, cutting, and parrying. When you use a kris properly to fight no stress accrues across the tang, only along it. All cuts all thrusts all parries distribute the force along the tang when properly done. This is true in proper design and use of most swords worldwide, but kris is reall an epitome.
Not a weapon? What a weapon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26th June 2010, 12:45 PM   #29
tom hyle

Oh, and please don'e ignore the Bugis. The Bugi kris is more like the Bali kris. Balinese are of native religion, not Moslems; their kris, their culture, is IMHO more "true" to the region. Is it more true to teh form? I dunno, but I gotta wonder.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:58 PM   #30
tunggulametung

First of I think thread starter need to decide which area will be covered, the time frame and what weapon to include. From there on that will be more easy to move forward with description, photos, including putting a title to the exhibition.

Maybe you can limit by preparing a questions like:
1. Exclusive to Java & Southern Philippines or more area? (the more area the more work to do)
2. Ancient time to 50 years ago or up to recent time?
3. Exclusive to Javanese & Philippines Keris or to include other weapon? (the more weapon the more to do)
4. .... expand this as required

I also want to suggest that it is better to avoid complex description to present this to the general public. For example no need to name keris parts in the original language, like it is wise calling "metal overseath" rather than "pendok". You can surely prepare a diagram of keris parts to explain it further or even suggest a list of reading (book title) for those who wish to know more.

For keris, I think it is nice to include a map of distribution like one in Jensen's Krisdisk attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for keris and kris it's like football and soccer. I too have a question in mind why the Philippines kris needs to be saperated from their other brother, even to their closest cousin the Malay sundang. The modern area where it's agreed now is merely a colonial product. If it's just to differentiate, we can attribute the suggested origin like Moro kris, Sulu kris, Malay kris, Borneo kris, Javanese kris etc. I believe it's okay to call Kris or Keris according to one preference.
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote