Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th September 2017, 08:53 AM   #1
devvre

Default Shibriya dagger maybe

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread.
My name is Alfonso, I am 24, from Italy. Theatre actor. I'm here to ask someone to help me find some info for this dagger.
My grandma gave it to me saying she received it in Georgia.
Thank you in advance
Attached Images

devvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 07:16 AM   #2
motan

Hi devvre and welcom to the forum. I am sorry to say that what you have there is a modern (1980+) shibriya made in Jordan. The shape, as well as the blade are typical of daggers made around Amman for the souvenier market.
I added a picture of an older and more original shibriya of the same origin just for comparison. Look at the differences in shape and details.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 09:19 AM   #3
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hi devvre and welcom to the forum. I am sorry to say that what you have there is a modern (1980+) shibriya made in Jordan. The shape, as well as the blade are typical of daggers made around Amman for the souvenier market.
I added a picture of an older and more original shibriya of the same origin just for comparison. Look at the differences in shape and details.
Agree with Eytan, his estimation is quite accurate. Though I would add that this shape is directly evolved from another, used by the Sharifs of Mecca and transported there once the Hashemite dynasty became the rulers of Jordan.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 09:33 AM   #4
motan

Hi Lotfy, of course you are right, but do you know any shibriya from Jordan with a normal curved blade (like the one here) that is older? I only know those from the Hijaz and Northern Arabia.
Old 9th September 2017, 05:17 AM   #5
shayde78

Quote:
Motan,

Thank you for posting the example of a traditional shibriya. I have had one in my collection that I always thought was mid-20th century made for local market. Would you (or anyone else) be able to provide comments on the item pictured below?

Much obliged
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 10:57 PM   #6
motan

Hi Shayde78. This is a very typical example of Jordanian shibriya, and you are right, it is made for the local market around mid 20 c. or just a little earlier, which is for this type a good age.
There is no evidence it was made for anything but the local market and members of the Arab Legion carried very similar ones at the time. The coin impression is of king Ghazi of Iraq (see link http://www.chiefacoins.com/Database/...es/Ghazi_I.htm).
In the picture taken in the 1940's you see a soldier with this type of dagger, but it is not a very clear one.
Summarized, a classical Jordanian piece that is not very valuable but authentic, and needs some love (restoration).
Attached Images

Old 9th September 2017, 11:01 PM   #7
motan

P.S., by local market I mean for local use, although the same type of shibriya were made (and are still made) both for local use as for the souvnier trade.
Old 13th September 2017, 06:43 PM   #8
shayde78

Quote:
P.S., by local market I mean for local use, although the same type of shibriya were made (and are still made) both for local use as for the souvnier trade.

Thanks for the additional information. It amazes me that you were able to find that picture. I intend to display it with the piece to show an example in actual use.

Cheers!
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote