Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th October 2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Sentrad

Default Moro armour: A Coat of Mail and Plate

I just want to present to the forum some pics of a coat of mail and plate from my collection. It's from Maranao, Lanao del Sur, Western Mindanao, Philippines, a construction from brass chains and plates of different size out of dark browish buffalo horn, a perfect combination of flexibility and protection. With one exception, the brass rings are not riveted like the iron rings at European hauberks. The horn plates are not as heavy as iron or brass plates, but I have to confess, running around with this hauberk of 9.6 kg in a hot humid climate would be a pretty nice task....Some of the silver plated copper applications are lost.
Dimensions (just lying on the ground, not the coverage): length appr 74 cm (29 in.), width with sleeves appr 67 cm (26 in.), lower width appr. 51 cm (20 in.).
Are there are differences in style or construction between the different islands of the Sulu Sea? In Northern Borneo, Northern Sulawesi and the Northern Moluccas exist Portuguese/Spanish helmets, what about armour?

Questions and comments are highly welcome.

Udo
Attached Images

Sentrad is offline   Reply With Quote