Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Keris Panjang questions

Has anyone ever seen or heard of talismanic markings on Keris Panjang?
Has anyone seen or noted deep short single fullers to these blades?

Thanks in advance

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Has anyone seen or noted deep short single fullers to these blades?
I've seen a couple.. pictures would be nice.. perhaps we can identify them.. or join in the
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 06:08 PM   #3
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Gav
I dont have a photo of this at the moment, but I have seen features on Keris Panjang blades that are deemed to have talismanic purposes... These features are known within the circle of M'sian collectors as "Ketandaan" or "markings".

1 of the most common that I have seen is a combination of what appears to be fine cracks and chipping near the base of the balde at about 3-5 inches away from what would be the Keris Panjang equivalent to the sorsoran area. It runs horizontally across the blade and is usually mistaken as a forging flaw. Howevr, these are deemed to have been deliberately made unto the blade for talismanic reasons.

Namely that of a protective marking. These specific marking is said to be a "Penyekat" a "Ward". It works on the principle of an electrical surge protector if you will. ie when the Keris Panjang is used to effect an execution, the bad vibes emanating from the victims is prevented from reaching & tainting/corrupting the core of the keris... ie the peksi... where the strength of the Keris is deemed to be stored amongst the Malays. These warding mark also prevents the wielder of the Keris from being affected by the bad negative vibes travelling up the blade. The warding mark is thus a means of dissipating the bad vibes.

Not all Keris Panjangs are used for executions though and those used as status symbols may not have these warding marks on the blade. This marking is present in my own Keris Panjang tho...

Hope this helps..
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 03:36 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG
I dont have a photo of this at the moment, but I have seen features on Keris Panjang blades that are deemed to have talismanic purposes... These features are known within the circle of M'sian collectors as "Ketandaan" or "markings".

1 of the most common that I have seen is a combination of what appears to be fine cracks and chipping near the base of the balde at about 3-5 inches away from what would be the Keris Panjang equivalent to the sorsoran area. It runs horizontally across the blade and is usually mistaken as a forging flaw. Howevr, these are deemed to have been deliberately made unto the blade for talismanic reasons.

Namely that of a protective marking. These specific marking is said to be a "Penyekat" a "Ward". It works on the principle of an electrical surge protector if you will. ie when the Keris Panjang is used to effect an execution, the bad vibes emanating from the victims is prevented from reaching & tainting/corrupting the core of the keris... ie the peksi... where the strength of the Keris is deemed to be stored amongst the Malays. These warding mark also prevents the wielder of the Keris from being affected by the bad negative vibes travelling up the blade. The warding mark is thus a means of dissipating the bad vibes.

Not all Keris Panjangs are used for executions though and those used as status symbols may not have these warding marks on the blade. This marking is present in my own Keris Panjang tho...

Hope this helps..
Alam,
I will endevour to get a couple of comparative images published.

BigG,
Fantastic detail, thank you for sharing a wonderful insight in to the world of markings on these pieces.
I am currently comparing these markings on the example I have at hand to an 18th century marking seen on some European courtswords, the anchor symbol. Just exploration at this point as it is only somewhat similar in style.
I am pondering if this piece was actually an old European blade fully reforged around this marking in to its current form, it loosely explains the single short fuller beneath the marking too.
All that I can confirm is that it is I feel a very old example with lots of life still in the blade, having a wonderful smooth patina with fully razor sharp edges that have, unlucky for me, drawn blood completely unexpected and by complete accident...OUCH!!!

Thanks

Gav
Old 31st August 2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default image

A few images in various lighting positions to try to show the marking.

Thanks

Gav
Attached Images

Old 1st September 2010, 06:06 AM   #6
BigG

difficult to make out... may not be an anchor.. havent seen that on keris panjangs... I may be wrong but that may be some kind of Jawi script?
Old 1st September 2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Thank you

Quote:
difficult to make out... may not be an anchor.. havent seen that on keris panjangs... I may be wrong but that may be some kind of Jawi script?

Thanks BigG, I have inverted the colours on one image, not any clear but it may help??

Gav
Attached Images

Old 1st September 2010, 11:41 AM   #8
BigG

sorry... it isnt clear to me.. I cnt make it out... n I have never seen somethn like it before.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Default Hmmm

Quote:
sorry... it isnt clear to me.. I cnt make it out... n I have never seen somethn like it before.
I'll get the hilt removed and clean the blade and see if it makes things any clearer, if not I'll try for a pencil rub over or a drawing. I have forgotten to note that it is on both sides too.

if you view this thread here;
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5453
post number 62 and 71 on page 3 show symbolism similar in style.

Gav