Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th September 2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Odd Wilkinson 'Tewksbury' Abbey/church Society dagger

Picked this up today, rather an unusual offering from Englands most famous sword maker.
Not very old, etched polished blade with Wilkinson stuff and a picture of the Abbey Church. Tewksbury crest, enamelled badge on guard, ivorine grips.
Not my thing so won't be keeping it, thought you might like to see it before it's off on its next adventure.
Anyone know anything about it?

Last edited by Atlantia; 20th September 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi Gene,
Used to see a lot of these Wilkinson 'commemorative' type dirks/daggers on E-Bay. It seemed that just about anything from 'best salesman' to your 'granny's birthday' was celebrated in 'cold steel' by ordering an etched blade from Wilkinson. The steel is bound to be reasonably ok so either a paper knife or a good project for practising your hilt making and blade sharpening skills or of course as you say wave it goodbye.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Gene,
Used to see a lot of these Wilkinson 'commemorative' type dirks/daggers on E-Bay. It seemed that just about anything from 'best salesman' to your 'granny's birthday' was celebrated in 'cold steel' by ordering an etched blade from Wilkinson. The steel is bound to be reasonably ok so either a paper knife or a good project for practising your hilt making and blade sharpening skills or of course as you say wave it goodbye.
My Regards,
Norman.

Hello mate,
Yeah, ebay will almost certainly be its next stop!
I've seen some weird Wilkinson 'commemorative' stuff, but this struck me as unusual because of the ecclesiastical theme and the 'masonic' style.
Ever seen one of this type before?
Regards
gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 23rd September 2009 at 12:32 AM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Norman McCormick

Hi Gene,
Am pretty sure I've seen the basic design before but not the church connection. Maybe it was commissioned as a 'leaving gift' for somebody closely associated with the church or to mark somesuch occasion. Probably get a few quid on E-Bay, hope it does.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote