Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd July 2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Hotspur

Default 2009 Settlers Day Manville Rhode Island 9/26-9/27

I'd like to offer an open invitation to this forum and others.

This will be the seventh year I have joined this ad hoc sword party and public exhibition/event. This year is hopefully a little drier. We had about two+ inches of rain that Saturday but some of use still showed up for both days. With better weather hoped for, the internal circle of interest looks like it will be a great year. More and more 18th and 19th century swords are joining in with a mix of now even Albions filtering in to a fairly diverse assembly of tables.

http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/

There will be militia re-enactors and a Native American Pow-Wow scheduled for the weekend. The rifle range activities continue with hands on use of some pretty interesting guns from black powder to a .50 Barrett. Some of these things, such as a food station are a buy tickets kind of deal but the admission itself to the event free. I think it has been four or five $1 tickets to go bang with the Barrett. Cowboy Action shooters and music are regular attendees. The hope is always for more vendors to participate but they are often busy weekends. This year is a full week after the equinox.

We will always enjoy others stopping by or even spending more time with more stuff if some want to. We had a very nice chat that very wet Saturday in in just talking talking with a well knowledged antique naval collector. We even put a sword in his hand to cut up a mat. This may well be another year that Dennis Boas will check in with the Cashen collection he and his wife have. Those are always a nice treat to see and handle in hand. There is always a thought that some other sword groups will show up but they have not dojoed up, while some occasionally dropping by. There are usually some cutting supplies and that is as yet to be finalized or ordered (afaik). There will be at least one stand there that we have put it to use, even the one year without mats. More stuff brought to cut is cool too.

BYO stuff that will help anyone enjoy a longer visit will be comfortable chairs (but there are plenty of folders we and others can shag from the clubhouse). Refreshment supplements if planning on a longer visit and even camping overnight as long as one contacts the club they are staying over onsite. There are several hotel/motel options, as Lincoln, Woonsocket and Providence are fairly close. The site is about half an hour south of I-90 on rte 146 at the Worcester/Millbury exit. Family friendly and a friend's quite young daughter got a chance to fire a musket. She carried some of dad's swords over from the car while unloading and when I asked if they were her's, the reply was a kind of bored "no, those are my dad's". Both dad and daughter spent most of the day up at the range. There are archery opportunities as well.

These have been a great opportunity to share time and thoughts with other sword minded folk, as well as discuss both the collecting/use and history with the public.

If someone is planning to bring in many pieces, let me know to notify security to let you drive right in to unload. There are shuttles of both a bus and open wagon from the primary parking a few blocks from the club itself (if only bringing a small handful).

I know the club is also likely quite open to other vendors applying to set up "whatever". Any interested in that type of venture needs to check in via email or phone to register with them. Although we are not set up to vend and sell stuff, things do change hands and it is another opportunity to connect with something someone might want.

Some dry and wet pictures below from the past seasons. A wet one for sure last year Saturday morning. One thing I need to pursue the club if it does get really wet again is to let us do the bulk of the tables and activity inside. Plan b wet may be a real chance for success in that setup.

Cheers

GC aka Hotspur

PM and email are also open for more faq and details
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 06:45 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

IT LOOKS LIKE A FUN LITTLE GET TOGETHER EXCEPT FOR THE RAIN PART I COULD ONLY SHOW OFF MY SQUIRT GUN COLLECTION IN THAT.
TOO FAR AFIELD FOR ME, SO YOU ALL HAVE FUN
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote