Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
ferrylaki

Default Tejo Kinurung keris

I Like to share my latest collection with you all.
a straight keris with tejo kinurung pamor. I have a though, this keris has a tuban style. but made later in mataram era. shortly a mataram keris with tuban style. but it all just my humble estimation, based on the 'ganja' shape and the iron material.
any comment and information will be just great.

FERRYLAKi
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 10:44 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Nice keris Ferry.

Would it be possible to provide a photo of the sorsoran, including the ganja, at 90 degrees?

Thanks.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Raden Usman Djogja

congratulation Ferry,

would you please to upload pictures of the tip of your newest collection?

Oes
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 08:54 AM   #4
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Nice keris Ferry.

Would it be possible to provide a photo of the sorsoran, including the ganja, at 90 degrees?

Thanks.
Thank You Alan,
I have a feeling this keris would make a fine axample of iron, wojo, and pamor material. here are some pictures you've requested. with some additions. with 38cm lenght from gonjo to the tip, and 8 cm gonjo.
I hope you'd like to give me every information I need to know about this keris.
I'm very courious about my new collection. my prefious tejo kinurung was a tuban. and this one, I hope its a mataram era keris.
nice to share with you guys...always been.
please enjoy....
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
congratulation Ferry,

would you please to upload pictures of the tip of your newest collection?

Oes
greetings raden, here are the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Ferry, this keris is ideal for a very extended discussion on tangguh, but regretably such a discussion is not really possible from photographs.

In the photos I can see a keris that displays features of Tuban-Mataram, and also of Tuban- Pajajaran.

In the hand I would be prepared to declare for one or the other, but I will not do that from photographs.
Old 9th June 2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Raden Usman Djogja

Ferry, I supports your prediction that this keris is tuban style and was made in newer age (mataram period, perhaps).
congratulation and hope you get more kerises then upload its pictures.
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 03:42 AM   #8
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Ferry, this keris is ideal for a very extended discussion on tangguh, but regretably such a discussion is not really possible from photographs.

In the photos I can see a keris that displays features of Tuban-Mataram, and also of Tuban- Pajajaran.

In the hand I would be prepared to declare for one or the other, but I will not do that from photographs.
I realize that we can't make a further discussion on tangguh. I'm trully understand and honor your idea of discussing about tangguh. by these pictures , I try to get some estimations about the dhapur style, the iron material from the colour of the iron, the pamor material ( whether it too bright, too white, too pure for a nikel pamor, or it already appropiate for its era), the dimention-size/lenght/wide, condong leleh, etc.
tuban-mataram and tuban-pajajaran . I prefer to say that we are not making a conclution aboot its tangguh. but we are trying to determine its style only.
the keris has a tuban style for sure. Let's see again the pictures of tuban style kerises with the same pamor
Attached Images

Old 10th June 2009, 03:47 AM   #9
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Ferry, I supports your prediction that this keris is tuban style and was made in newer age (mataram period, perhaps).
congratulation and hope you get more kerises then upload its pictures.
thank you Usman, I will try to provide more keris pictures for uor discussion.
I'm looking forward for you further opinion regarding my keris.
Old 10th June 2009, 05:01 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Ferry, the limits of photography , most especially photography done by those of us who are not professional photographers, and the images that are viewed on a computer screen are that the colour seen cannot be other than a fair repesentation at best, and something completely different at worst.

Additionally, a very slight difference in angle can alter perception of reality in the published image.

The indicators that we use to classify a keris within the tangguh system rely upon an absolutely accurate rendering of colour and often minute differences in size, colour, texture and angle.

If I am unable to see the true colour of the blade, something that can really only be done in good daylight, and if I cannot feel the texture of the blade, I am not really able to comment upon the nature of the material.

If I cannot alter my angle of viewing the blade, I cannot comment upon such things as the declination of the ganja to the wilah.

If I cannot examine the erosion of weld joints I cannot confirm what an arms length viewing might suggest.

As for dhapur, I rather suspect that you already know that.

I would like to suggest that we can never reach a conclusion in respect of any tangguh. The very nature of the exercise precludes that. It may be possible to come to agreement in respect of an opinion, but even so, the end result must always remain an opinion.

I feel that I have probably contributed as much as I am able to this discussion.
Old 10th June 2009, 06:53 AM   #11
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
...I prefer to say that we are not making a conclution aboot its tangguh. but we are trying to determine its style only.
Dear Ferry,
Tuban style is probably the safest estimation, I agree too. But from which tangguh? That's still questionable.

Your post #8, are the photos of the same blade? The color of the hilt is a bit different. And also the type of hilt, IMHO. Your choice of warangkas, seem to 'move' to Yogya now Ferry?

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 02:40 AM   #12
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Dear Ferry,
Tuban style is probably the safest estimation, I agree too. But from which tangguh? That's still questionable.

Your post #8, are the photos of the same blade? The color of the hilt is a bit different. And also the type of hilt, IMHO. Your choice of warangkas, seem to 'move' to Yogya now Ferry?

GANJAWULUNG
in the last pictures I posted about 2 different kerises. the right keris with naradakandha hilt is my old collection, and the left one is my newest collection ( you can see the detail pictures above). both of them has the same pamor pattern and the same tuban style. My choice of warangkas has not 'move' to jogja yet. these are a trully fortunate coinsident that I found those kerises in jogja gayaman.

Last edited by ferrylaki; 11th June 2009 at 02:51 AM.