Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2008, 04:25 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default BATIK MOTIF -- in pendhok

i don't know whether this experiment is useful or not. My friend has designed a pendhok with "batik" motif, and ordered it to a pendhok maker in Solo (Central Java, Indonesia). And this "batik motif in pendhok", is still the only one. Not yet produced commercially. The name of the motif in traditional Javanese batik, we call it "parang motif". The dark colour in the parang motif in pendhok, is from acrylic paint and then fixed with clear paint...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Montino Bourbon

Default It may not be traditional...

But it's really beautiful!
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
i don't know whether this experiment is useful or not. My friend has designed a pendhok with "batik" motif, and ordered it to a pendhok maker in Solo (Central Java, Indonesia). And this "batik motif in pendhok", is still the only one. Not yet produced commercially. The name of the motif in traditional Javanese batik, we call it "parang motif". The dark colour in the parang motif in pendhok, is from acrylic paint and then fixed with clear paint...

Ganjawulung
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Raden Usman Djogja

Smile

dear Ganja

beautifulllll.... new pendok style: broken machete ornament. Is it already patented? If not yet, someday, I will commission another one with "che guevara sketch" in the centre So it will be called: che guevara broken machete motive. Hm... as long as it isnt expensive

congratulation to you for bravery inovating.

warm salam,
OeS
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 05:53 PM   #5
sukuh

I like it, I like it a lot!!!
sukuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 02:48 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Fascinating!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 03:59 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

This is a beautiful pendok. I think that the art of keris still has room for growth and evolution. I think that this is a very fitting pattern. My only concern would be the use of acrylic paint. I would be worried about how it would wear and age. It might me interesting to do the black part as an enamel.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 08:25 AM   #8
asomotif

Lovely pattern on this new pendok. I like it.

Quote:
It might me interesting to do the black part as an enamel.
Or maybe make this pendok out of silver.
Let the lower parts turn black naturally and polish the upper parts.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 12:59 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
I like this idea even better...
Old 30th June 2008, 05:08 PM   #10
P.Abrera

If the door is open to non-trditional approaches, why not combine two javanese artforms and do it as batik is done with dyes and a wax resist on light wood. Or maybe actual batik fabric "laminated" to the scabard with laquer as the japanese do.
P.Abrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 05:53 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Abrera
If the door is open to non-trditional approaches, why not combine two javanese artforms and do it as batik is done with dyes and a wax resist on light wood. Or maybe actual batik fabric "laminated" to the scabard with laquer as the japanese do.
Hey...easy there...let's not get crazy...
Old 30th June 2008, 08:48 PM   #12
ganjawulung

Dear Montino Bourbon, Marco, Raden Oesman, Sukuh, Battara, Asomotif, P Abrera and of course David, thank you for all your positive comments. I've given your comments to the designer -- he has good "garap" too in finishing keris blades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Is it already patented? If not yet, someday, I will commission another one with "che guevara sketch" in the centre So it will be called: che guevara broken machete motive. Hm... as long as it isnt expensive
Not yet patented. Still experiment. The cost of making is not too expensive, but quite difficult to make such pendhok. (One must chiselling manually one-by-one the motif's details)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I think that this is a very fitting pattern. My only concern would be the use of acrylic paint. I would be worried about how it would wear and age. It might me interesting to do the black part as an enamel.
Ideally, one must use (javanese) traditional material as people usually use in making "kemalo" pendhok or "kemalon" pendhok that are usually red, green, black or brown in colour. Kemalo is not chemical paint, but traditional javanese colour then coated with certain clear "enamel"... But not easy to get "kemalo" formula, -- old formula of javanese traditional painting in the past..

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif
Or maybe make this pendok out of silver.
Of course, silver is better than this copper. Like any other copper thing, it only shines during one or two days, then becomes pale and darker... The lower part of this pendhok is like any other "copper" (not brass) thing, always becomes darker and darker each day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Abrera
If the door is open to non-traditional approaches, why not combine two javanese artforms and do it as batik is done with dyes and a wax resist on light wood. Or maybe actual batik fabric "laminated" to the scabard with laquer as the japanese do.
According to javanese tradition in the past, combining such arts is not new. You may find, some old kraton's (royal) keris sheath in the past -- for instance during the reign of Paku Buwono X in Solo (1893-1939) -- often used combining techniques in beautifying the keris or tombak sheath with ornaments that called "sunggingan". Actually, sunggingan is found in the javanese puppet-wayang making. People draw one by one manually the ornaments on the sheath like they make "wayang sunggingan" on wayang-leather. And the motif of sunggingan, is mixture -- there are some batik motifs too like "modang" (see ilustration in tombak scabbard and keris sheath with sunggingan, modang motif below). Modang is kind of "batik details" or form of ornaments usually used in wayang, and later in keris sheath too...
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 1st July 2008 at 01:11 PM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote