Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 21st May 2012, 10:59 PM   #1
dbhmgb

Default Another eBay Keris

Greetings all,

This auction was pointed out to me by another member of the forum and I figured that, with a low starting price and cheap shipping, it was worth a try. I was the only bidder and I won. I received it today and it's actually, aside from the wrongko, in pretty good shape. The blade is already in pineapple juice to clear up the minor rusting.

Here's the pix:
Attached Images

Last edited by dbhmgb; 22nd May 2012 at 12:59 PM.
dbhmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Hartadi

Congratulation for lucky buyer ! Love that pendokok style
Hartadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
dbhmgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartadi
Congratulation for lucky buyer ! Love that pendokok style
Thank you Hartadi! I think it is a good example of a Bugis keris. It will be interesting to see the blade cleaned and have the members here give me an idea of what the pamor is. The hilt and pendongkok (which, I too, really like) are in very good shape.

As for the sheath, it is very interesting. The size is small compared to my others and shaped differently than my other Bugis sheath. It is a shame it's in such bad shape, which raises another question - what to do about that?

Hartadi - I checked your website and your collection is amazing!

Last edited by dbhmgb; 22nd May 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Jean

A Bugis Riau keris or from another origin? The blade is a little too long as compared to the sheath but the fitting seems original. A bargain for 40 USD anyway, congrats!
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
dbhmgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
A Bugis Riau keris or from another origin? The blade is a little too long as compared to the sheath but the fitting seems original. A bargain for 40 USD anyway, congrats!
Regards
If you could see more clearly in the pictures, it appears that the sheath may have been longer, perhaps there was a separate buntut?
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Gustav

Blade is a fairly typical South Sumatran one, perhaps one still can see strong West Java influences here. I wouldn't call this blade Bugis.

The sheath form also is South/ towards Central Sumatran. It resembles much the old scabbard style, from which possibly both later Javanese and Bugis forms (and Palembang) were derived. Most probably Minangkabau? Not much is really known about South/Central Sumatran forms, and it seems it will for ever stay so. Similar form is possible also in Northern Peninsula Malay regions.

Most probably the only visualy acceptable way to do some restauration would be to reconstruct the missing lower part of Gandar, and then hide the new material with rattan bindings (there probably still are some signs of old bindings). I think, you can find a recipe how to stain rattan (to look it old) here in the forum.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote