Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th June 2023, 01:45 PM   #1
mgolab

Default Ceremonial Hatchet?

Hello Again:

Another one of my axes for any comment:

I wanted to share the attached axe, which is clearly marked “June 1910” and is from the IORM fraternal lodge out of Harrisburg PA at the time. Interesting that, from my research, I have never seen a halberd style axe in this form from a fraternal organization.

When I contacted the organization's museum, I was told that some lodges would acquire older axes and used them, especially when the information on the axe is punched in it, as here versus cast in. I wonder if this is an older piece than 1910 and was acquired.

Looks like someone put nickel plating on it which is peeling off and had a handle on it which was falling off/did not fit right.

This one measures 15 inches overall, 6.5 inches from blade to spike/hook and weighs 14.4 ounces.

Thank you.
Attached Images

mgolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2023, 04:05 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi mgolab,

As this is a ceremonial object rather than a weapon, I'm going to transfer it over to the Miscellaneous Forum for further discussion.

It's an interesting piece. I believe IORM stands for "The Improved Order of Red Men" (est. 1834), which was a successor of the "Society of Red Men" (est. 1813) that claimed links to the Sons of Liberty who dreassed up as Mohawks and dumped British tea in the Boston Harbor in 1773 (also known as the Boston Tea Party).
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2023, 05:08 PM   #3
mgolab

Thank you Ian.

Yes, that is what my research shows concerning the IORM.

So may questions regarding this piece which I have not had time to research:

who was this R. Schaffer? Was he a Civil War veteran? Relative to a revolutionary war veteran? It is an old PA surname.

was this piece a family heirloom by the time of 1910, which R. Schaffer wished use for his award as a "3D Warrior"?

I have looked at over a hundred of these IORM hatchets and did not see one remotely close in form to this piece.

The dimensions, weight and location of the piece seem to support the "theatre" of conflict when halberd hatchets were traded as ceremonial pieces for diplomatic purposes rather than weapons.

I would welcome any additional feedback. Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 09:18 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

I believe the organization may still exist and they have a museum of memorabilia in Waco,Texas. You my be able to find out some more specific info by sending them an email with some photos.

http://redmen.org
info@redmen.org

T.O.T.E. seems be be a motto of some sort, "Totem of the Eagle".
Kind of a crazy and offensive bit of appropriation, this organization, based upon the pre-Revolutionary War act of grand appropriation where our brave patriots dumped tea in Boston Harbour playing dress-up as Mohawk natives. I mean, if you are going to commit revolutionary acts, might as well pin it on the natives. Despite adopting native dress and specific language though, the Improved Order of the Red Man was an Whites only organization until 1974.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2023, 02:08 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

David,

I agree. Some mixed messaging going on in the IORM. Still, an interesting charitable group that had a women's companion organization, the Order of Pocahontas (OP). I guess that was how gender inclusiveness was handled in the 19th C.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2023, 03:40 PM   #6
mgolab

Thank you for the informational tips.

I sent images to the IORM museum and received a response.

The axe was not officially issued by the IORM, not made by the organization. Its origin is a mystery.

very interesting....