Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2005, 08:36 AM   #1
Andy Davis

Default German 6 handed sword!!

Hello people
OK I know its not an ethnic item but I have been so impressed by the knowledge on here, that I thought I'd get your opinions on this latest arrival.
Classic German 2 handed sword, though you could fit six on that handle. Pretty heavy but balance is excellent, so is certainly not unweildy. Total length is a mighty 5'8".
I dont believe this to be an original medival version but have read that they became symbols of authority for German towns/cities, right through to the 19thC. What do you think? Also, anybody recognise this armourers mark?
Cheers and hope it inspires some opinion
Andy
Attached Images

Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 01:48 PM   #2
tom hyle

I can't make that call, but is it folded or otherwise laminated steel (If so, proves not much, but if not, pretty well proves greater modernity)? It looks pretty nice to me, if nothing else, and is of a size that does not limit it to bearing sword, so in that regard it could be "real". The dropped edges beyond the parry hooks are not improper in their existence, but I'm not sure about their execution; neither about the ricassoe that is there, beyond the hooks, nor about the angularity of the "drop" (I think a cuved/humped profile to this change, when present is more usual?). Pretty vague stuff, I know.....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

I can't say I recognise the mark, but it looks like a lily to me - is it?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Andy Davis

Default The mark

It looks rather like a fleur da lie, worn away at the top but with two little feet. Seems to indicate its been stamped badly or be that the blade had been cleaned down a little harshly over time.
Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote