Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th May 2007, 01:22 AM   #1
katana

Default Can someone help with origin/age of this old machete

Hi,
bought this machete and wondered if anyone could help me with possible origin and age.

68 CMS. (26 3/4 IN.) QAL
BLADE MEASURES 55 CMS. (21 3/4 IN.) LONG AND IT 5.5 CMS. (2 1/4 IN.) AT THE WIDEST POINT.

THE BLADE IS MARKED WITH THE WORDING "P C SCHUITE GARANNTADO No.1".
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Henk

Hi Katana,

It is marked with P C SCHULTE. The word GARAN is clearly visible followed by possibly a T. The next two caracters are not visible followed by ADO.

Schulte is a Dutch or German name. The machete looks to me as a military machete. I've seen that kind of machetes that belonged to the equipment of the US soldiers in WWII. But I'm not sure it is a machete around WWII and of US origin.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 08:09 AM   #3
carlos

Default CUBA?

MAYBE IS A MACHETE USED BY THE SPANISH IN CUBA, AND IS " GARANTIZADO", THAT MEANS GUARANTEED.
REGARDS
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 03:31 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Keep in mind that Solingen was a major supplier of edged weapons, from fully furbished swords to machetes, blades, bayonets etc. to virtually all of Latin America from latter 19th century and into WWII in the 20th.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Henk

Carlos and Jim made a point. GARANTIZADO was probably the complete word, you can see the faint slash of the Z. And Solingen with the name SCHULTE wich in this case is a German name. The pronouncation in Dutch differs from the German pronouncation.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
katana

Thankyou,
for all your imput, Henk and Carlos. I agree that this machete has the look of a Collins US issue. Thanks for the translation, I did assume it meant 'guarantee(d)' but the wording given to me was incorrectly spelt and the 'Babelfish' translator had no answers.

Hi Jim, thanks for the information ...are you saying that this is a Solingen blade or.....possibly ?

I know that machetes are not 'top of the pile' with regards to weaponary....but they are interesting. A working man's tool and 'sword'. AFAIK most machete designs were copied from ethnic 'patterns', manufactured in the Industrial countries and then sold/traded with the peoples that 'inspired' the design in the first place. From an African point of view...many were adapted and 'Africanised'.
Martindale machete (British) often turn up as Masai Seme blades after they are reshaped/re-hilted.

I was hoping that this machete could be older than WW2 ....but can find no information on P C SCHULTE as the manufacture or supplier. The sheath offers no clues either.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote