Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2010, 12:30 PM   #61
colin henshaw

Hi Mark

The whole subject of West Africa, the slave trade, trade in gold, ivory etc and European contact and colonialism, is a huge one, and there are many good books on the subject.

Certainly, the sword has a connection with the slave trade and shipping, so I guess there is always a possibility that piracy could come into it somewhere... Research required !

Regards
Colin
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 02:13 PM   #62
M ELEY

Thanks, Colin for your input and PM on this piece. You are right about the research, but I am looking forward to it, as it is a fascinating and tragic tale. That dagger you had was an impressive piece. I'll let everyone know if there are any new developments...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 05:28 PM   #63
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Research required!!! I absolutely love those words!!!
Well done Colin, and I think you have presented the case for Africa with the hanger that is the original subject of this thread well. Excellent example from Ghana and good support for the styling.

While a distasteful topic, the West Coast of Africa's participation in the Atlantic slave trade is a necessarily recognized element of the history of these regions of Togo, Dahomey (now Benin) and West Nigeria.
With Dahomey the principal slave state of these, one of the key ports was that of Ouidah. The infamous 'triangular trade' from Africa to the West Indies and to England was well established in the opening years of the 18th century, and the export of slaves by Portuguese, French, Spanish and English carried them to the West Indies colonies as well as to Brazil.

Naturally, the 'Golden Age' of piracy was in its zenith in these times, and the lucrative commodities that comprised the ill gotten gains of this tragic industry were the target of the pirates...not to mention the desirable ships themselves.

In 1715, a fast, heavy galley, the Whydah (named for the key slave port of Ouidah) was launched to enter this trade. In 1717, this ship while nearing the Bahamas was set upon by the pirate Black Sam Bellamy and his crew in two ships, and captured. The Whydah served them well for the next two months and they plundered some 50 ships, but thier luck ran out April 26,1717 when they were headed back to Cape Cod with loads of plunder. The galley sank in a huge storm, and only 2 of 146 survived. Much of this detail is covered in a great exhibition and article by National Geographic.

The kingdom of Dahomey lasted until 1894, when it became part of French West Africa. While the term slave coast had long since given way, thankfully to other terms such as Ivory, Gold or simply West coasts, like many African regions, turbulence has constantly returned.

It would seem that the 'triangular trade' as well as the well established 'Spanish Main', which both concurrently existed in many of these common regions, would have presented profound diffusion of weapon forms through all of them.

I think this hanger well represents the much earlier influences of the 17th and 18th century in styling that seems to be crudely presented with materials that are more modern, and intended to recall in throwback fashion, these earlier weapons. The spiral gadroon cage around the grip seems to serve as a functional and sound cover around the wood.
What is interesting is the extended 'spur' of the knuckleguard which protrudes past the pommel, very similar it seems to some 17th century English hilts, especially on some of the hangers.

While it is hard to determine whether this sword was fashioned in more modern times to appear more like one of the early hangers to attract collectors, or for use among the well known illicit activities that still prevail, but in the time when swords were still viable as weapons at sea, is hard to say.

It is well known that pirates were deliberately ostentatiously, even dandyish in sometimes almost garish fashion, in almost a rebellious, taunting manner.
They were rebellious figures with no allegiance to nation, codes, mores, nor convention and they enjoyed certain flamboyant actions and appearance, much like celebrity characters or as the 'goth' genre and its followers.

It would not be hard to 'fathom' smugglers or such illicit enterprenuers of even early 20th century fabricating such weapons from probably the components of earlier weapons found in these regions in less than intact condition.

An optimistic perspective, but nevertheless I believe plausible.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:33 PM   #64
aiontay

Although it is a couple of centuries earlier than the weapon in question, Francis Drake got his start raiding the Spanish during a slave trading expedition run by John Hawkins. Hawkins may not have been a pirate, but his trading methods had more buccaneer than Better Business Bureau in them.
aiontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 01:09 AM   #65
katana

Hi Mark,
I thought this relavent to the thread.....here is one the members of my "Mystery Pile" .

An Africanised Cutless ....believed an european blade, scabbard and hilt 'style' ....strongly suggests West African, likely Ivory Coast. Patina of the blade suggest some age (possibly 18th C ) The right place, the right time (perhaps) for tales of slavery, of sea faring and of piracy .....well thats what I would like to believe

Interestingly Spain apparently continued in the slave trade, after the other countries had abolished it.

All the best
David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 03:52 AM   #66
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well noted Aiontay!!! Gotta love this pirate stuff!

David, very nice sabre.....appears to be Manding leatherwork from Mali, but trade carried into the coastal regions. A friend of a while back was Fulani, native of course to Saharan regions, who was from Guinea.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 19th January 2010, 04:25 AM   #67
Dmitry

My $.02
katana, 18th c. boarding cutlass blades are not curved nearly as much as the blade on your piece. Your blade also appears to be of far nicer quality and finish than almost any cutlass blade of that vintage. I don't know the size of your blade, but at this juncture to me it looks like a European saber style blade.

Last edited by Dmitry; 19th January 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 07:13 AM   #68
M ELEY

Thanks again to everyone for helping define the origins of this sword.

Jim, as always, the piracy trade continues to attract me to that dubious lifestyle and their weapons. I have always enjoyed the story of the Whydah and its connection with the "trade". Interesting how the ship avoided one life of savagery only to succomb to another. In one of my volumes on piracy, it is very well noted that when a ship was boarded, some of the cargoed slaves were offered their freedom to join the pirate crew. I could have imagined an earleir version of this sword being carried by such a crew member.

David, very nice piece and while Dmitry is probably correct as to its blade being from a cavalry saber, it still very possibly served life in a maritime fashion. I love the way these cultures used what weapons they had access to to make their own creations. The Berber sabers that used the 1797 Brit cavalry saber blades comes to mind.

P.S. Jim, where did you get that cool map from? Don't tell me you had that one stashed in the book mobile?-
Old 19th January 2010, 03:25 PM   #69
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In looking further at David's 'mystery cutlass' which as noted, seems to have a blade, obviously cut down and modified, with mounts reflecting West African influences. As also previously described the scabbard features the styling suggesting those of the Manding in Mali regions, and the hilt overall has a vestigial block type crossguard recalling those on takouba or simply the shouldered guard on many forms of edged weapons. The overall impression of the leather covered hilt may also reflect the Mandara regions bordering Cameroon and Nigeria, often raided for acquiring slaves. Perhaps weapons from these regions might have influenced the individual fashioning this weapon.

Now heres a speculative note which may draw some excitement. I have been thinking about this modified blade, and that it appears by the line of what seems to have been one with a pronounced parabolic curve. While there were obviously some sabres in Europe that followed this very Eastern style, the sword that comes to mind is the 2nd model of Virginia Manufactory sabre produced about 1803-20). The interesting rudimentary false edge on this blade (very much like the 'clipped point' of latter 18th century) is also similar to those on some cavalry sabres by this firm, Rose and Starr.

These cavalry sabres were used in the Seminole wars, Mexican American war and by the time of the Civil War, the blades were severely cut down. The Virginia Manufactory blades were deeply curved, and measured a stunning 39 1/4" from hilt to tip in a straight line as originally produced.

It is of course well known that there was considerable trade activity with the Southern states during the Civil War via Gulf Coast ports and the Caribbean, which certainly entered the spheres of routes that reached Africa. To imagine that these American cavalry blades might have reached West Africa via the well established routes from the Caribbean and ports along the Gulf of Mexico seems remarkably plausible.

Although of course profoundly optimistic, it is compelling to think that this unusually curved blade, mounted in distinctly West African styled scabbard and hilt, may well have been present in these 19th century circumstances.

Mark, the Whydah story truly is fascinating, and it seems there were some artifacts, but I cannot recall swords. I believe the other slave ship which was found was the 'Henrietta Marie' which I think David Moore told me about. This was years ago when I was talking with Wayne Lusardi who was diving on the 'Queen Annes Revenge', Blackbeards ship. I was constantly prodding him to find some swords....and we laughed because 'all they found were cannons' !! The Henrietta Marie, if I recall, did have some hilts of old English hangers, and I keep thinking of the 'hilt spur' which seems to be from such English hangers of the Hounslow types.

Wish I could say I have the pirate resources here in the jolly bookmobile ..but that map was in me trusty google!!

All the best,
Jim

attached Virginia Manufactory 2nd type (1801-1820) in orig form
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th January 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:03 AM   #70
katana

Hi Jim,
interesting theory Holmes I didn't intend to hijack Mark's thread, but because I would dearly love to 'promote' this sabre from the mystery pile to the 'could possibly be' pile, I will start another thread.

Never really thought of 'The Americas' influences, possibly occuring in Western Africa.
I wonder whether places like Cuba etc may have had a small fleet of 'slavers'.....possibly partially crewed with slaves or 'trustees'
There is the possibility,however remote, that Mark's sword is a Spanish colonial piece...perhaps re-hilted in Africa or rehilted by an African slave. Many Africans captured would have had skills or trades ....some could have been blacksmiths

Best
David

Last edited by katana; 20th January 2010 at 01:36 AM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 01:14 AM   #71
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Ahh, the Whydah Galley .

My lips ae sealed ......... LOLZ !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Thanks again to everyone for helping define the origins of this sword.

Jim, as always, the piracy trade continues to attract me to that dubious lifestyle and their weapons. I have always enjoyed the story of the Whydah and its connection with the "trade". Interesting how the ship avoided one life of savagery only to succomb to another. In one of my volumes on piracy, it is very well noted that when a ship was boarded, some of the cargoed slaves were offered their freedom to join the pirate crew. I could have imagined an earleir version of this sword being carried by such a crew member.

David, very nice piece and while Dmitry is probably correct as to its blade being from a cavalry saber, it still very possibly served life in a maritime fashion. I love the way these cultures used what weapons they had access to to make their own creations. The Berber sabers that used the 1797 Brit cavalry saber blades comes to mind.

P.S. Jim, where did you get that cool map from? Don't tell me you had that one stashed in the book mobile?-
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 03:14 AM   #72
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Ahh, the Whydah Galley .

My lips ae sealed ......... LOLZ !!
more if the brethren of the sea emerge!!!
Old 24th January 2010, 08:33 AM   #73
M ELEY

Default Strange how life works...

Well, I made the decision to part with the African cutlass (my collecting is only supported by selling off or trading other items) and sold it to pay for a piece on eBay. Take a look-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It is a Dutch Marine sabal/saber circa 1790. According to Gilkerson/Boarders Away, it is thought that the ones without Dutch markings, rack numbers, etc, were imported to the U.S. during the Quazi War for ship use by the newly reformed U.S. Marines. In any case, while doing a general search on Google for other Dutch swords, I coincidentally stumbled upon this specimen-

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ad...p?itemID=14911

Look familiar? That hilt wrap resembles the one just sold. So, I'm assuming this to be West African or???

Last edited by M ELEY; 24th January 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 24th January 2010, 03:15 PM   #74
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent call on this 'Civil War' sabre Mark!!!! Even though damaged, a most unusual item that has distinct possibilities....you've got quite the eagle eye there to spot that one as Dutch...Gilkerson is definitely a valuable resource.

I'm inclined to think that the guy in Houston has this sabre pegged pretty accurately, and it very well might be Dutch and of Revolutionary War period, after all, New York and environs were early Dutch settlements. The connections to the Netherlands in these colonial times were profound.
As far as the style of wrap, it seems more 'period' than place, and quite honestly with the amount of diffusion in trade, colonial activity and of course warfare in these times, without well supported provenance, any assessment must remain mostly speculation in my opinion.
In the case of the sabre posted here, the speculation seems compelling.

All the best,
Jim

P.S. Mark, thank you so much for keeping it going with these colonial and maritime topics!!! You really keep things intriguing and fun!!

Here is the sabre from Houston shown as possibly Revolutionary War period Dutch...need to check Neumann on this one
Attached Images

Old 24th January 2010, 10:22 PM   #75
celtan

Personally, I'd rather help them submerge...

: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
more if the brethren of the sea emerge!!!
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 11:07 PM   #76
celtan

Ah yes, the San Juan de Ulua "trading" expedition..?

I believe both Drake and Hawkins were indeed pirates, since they often attacked and captured ships that belonged to nations not at war with England, such as Portugal, and initially Spain. In fact, right at the beginning of their Veracruz voyage, they had alraedy captured two ships, one of them portuguese.

They would also attack small coastal villages and plunder them at will. Indeed, a lot of the trading they conducted was of the "or else..." type.
When they could steal they did, and when it suited them, they threatened and traded.

In Veracuz, they had already taken by surprise its small local fort, and crewed the artillery pieces with their own soldiers. They had also taken hostages amongst locals which came to greet the pirates, fooled into believing they were Spanish.

The good Fortune for the locals was that the opportunely arriving Spanish fleet, which trapped Hawkins, had one fighting Galleon amongst the merchant ships.

If Drake had been captured, he would have been hung in the gallows, as any pirate would. Which doesn't negate the fact that he was an astute and courageous sailor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiontay
Although it is a couple of centuries earlier than the weapon in question, Francis Drake got his start raiding the Spanish during a slave trading expedition run by John Hawkins. Hawkins may not have been a pirate, but his trading methods had more buccaneer than Better Business Bureau in them.
Old 24th January 2010, 11:40 PM   #77
celtan

Hi D,

Slave trade virtually ceased to exist in Spain after 1760, when all the Islamic slaves in Spain were sold to the Sultan Of Morocco.

Spain did try to stop the slave trade within its dominions, but the American colonies refused to accept this, since most of their local industries were based in slave work. Curiously, the creole-supported revolutions did end slavery in the former colonies, albeit it was the creole financial elite which had insisted on it in their differences with the Metropolis.

Since 1805, Spain tried to put into place abolitionist policies. Yet, even after the Revolutionary Wars in America, it was a colony, Cuba, which prevented the passing of these laws. Cuba was so profitable, that its custom revenues paid by itself all of the expenses of the Spanish Government..! What Cuba wanted, it usually got.

Heck, In the 1860s, the Cuban criollos economic elite even threatened to join the USA if Spain forced the issue.

Slavery was abolished in Spain de facto in 1873 with the outing of Amadeo de Saboya as King, who had persistently refused to take action on same, as requested by the Spanish people. Slavery was then generally condemned all through Spain.

Even so, the number of slaves and involvement in the slave trade for Spain was puny, compared to the US, England et al. Most of the slaves in Spanish territories were in fact acquired from England et al.

LBNL, IIRC, Brasil outlawed slavery even later. And if truth be known, slavery is still alive and well in many regions of the globe, even on our enlightened third millennnium.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Mark,

Interestingly Spain apparently continued in the slave trade, after the other countries had abolished it.

All the best
David
Old 25th January 2010, 09:00 AM   #78
M ELEY

Hello Jim,

OK, so it was Dutch after all. I guess I was thrown a curve ball with that little sword I had that looked so European being W. African. At least I've learned much about certain types of African swords copying patterns of the west.
Yes, Gilkerson's books are trusted titles for naval weapons. I still hope to someday purchase a copy of Sim Comfort's Naval swords and Dirks, once it's price drops below $300!
Old 25th January 2010, 08:26 PM   #79
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very well explained and well placed notes and great perspective on the pirate and slaving topics Manolo!! Your knowledge in the history of these regions is always impressive, and I always appreciate the detail you add.

Mark, curves are pretty much to be expected look at the outcome with my 'Confederate' adventure with the West African sword moved to the companion thread, Dmitry has presented what appears to be the perfect blade source....oh well. I sorta liked the Confederate idea....but I guess it's better for movie scripts

The Sim Comfort book is definitely something to aspire to, but I fear these type books dont usually come down, unless they get reprints or subsequent editions.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 25th January 2010, 10:59 PM   #80
Dmitry

Sim Comfort's book will never come down in price, unless you manage to track one down on a used market. It will only go out in price, once it sells out. Complete 2 vol. Annis and May sets routinely go for $500 today.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 12:40 AM   #81
M ELEY

I did like your theory of a Confederate origin and I still feel strongly that ALL opinions and theories should be entertained until something difinitive can be suggested. Regardless, that is a very cool sword. Civil War is not my specialty, so I watched the thread with much interest, if nothing valuable to add. I still enjoy the detective work involved in all of these threads. That's half the fun after all...

Dmitry, I have no doubt you are probably right. Sooooo...do you happen to have a used copy of Sim's book? ( ). Jus' kiddin.

BTW, the sword arrived today and it's a nice piece. Happy with it despite the damage to the guard. It is the Dutch Marine. The original pattern with 3 barred hilt can be seen in Neumann's, S48. This later version had 2 bars. No marking on blade whatsoever...suggesting Gilkerson's (and others) theory that it is one of the 1300 "Dutch naval swords" shipped to the U.S. Navy/Marine Corp during the 1790-1800 period. The Dutch pieces not for export were heavily marked (I have seen a few). The ONLY thing is my acquision does have fullers for the length of the blade. Needs more research as the sketch in "Boarders Away" doesn't appear to have them. Most naval swords of the period didn't have fullers, but again, more research...
Old 26th January 2010, 05:01 AM   #82
M ELEY

LOL!