Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Mark

Post Announcing "History of Steel in East Asia"

The post about the PI exhibition reminded me that I had not yet made an announcement of this on the forum.

"History of Steel in East Asia" is an exhibition being put on by the Macau Museum of Art, under the direction of Antonio Cejunior. The exhibition will open on May 12, and run until August.

It is composed of five sections, each representing a different region of East Asia: China, Korea, Japan, the Philippine Islands, and Continental Southeast Asia. Shown will be an historical array of weapons from each region. The design of the exhibition is intended not only to place the weapons within the historical and cultural perspective of their respective regions, but also to highlight the relationships and influences between the regions.

The catalogue will be in full color, with comprehensive articles written by experts in the respective areas, for the most part private collectors. It is a unique collaboration of individuals and institutions around the world, including a number of people from the EAA forum (among which I am proud to be counted). The original catalogue will be in three languages (Chinese, Portuguese and English), as is standard for the Museum. An English-only edition is planned, but will depend on finding a reliable distributor.

Antonio has put up an announcement page here. As with the MMA's exhibition Masters of Fire, there will also be an on-line exhibition and website about the show. Here is a thread on Antonio's forum where he has posted a couple draft advertisements for the show.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
ariel

How can I get a catalogue?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Mark

You should be able to order the tri-lingual one through the Museum once its out. I don't have details on that, but I can find out how it would work.

The English-only version, should a distributor be found, would be via a difference system that would depend on who was distributing.
Old 12th April 2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Andrew

I'm really looking forward to this.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivkin

If there is no distributor to be found, would it be possible to sell an electronic version of the english version ?
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 09:06 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I know that I will want more than one copy of the original catalogue ; one for myself (another proud contributor) and one for investment value .

"Gonna buy five copies for my Mother..."

Cover of the Rolling Stone by Dr. Hook
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 09:08 PM   #7
micas

I will definitely be going to this one.
micas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up A must see exhibition if you can get there ...

I'm hoping to be in the vicinity of Macau on business in the middle of the year and will drop by for a few hours. Antonio Cejunior has pulled together an incredible amount of material, with quite a lot of help from members of this Forum. You know who you are ...

This type of exhibition is very unusual, especially in Asia, and I think it will give a boost to interest in Asian and SE Asian weaponry. That's certainly part of Antonio's goal.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 02:34 AM   #9
Andrew

Thumbs up FINAL EXHIBITION POSTER

Antonio has unveiled the final Exhibition Poster:

Additional information may be found here:
http://www.bladesignforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1668#1668
Old 26th April 2006, 02:37 AM   #10
Andrew

I note Ian's beautiful dha made the poster. I love that sword.
Old 26th April 2006, 03:11 AM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Ahem !

Well , that kris makes two from this forum's membership .
Old 26th April 2006, 03:19 AM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Rick is correct. The members of this Forum have shared in helping get this exhibition together, and have contributed a substantial number of swords. I hope to be able to see this wonderful exhibition later this year.

Ian.
Old 26th April 2006, 04:43 AM   #13
Andrew

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Well , that kris makes two from this forum's membership .

I thought that one looked familiar, as well. Gorgeous!
Old 26th April 2006, 05:23 AM   #14
Antonio Cejunior

Smile THANKS AND MORE INFO

Hi Everyone,

First of all let me post the final poster. Catalogue cover will be very similar.

If each of you guys who are interested just emails artmuseum@iacm.gov.mo and just place on the Subject of the Email: Want to purchase History of Steel Catalog or something similar (please let's not have an email stencil, use some imagination ) you may convince decision makers to find a solution which is already being attempted to be solved right now.

Then it is time to thank Rick Bates, Federico Malibago, Jose Albovias, Mark Bowditch, Andrew Winston, Ian Greaves, Barry Parks, Jonathan Vergara, Ron Zambarrano, Bill Swanson, for their generosity in contributing.

For many other reasons that I would prefer to stay personal, Rick Bates was very important, but so was Mark, both listening patiently to my prayers and my venting, Jose Albovias and Ian for they know what.

But folks, the worst is still to come. An exhibition like this would normally take years to organize. I know this perfectly well, but with our time limitations connected with budgets that have to be fulfilled in the same year, this is the best I can offer.
So the setting up will be a whole lot craze going on. Sleepless nights...

Anyway, thank you very much folks.
Everyone is wonderful in their contributions and the trust you put in me.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2006, 03:37 PM   #15
Mark

Thumbs up

And thank you, Antonio, for creating this, and your dedication in bringing it to us. It is a pleasure and an honor to be involved.
Old 26th April 2006, 08:24 PM   #16
ariel

Antonio,
I can only imagine the amount of work you invested and the "butterflies in the stomach" you are going to have just before the opening!
Best of luck!
Can you be a focal point of selling these catalogues to Forumites?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 01:22 AM   #17
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
And thank you, Antonio, for creating this, and your dedication in bringing it to us. It is a pleasure and an honor to be involved.
Mark,

I also forgot to thank EEWS for which I offer my humble apologies.
Actually each of you have been so dedicated that my dedication is nothing.
This exhibition brought me to admire many people and EEWS by itself.

The honor is all mine and I will not share it.
Hey, we are speaking as if the exhibition is on. It is not and there are sleepless nights ahead of me, many!!! Yiiikes
Old 27th April 2006, 01:28 AM   #18
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Rick is correct. The members of this Forum have shared in helping get this exhibition together, and have contributed a substantial number of swords. I hope to be able to see this wonderful exhibition later this year.

Ian.
Hi Ian,

True. And I cannot thank you all enough.
It has been an incredible proof of great transcultural understanding and convergence of wills. This is a true lesson from all the contributors, about how a Peaceful event can be made with instruments of war.

I must've missed many posts in this thread because my viewing mode was different from linear. I could not see. Now I found out I could get back to "normal" viewing.

Please bear in mind that the Exhibition ends on August 8.

Kindest regards,

Antonio
Old 27th April 2006, 01:34 AM   #19
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Antonio,
I can only imagine the amount of work you invested and the "butterflies in the stomach" you are going to have just before the opening!
Best of luck!
Can you be a focal point of selling these catalogues to Forumites?
Ariel,

The amount of work was by many. I'm just the put-together-guy.
It's been 28 years, and I lost all those butterflies, he he. I just want to see this complete.

I apologize, I cannot be the focal point for sale of these catalogues. This could be interpreted as corruption. I don't want to have anything to do with sales, if you understand me. It has to go through proper chanels which I do not want to be connected. There's an email up this thread.
The more folks email, the better. Then just please bear a little. This is a work that started two and a half years ago.

Thanks
Old 28th April 2006, 08:06 PM   #20
Mark

Here is that e-mail address for ordering catalogues and posters, again:

artmuseum@iacm.gov.mo

Put in the subject line something like "Request for History of Steel catalogue," or "History of Steel catalogue [or poster] order."
Old 29th April 2006, 09:47 AM   #21
Antonio Cejunior

Default SOME PICTURES

Well folks,

I didn't invent bureaucracy and red tape and I dislike it.
I'm a field man when the time comes.

Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite

Bare display room.

Goodies arrive by car

Early tests.

Now you have to wait and see

Have a nice weekend
Old 1st May 2006, 04:35 PM   #22
Andrew

Thumbs up

Thank you, Antonio. It's a real treat to see how an exhibition like this comes together.

If time permits, please continue to post updates.

Best,
Andrew
Old 3rd May 2006, 12:23 AM   #23
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Thank you, Antonio. It's a real treat to see how an exhibition like this comes together.

If time permits, please continue to post updates.

Best,
Andrew
Most kind of you Andrew,

Time is very scarce. It will be stress up to the last minute. This is a whale of an exhibition And I guess if the exhibition was not inside my mind... it would be really scary. It is still scary to mount almost 300 items.

Meantime a picture about an overall presentation of the exhibition for the volunteer guides.

Here is a picture of the mountain people from Mark's site.
They will be guiding schools and so forth.

Very best,
Antonio
Old 6th May 2006, 02:26 AM   #24
Andrew

Cool

Outstanding, Antonio. I'm getting quite excited about the exhibition.

I know the catalogue release will be delayed because of its great size and scope but, in a way, this makes not being there that much easier because once the exhibition closes, we'll still have something to look forward to!
Old 6th May 2006, 02:45 AM   #25
Antonio Cejunior

Thanks Andrew,

Indeed the design department is treating each of the 278 photos (if I well remember) by removind unwanted things in the background, and so forth.

Nonetheless, here is a picture of the center display case which has two sides facing two opposite walls.

Prepared to be painted black.

Here I'm directing the placement of partitions to visually separate different periods in the Korean display section.

Then with the partitions hung and the frame painted black and still a lot of mess. When the ceiling lights are turned off, everything will look dark.
Only display cases lights will show its contents.

Off to work in an hour... Now its a non-stop until it's done.

As soon as the design department has pictures I will upload them and hope to see the website finished.

Thank you for your kind words.
Old 12th May 2006, 09:50 PM   #26
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question Grand Opening Tonight ?

The Dateline always confuses me .
Is the premier tonight , tomorrow , or was it yesterday ?
Old 13th May 2006, 12:48 PM   #27
Antonio Cejunior

Default Exhibition Opening

No problem Rick,

It is earlier here, meaning that May 12 came earlier to Macau then to the US. Average time difference is twelve hours.

I wish to thank everyone of you involved, and while the site is not finished, I've uploaded the opening pictures here

Hope you all enjoy enjoy early pictures.
Now I need to sleep

Bless you all
Old 14th May 2006, 07:01 PM   #28
Mark

Thumbs up

Bravo, Antonio! It is so exciting to see it all there, and the public examining the exhibits so intently.
Old 14th May 2006, 09:23 PM   #29
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Excellent ...

We all thank you, Antonio, for the immense amount of work you put into this exhibition -- from conception to opening.

Well done.

Ian.
Old 15th May 2006, 12:04 AM   #30
Antonio Cejunior

Smile Too kind of you

Hello Mark and Ian,

Your worst are most kind but undeserving. I had the idea, but you guys, and I would like to publicly thank you all:

Mark, Andrew, Ian, Federico Malibago, Jose Albovias Jr., Rick, Barry Parks, Jonathan Vergara, Ron Zambarrano and William Swanson for your generous contributions without which this exhibition would have not been possible.

It may seem like a cliché, but it isn't. I believe in one thing, and that is fairness and gratefulness. You have all given a lesson to the world about generosity.

When I was setting up the exhibition, I once more saw all those beauties and thought to myself: they did trust me. That brought an immense respect on all of you. So I thank you all for the trust.

When the catalogue is ready you will know, as with about over 280 photographs it is going to be a dictionary of 400 pages. And that huge book will show the acknowledgements on one of the first pages.
Gratefulness is mainly remembering what good things have been done unto us.
Therefore, like the Chinese clap hands back, because their culture tells them not to accept applauses, I wish to applaud you all for your civic attitude, for your spirit of detachment, and for the fact that each of you gentlemen, gave a great contribution for this exhibition to take place.

So, Bravo everyone!

Oh, I will also put up a special forum directly linked to the website's menu when it is ready so we all can discuss, comment, etc.

Bless you all.