Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th May 2013, 02:18 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Caribbean Spanish colonial cuphilt rapier

Pics to follow soon!

I thought I would be 85 by the time I could afford one of these, but it came 40 years early ( ). Finally got time to post a few pics of this not-too-often seen example of cuphilt.

Picked this one up for a song! It's a colonial piece, circa 1700, similar to its European cousin, but with characteristics that make its origin clear. Plain cup hilt exhibiting simple line work where the guardo pulvo (spelling?) would be. Solid horn grip hollowed out to allow the tang to pass through. The quillons are more decorative than most, possessing a rounded end with adjoining rings. I particularly like the branches coming off the knuckle bow to join the cup. The kicker is the mushroom-shaped pommel so defining of these Caribbean pieces. On top of pommel is an odd shaped design that resembles a pair of lips! Very odd and not a casting flaw as it is raised up. Long, straight plain rapier blade with single fuller, blade length is almost 38". It makes a welcome addition to my 'scurvy pirate' collection. Aarrrr!

For listed examples, see-

'Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America:1700-1821', by Brinckerhoff/Chamberlain- plates 125-126

'Arms and Armor in Colonial America', by Peterson- pg 74.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 12th May 2013 at 06:01 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Oh man !
Now you can tell you are a real swords collector .
But if ever you get bored of it, warn me when you toss it over (the ocean); i will make sure i will pick up before it hits the ground ... assuring no damage .
Will you ever be able to take a clear picture of the bowl interior, where the guardapolvo sometimes stands ?

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
M ELEY

Hello Fernando. Good to hear from you! I thought this one might catch your attention. Forgive me, as I have used the wrong term in my description ( ). I was referring to the absence of the overlap along the rim of the bowl , called ? rompas? Not the guardopovlo, of which mine has none. I was looking back over the fine specimens you have posted over the years, but could not find the term for the controversial rim to catch the opponent's blade (I believe the past consensus on this is that the rompas might deflect the point momentarily in battle at best).

Oh, BTW, now I am telling you I am "a real sword collector!"-
Old 13th May 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
fernando

The term is rompe-puntas (in portuguese quebra pontas)... in other words point breaker.
I belong to the team skeptical about such feature purpose corresponding to what it is claimed for; even Zorro would sweat his mask to catch a blade point in that narrow groove .
My wishing to see a picture of the bowl interior was to check whether there are some sword smiths mark in there.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
M ELEY

No, unfortunately there are no markings or symbols in the bowl or on the tang. Not to get off the subject, but on my Spanish bilbo, there is a marking of an arrow, complete with feathers, pointing downwards. Would you happen to know that symbol, my friend? The blade is the typical six-sided affair with a rounded tip. Were the blades on bilbos and cuphilts ever made by the German sword smiths, like in England? I know that is an odd question, but it seems that many countries were importing from that region of the world back then-
Old 14th May 2013, 01:30 PM   #6
fernando

I wouldn't know that mark, but i guess there was a rather active exchange between Toledo and Solingen blades back in that period ... and not only
Old 14th May 2013, 10:48 PM   #7
M ELEY

Just curious. The arrow marking reminded me of a German smith mark I had seen once. I know Solingen sword blades went to the Spanish colonies and were indoctrinated into Spanish pieces by local smiths. I used to have that broadsword ( a colonial piece with brass lion hilt) with the Solingen marking, German smith's or merchant's names and the typical Span motto 'Do not draw me without reason, etc, etc). The three merchants on the blade had some history to them. My research showed that they mad made their way to S. America ca.1800-05 and were selling their crafts to local residents. I kind of doubted that Solingen blades would have been used on a piece made in the main country of Spain, as Toledo made some of the best pieces in the world at that time and were their competitor.
Old 17th May 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
... I kind of doubted that Solingen blades would have been used on a piece made in the main country of Spain, as Toledo made some of the best pieces in the world at that time and were their competitor.
You know the concept of best, Mark. It is like Miss World election. They determine who is the best among the ones brought up to contest; but we all know girls out there that would beat those elected by miles.
Which blades were best ... Toledo, Solingen (Passau), or even those from other 'no name' origins ?
But i bet the key point here is that of a statistic basis. Spain had huge sword demands due to their colonies occupation. This would be a coherent explanation for blades having to be massively imported (from Solingen) to cope with their needs. This would make it plausible that a private sword would be (all) made in Toledo and setups with Solingen blades were more often found in Military and New World examples.
Hope this makes some sense; no scholar knowledge here .
Old 17th May 2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely perfectly explained Nando!
The Toledo reputation long established had remained, while the Castilian economy was in virtual collapse in the 17th and well through 18th. The German smiths, i.e. Coel, had also been present among Spanish makers, but the industry itself basically deferred to Solingen.

Regarding the arrow mark on the bilbo, while I can only estimate without an image, I would suggest that it may have developed from that mark of crossed arrows used by J Konigs (1587-1607) or further to the other chronology the Clauberg group (1847-1866). Obviously the 'bilbo' as a military 'arming' type sword seems to have been used from late in the first half of the 18th c. into the 19th, and saw extensive Spanish colonial use in Cuba, and Gulf regions with eventual move into interior New Spain.
It has been well established that Solingen produced many blades for the Spanish and destined for colonial mounts from around 1760s possibly even earlier. Many were of course those with 'Spanish motto' and the familiar hexagon section 'dragoon' blades.

I dont know which German smiths were in the Americas, but am curious on more on this. Perhaps related to Eickhorn who was a main supplier of swords and blades to Latin America by end of the 19thc.

Returning to this magnificent example arming rapier, I would say it likely is from first quarter 18th c. and as noted certainly Caribbean. While obviously the hilt is well crafted it is known that Spanish artisans were by this time well established in the ports of call on the Spanish Main.
To add a dash of literary romanticism this is the period immediately following the end of the 'Golden Age' of piracy, and in regions where the Spanish Main was ever active, well within that of the immortal work of Stevenson, "Treasure Island". Spanish officers in the New World still used these kinds of swords while at sea as well as ashore, and it is well known despite the often noted 'cavalry' character in blade length. I believe this was largely in that officers used swords in directing and command, and these were well visible, as officers were not typically in the melee where short, stout blades were more effective.

Well done Captain Mark!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:10 AM   #10
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... Well done Captain Mark!!!
Time we promote him to Admiral
Old 18th May 2013, 05:42 AM   #11
M ELEY

Yay! Do I get to wear a big, feathered hat, like Barbossa?!

Thank you gents for all of the important comments you made. It's what makes collecting so addictive to me: the history behind the piece. I remember in a previous thread where we had shown a direct correlation with these arming swords used by officers (and bilbo cavalry types by soldiers) on both the Spanish and Portuguese treasure fleets. I wanted a definitive naval connection and we were able to pin it down for sure!

Jim, I do know that the firm of Schimmelbusch and Joest came to Central and South America around 1810's and had researched them (they were the swordsmiths that had made that old lion-hilt Spanish broadsword ca. 1800 I used to own). They were active in the Spanish colonies, but were also well known for their other contracts, including the m1811 Prussian cavalry swords as well as Austrian broadsword/cavalry types of the period. It remains unclear to me, though, if they were the makers or just the merchants of such. Kind of like the Birmingham gun 'makers', who were actually just peddlers but went so far as to mark the weapons as their own!

Last edited by M ELEY; 18th May 2013 at 06:33 AM.