Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd October 2021, 06:15 PM   #1
Tea

Default Kothimora Kukri

Greetings Everyine,

I would like to receive some information about the Kukri here-under.
Also I have a few questions:
- Do you think the scabbard and the kukri where meant to go together as a whole: the scabbard is about 5cm longer than the blade which seems like a lot to me.
- Would anabody be able to guess the date of the kukri and of the scabbard? Do you think it's an antique?
- Obviously their is a piece missing at the pommer (I'm guessing a brass plate) however the overall construction seems weird to me: I don't see the tang of the blade instead it seems like their is wood shimmed inside the horn handle. Would anybody have some information on the construction?

Please forgive my English it's not my mother tongue
Attached Images

Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:19 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

The scabbard is very nicely worked, while the knife is sub-average, so I see a miss-match.

Adding the fact that the scabbard is significantly longer, I would say it does not belong to this blade.

PS: Scabbards are usually longer than the blade, but not that much. I also seem to notice a slight difference in curvature between the scabbard and blade.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:46 PM   #3
Tea

Thank you mariusgmioc for this first answer.
I am suspecting a mismatch as well.
By any chance would you have a clue as to the production period of either the scabbard or the kukri? (since the chance of a mismatch is quite high I suppose the production dates can vary as well)
Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 11:53 AM   #4
kronckew

Definite mismatch. Kothimora would have had a scabbard made specifically fitted to a better blade. Pommel cap has a section missing. Sword of shiva is nicely done, tho. The 'eyebrow mark in front of it is possibly an armoury mark. Lack of broken spine is usually a sign of earlier mfg. but also found in more recently made ones. Looks like it has a partial tang held on by laha (himalayan epoxy') that is the norm. Probably will need a new grip in a few decades of hard use. The forward edge of the bolster being serrated is a bit odd.

Nice scabbard!

My Hanshee Kothimora khukuri for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 4th October 2021 at 12:17 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 01:03 PM   #5
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
Definite mismatch. Kothimora would have had a scabbard made specifically fitted to a better blade. Pommel cap has a section missing. Sword of shiva is nicely done, tho. The 'eyebrow mark in front of it is possibly an armoury mark. Lack of broken spine is usually a sign of earlier mfg. but also found in more recently made ones. Looks like it has a partial tang held on by laha (himalayan epoxy') that is the norm. Probably will need a new grip in a few decades of hard use. The forward edge of the bolster being serrated is a bit odd.

Nice scabbard!

My Hanshee Kothimora khukuri for reference.
A very early archaic kukri from around the second half of the 18th Century. later scabbard.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 04:22 PM   #6
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBA View Post
A very early archaic kukri from around the second half of the 18th Century. later scabbard.

I know. The red tinfoil under the fretwork is also a later addition to the scabbard. The scabbard is still fitted to the blade. Scabbards come and go, it probably lived in a std. plain black one before being promoted, like my other salyani, without the belt frog bit tho, and would have been carried in a sash. This later one has a substantial full length tang peened over a keeper on the pommel.
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2021, 04:36 PM   #7
kronckew

When the Alpacalypse comes. this is the one I'll hang on my baldric. I call her Godzilla.
I have others.
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2021, 01:00 PM   #8
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea View Post
Thank you mariusgmioc for this first answer.
I am suspecting a mismatch as well.
By any chance would you have a clue as to the production period of either the scabbard or the kukri? (since the chance of a mismatch is quite high I suppose the production dates can vary as well)
The scabbard is likely earlier than the kukri here and both somewhere around the second quarter of the 20th century or maybe a bit later.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2022, 07:59 PM   #9
BBJW

Default Kothimora Kukri

Definitely a mismatch. Kukri is likely post WW2 and scabbard pre. judging by the wear. - bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 01:16 PM   #10
David R

My own Kothimora is a miss match and I can think of many many reasons for this happening. Blades and scabbards are often separated by incident, accident and the passing of time. Blades get worn out, scabbards get damaged and dealers will put stuff together to get a better looking piece and a better price. In cultures where a blade is a marker of rank and masculinity the owner will regularly upgrade the mounts and scabbard while keeping the blade that has served him well when needed.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 06:31 PM   #11
Duccio

Hello everyone,
I would like to know from khukri experts if this purchase of mine is just tourist stall stuff or not. I was curious about the horn handle, carved in a rather unusual shape. For the rest, both the knife and the scabbard seem very recent to me.
Thanks to those who will be able to tell me something.
Attached Images

Duccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 06:58 PM   #12
kai

Lightbulb

Try using it...
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:55 PM   #13
kronckew

The scabbard & rounded blade spine are an old style, designed for sash carry rather than a belt. Handle carving looks uncomfortable for everyday use. Real working khuks are generally made now of car/truck spring steel, high carbon. And differentially hardened around the 'sweet spot' of the blade where you chop, and softer near the tip and pommel ends so that they bend rather than snap in half. You can straighten a bent blade it the field, but a snapped blade is essentially useless. They typically have a short stub tang held in the grip by Himalayan epoxy (called laha, pine resin and buffalo dung with a dash of beeswax and brick dust. it's a form cutler cement). Full length tangs and full exposed tangs & rivets grip slabs are more for western owners. Nepalis figure a stub tang will only last about 5 years of heavy use before they need to replace the grip. full tang will last ten, an exposed 'chiruwa' tang and slabs will last twenty, and the blade will last generations. Most users out in the country can either make their own replacement grips, or have a village smith who can do it cheaply for them.

Anyway, yours looks like a relatively inexpensive decorative piece for rememberance by those who travel. I suspect it's relatively small sized for a khuk.
Old 4th February 2022, 06:19 PM   #14
BBJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccio View Post
Hello everyone,
I would like to know from khukri experts if this purchase of mine is just tourist stall stuff or not. I was curious about the horn handle, carved in a rather unusual shape. For the rest, both the knife and the scabbard seem very recent to me.
Thanks to those who will be able to tell me something.
The carved grip is called a 'garuda'. The karda and chakmak appear to be low quality replacements.-- bbjw

Last edited by BBJW; 4th February 2022 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling error mistype
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 12:28 AM   #15
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Kitchen Confidential

My century old Kukri is used quite frequently at our house. I don't use it for veggies really; but if you want to split a chicken breast or a whole bird it is my go-to knife for such work.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote